GoPro Video Settings

Reaction score
What are your preferred settings for filming with a gopro?

Superview?
1080p?
2.7k?
Video+Stills at the same time?

Please let me know.

So far I have been using 1080p superview at 60fps. I just want to know what everyone else is doing.

This question has been posted many times. Use the search function before posting to avoid reposts. Short answer is it depends on what you're filming, what you want to do with the footage, and lighting condition. Personally, I mostly use 1080p Wide 60 during the day and 30 in low light conditions.

Sorry for the repost. Is there a way the moderators can "sticky" that thread. I found the "range" thread with pages upon pages of range/antenna information. However, I couldn't find the thread about film settings

superraz375 said:
What are your preferred settings for filming with a gopro?

Superview?
1080p?
2.7k?
Video+Stills at the same time?

Please let me know.

So far I have been using 1080p superview at 60fps. I just want to know what everyone else is doing.

depends on what you want to do with the vid.

For posting online (youtube/vimeo) 720 is HD and more than enough
I usually shoot in 1080p
30 fps is plenty unless you want to slo-mo things. if so go to 60 or for super slo 120 fps at 720
I like medium FOV (field of view) over wide = less fisheye

so i generally go with 1080p/30fps/medium unless i plan to edit some slow motion, then i will bump to 1080 60fps

This is a really hard question to answer because really good shots are really contrived shots, meaning you have to have some idea of how you'll use the footage before you shoot. Are you going to track? Use wipe transitions? You get the idea...

As a general rule I'm shooting 1080p wide 60fps, but use 30fps in low light (lets more light in). I'm still trying to work out something for tracking as wide seems problematic. I'm experimenting with Defishr, but it seems likely that only normal mode will allow for tracking.

THe problem I found with shooting 1080p is that you get the propellers to be captured a lot, which I don´t like. I found that 1440p gives you room for cropping them out in post. The only problem with 1440p is that is only allows Wide Fov, which some people don´t like and also captures a smal part of the landing gear.

jimmybonsaville said:
jayhas said:
Hero 3 Black. 1080p 50fps (I'm in PAL land) medium with ND filter on bright days. 1080p 25fps at dusk.

Here is a sample (before I had my FPV): http://vimeo.com/89386785

Thats some really good footage!!!! Do you have any balance issues with the ND filter and zenmuse?

Not at all. The filter is one I had for my old GoPro Hero (came in a set of three - two are for underwater) and I just fit it inside a lens protector over the GoPro's lens. Minimal weight added.

As I mentioned in another thread, I only used rubber bands to secure the GoPro on the gimbal for easy removal. Reason is that my Hero 3 Black is still prone to freeze despite firmware upgrade thus needing battery pull when it does freeze.

For best results in outdoor daylight, shoot in 2.7k30p medium FOV, Protune on, WB off. Use an ND filter.

PixelNinja said:
The simple post process workflow is to run the Protune footage through GoPro Studio with the default Cineform color profile and sharpen to taste.

Easy-peasy and much better footage than shooting without Protune.

it is... but I get decent footage 1080p 60 frames... 30 frames low light... no pro tune. Wide extended legs. angle Gopro most of the time slightly downward to keep props out. Fly deliberate. I use iMovie. Done! No need to post process and looks good enough for Facebook/youtube or even on a TV screen. Not Pro quality but good enough to capture vacation shots... fun family action shots.

Not like i'm doing wedding photography.

PixelNinja said:
d4ddyo said:
PixelNinja said:
The simple post process workflow is to run the Protune footage through GoPro Studio with the default Cineform color profile and sharpen to taste.

Easy-peasy and much better footage than shooting without Protune.

it is... but I get decent footage

Everyone's definition of "decent" is obviously going to be different. The biggest drawback to that method is the issues with Gopro's auto WB and what it does to leaves/branches when you have blue sky in the background, blue sky that gets strangely collor-shifted when you have a green foreground, etc.

Many folks don't notice it but it does it does stand out in many videos.

Yeah.. exactly its good enough for me... but who knows... maybe i will do it some time in the future. I'm work from my macbook air 2nd generation and an external hard drive. hahaha. I hardly use it for work.... Tablet works for most stuff... I don't play games. I want to try Final Cut Pro... no use on this machine.

It is all subjective but Protune records at a much higher bit-rate meaning you have much more data to work with for both resolution and color. You have to adjust for the flat profile but you get to keep a lot more latitude and color in doing so.

My only issue with it is the GoPro Studio profiles are often over-saturated and poorly balanced (always too warm). The more comfortable I get with FCPX's color tools, the more I will skip the GoPro Studio step.

ianwood said:
For best results in outdoor daylight, shoot in 2.7k30p medium FOV, Protune on, WB off. Use an ND filter.

Hi Ian - can you recommend an ND filter for Phantom2 and H3-2D gimbal? I never got one in the past because I thought it would unbalance things or burn out the gimbal - I've seen people taping coins on the back etc?

But this one is only 0.2 oz (5 grams) would you recommend?

http://ragecams.com/shop/filter-lens-gl ... ba3faaeaa9

ianwood said:

Any recommendations on a quality, light weight ND filter?

Don't know which is the best, but I've been using the Polar Pro ND and it works well. I highly recommend you counterbalance the gimbal if you use one. There's a bunch of threads on that topic.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik