(GoPro) Protune Workflow

Reaction score
what's your video editing workflow using protune? What are your protune settings? Do you use gopro studio to apply the LUT or do you go straight to an editing software and color grade? What's your color grading workflow? I ask because after I do my color grade. It still looks flat and if I add more saturation than needed it will look to washed out. I currently have my protune set at AutoWB, 400iso, Flat color, & Low Sharpening and either shooting at 2.7/30 or 1440/48. Oh and I convert them to prores before importing it to fcpx.

Thanks for your help.

Flat color and low sharpening to have better control in post. I set the max iso at 400 since that's the lowest it allows me so the video doesn't get too noisy.

Thanks for the vid ill watch it when I get home.

For me, the GoPro does a fairly decent job with Protune turned off. I have yet to edit a project that warrants the extra time required when protune is on (most of my video's so far have been just for fun). I have a lot of experience shooting still images using the RAW camera format but editing a still image takes a lot less time for me then editing a RAW (protune) video. That may be in part due to the fact that I have a lot more experience using Photoshop than I do using Final Cut Pro X (two different animals). Bottom line for me is... I'm not yet convinced that the extra time required for Protune is worth it.

Unless you are doing a high end edit or you really, really like post production then I would advocate that you don't use protune. GoPro 3 Black in the right conditions is very good in normal mode. In fact very few video cameras, including pro jobs, have the ability to output any sort of raw footage and the world gets by just fine. But of course if you do want to massage and tweak your footage for top quality, or if you want to match gopro into a multi camera shoot then that is the way to go.

I put this together for a similiar question asked by Shrimpfarmer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH8k2ZNZgv4

I just got my new GoPro Hero3+ Black a few weeks ago so I'm reluctant to offer my expert advice. Just so you understand that I'm in pretty much the same boat as you.

I have a color grading software called Colorista II from Red Giant, and it's very powerful, but I'm having more success starting out in GoPro Studio and using the Protunes preset as a base, then exporting as lossless for touching up in After Effects. I know I keep tossing out videos for you to watch, but I found them helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI72GBmux80

I don't feel like we are adequately answering your questions because no one has really given you a step by step set of instructions, but due to the subjective nature of color correction, and availability of software you have to work with, your questions are difficult to answer.

And then there's the fact that I'm really as lost as you are on the subject, but I hope we've given you a direction in which to research a solution that works for you.

There are very few cases where doing something in camera is better than doing it in post. Protune with flat color, low sharpening and 400 ISO give you as close to an unprocessed image as possible. It does mean you have to learn to grade and sharpen.

ianwood said:
There are very few cases where doing something in camera is better than doing it in post. Protune with flat color, low sharpening and 400 ISO give you as close to an unprocessed image as possible. It does mean you have to learn to grade and sharpen.

I did a test video today using Protune with 1080p and 30fps. I then imported to the GoPro app to adjust the exposure, contrast, saturation and sharpening. Looked pretty good until I exported... it took forever! I know my iMAC computer is not that fastest but it took around 15 minutes to export a 1:10 min video clip! That ain't gonna work! The test was to see if using the GoPro app to adjust the aforementioned parameters then exporting and importing to FCPX would be a feasible workflow. Nope.

People talk a lot of **** on here, but Ian isn't one of them. His last video had FLAWLESS color correction so I listen to each and every word he utters...and worship the quicksand he walks on. :shock:

I also did some testing today, and there is really no need to futz around with GoPro Studio as I was able to achieve better results right inside after effects. Ian's right, it just takes practice.

DesertFlyer53 said:
ianwood said:

I did a test video today using Protune with 1080p and 30fps. I then imported to the GoPro app to adjust the exposure, contrast, saturation and sharpening. Looked pretty good until I exported... it took forever! I know my iMAC computer is not that fastest but it took around 15 minutes to export a 1:10 min video clip! That ain't gonna work! The test was to see if using the GoPro app to adjust the aforementioned parameters then exporting and importing to FCPX would be a feasible workflow. Nope.

you don't have to export it. once you apply the LUT using the gopro studio go on fcpx import media and your adjustments will be imported as well.

rokit said:
you don't have to export it. once you apply the LUT using the gopro studio go on fcpx import media and your adjustments will be imported as well.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "LUT"? Can you explain the process a little more? I don't fully understand.

DesertFlyer53 said:
rokit said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "LUT"? Can you explain the process a little more? I don't fully understand.

LUT info - http://nofilmschool.com/2011/05/what-is ... ut-anyway/

once you have converted your clips on go pro studio go to step 2 and apply your adjustments. once you are finished. import it to your fcpx. no need to export the media again after applying your adjustments.

rokit said:
DesertFlyer53 said:
rokit said:

LUT info - http://nofilmschool.com/2011/05/what-is ... ut-anyway/

once you have converted your clips on go pro studio go to step 2 and apply your adjustments. once you are finished. import it to your fcpx. no need to export the media again after applying your adjustments.

Thanks! What I'm still unclear on is the import process to fcpx. When I'm done with the adjustments in gopro studio, do I close that app and then open fcpx and import the clip?

Not sure why ur using 400iso. But I agree with desertflyer53 on pretty much everything he said in his 1st post.
On the odd occasion I edit (enhance) in gopro studio, but usually I only edit when I add ND or polerising filters to my lens. I too use photoshop and lightroom extensively as I also dabble in photography alot. But gopro studio works great for a quick enhancement to a short video. I also have cyberlink, sony vegas and adobe premier but have no need to use any of them for enhancing videos as most of my work is for fun or personal use.

CarlJ, the check is in the mail!

cokeaddict, 400 ISO is a limit not the actual ISO. There's no way on the GoPro to set the actual ISO.

ianwood said:
CarlJ, the check is in the mail!

I got one word for ya...gratuity! :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues