GoPro Start/Stop Control

Reaction score
I plan to install a GoPro in the new Phantom 2. How do you start/stop both video and single shot photos while flying (like in the Vision)? Thanks.

That would mean that you can not take photos or activate the shutter?

The only alternative i can think of would be sending the camera up in "time lapse" mode where it will randomly take a shot every 30 seconds...or whichever time u set it at?

like i said...i actually hope im wrong... but so far it seems that way

cc

crazy chris said:
The only alternative i can think of would be sending the camera up in "time lapse" mode where it will randomly take a shot every 30 seconds...or whichever time u set it at?

like i said...i actually hope im wrong... but so far it seems that way

cc

Yes, you need to preset your capture settings on the ground before flight. You can't use the WiFi remote in flight due to RF interference with the flight controls.

Or, you could try this if you want video and stills at the same time:

The GoPro HERO3+ Black is capable of shooting video and stills simultaneously without interruption of the video. You can also pick from several different rates at which the stills are taken.

rmklaw said:
I plan to install a GoPro in the new Phantom 2. How do you start/stop both video and single shot photos while flying (like in the Vision)? Thanks.

Many months ago, DJI said they were going to enable this with the H3-2D. It still has not happened though.

jsansing said:
rmklaw said:

Many months ago, DJI said they were going to enable this with the H3-2D. It still has not happened though.

You better check DJI website - new Phantom with Zenmuse was released about a week ago.

Zenmuse is the same as the one that's been around for 8 months. P2 version just doesn't include the GCU.
And yes, they have been promising the remote start / stop of video for 8 months. So far, nothing.

Unfortunately, the picture quality of the stills when you do simultaneous video and photo is really poor.

I've had no problem controlling the gopro from my iPhone with the gopro app whilst using the P2 with a gopro 3+, this way i can turn the video on and off and also take stills - mind you the range isn't that great - its fine until you're way up in the sky, then it just loses the wifi link

Ravecreative said:
I've had no problem controlling the gopro from my iPhone with the gopro app whilst using the P2 with a gopro 3+, this way i can turn the video on and off and also take stills - mind you the range isn't that great - its fine until you're way up in the sky, then it just loses the wifi link

Not a good plan having the GoPro banging away at 2.4GHz with your tx/rx also on the same frequency. DJI say not to use GoPro wifi while in flight due to interference with the radio gear.

yeh - i know what they say, but i've not had any issues with it

famous last words - LOL

Seriously though… If this is correct, then how can the vision run both iPhone and tx at the same time without issues?
not being argumentative.. just curious.

Ravecreative said:
yeh - i know what they say, but i've not had any issues with it

famous last words - LOL

Seriously though… If this is correct, then how can the vision run both iPhone and tx at the same time without issues?
not being argumentative.. just curious.
Because the P2 and the P2V use exactly the opposite frequencies from each other.

P2 - flight control - 2.4 GHz / video tx is user defined, but usually 5.8 GHz
P2V - flight control - 5.8 GHz / video tx - 2.4 GHz

2.4 GHz is a WiFi frequency (the other is 5 GHz), so on the P2V it isn't a problem because that aircraft uses 2.4GHz as the video/data channel, just like your phone. However, since the P2 uses 2.4 GHz for the flight control channel, it clashes with the GoPro Wi-Fi, phone and Wi-Fi extender and you could jam your flight control inputs. Not good.

EMCSQUAR said:
jsansing said:
rmklaw said:

You better check DJI website - new Phantom with Zenmuse was released about a week ago.

On 7 January 2014 is an event when I think that DJI will release the new gimbal (and not new Phantom with old modified gimbal).

ginsonic said:
On 7 January 2014 is an event when I think that DJI will release the new gimbal (and not new Phantom with old modified gimbal).

What event is this? Its a different gimbal than is what currently shipping?

FASTFJR said:
ginsonic said:

What event is this? Its a different gimbal than is what currently shipping?
Probably a 3 axis Zenmuse.

god yeh - fingers crossed for a 3 axis version, that's be sssso cool

oh yeh, and thanks for the tip on the go pro 3+ wifi - i'll stop using that now - LOL

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1