GoPro to back of PV2+ Gimbal?

Reaction score
Has anyone played with the idea of attaching a GoPro to the back of the stock gimbal? In essence, running both cameras, one facing forward and one facing the rear.

In theory, it would only affect the weight during it's yaw corrections.

Would the extra weight break the gimbal?

I was thinking of using some 3M adhesive or 3M velcro (industrial strength). I'm certain the gopro wouldn't go anywhere, but don't want to break the gimbal.

Thoughts?

Interesting idea! Would be easy enough to try. (very gently)

Um.. hello, the gimbal was designed for the camera it has and it is fragile as it is.

The added weight would,

1: Change the CG (center of gravity)
2: reduced flight times
3: make the gimbal more fragile
4: add more resistance to the gimbal motors.
5: the gopro would have virtually no stabilisation

Changing the CG wouldn't necessary matter, theoretically, as the gps position hold would still hold it's position (imagine a steady wind blowing the craft, all the same to the computers)
Reduced flight time would be expected
Stabilization would still be controlled during yaw , just not pitch and roll. It would also benefit from the anti-vibration mounts.

the only added resistance would be to the upper most motor that corrects the camera yaw.

Has anyone attempted this before?

easydubsit said:
Changing the CG wouldn't necessary matter, theoretically, as the gps position hold would still hold it's position (imagine a steady wind blowing the craft, all the same to the computers)
Reduced flight time would be expected
Stabilization would still be controlled during yaw , just not pitch and roll. It would also benefit from the anti-vibration mounts.

the only added resistance would be to the upper most motor that corrects the camera yaw.

Has anyone attempted this before?

Changing the CG does matter, I have modded my FC40 with gimbal and gopro and if you do not have the CG right it is a real pain to fly.

I have also mounted the data link to the base of the Vision plus and even though it is lighter than a gopro I can definitely feel the change in CG by the way the bird flies. The stronger the breeze, the more
it is noticeable.
The anti vibration mounts are also only designed to carry the original gimbal and camera, more weight would stretch them and possibly make them more prone to
pull out. Jello effect may also be a problem.

stabilization, hmmm, would be like flying in FPV mode without the pitch and roll stabilization.

But they are only my thoughts, try it and I would be interested with the results. A video of both forward and rearward facing videos would be interesting.

Happy flying

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl