GoPro Hero3 vs Hero3+

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked/answered. But trying to get the setup I want shared away, and I've read a lot of reviews of the GoPro Hero3+ that they have changed the focus point to be clearer close up and long distance shots are not as crisp. I contacted GoPro and they said that all focus points (near and far) are crisper now on the + and that if you experience otherwise that it is a defect. Their response is below...

"GoPro has designed the HERO3+ with a new lens to improve focus and sharpness for both video and photos. The new camera is optimized for improved image clarity at all focal ranges – edges, center, close and distance. If a customer is experiencing loss of clarity or focus at a distance, this is not an expected outcome. It's possible that there may have been an issue with the production of that particular camera or that a camera software update is needed. We will troubleshoot the problem with the customer according to the specific issue that is being experienced and find a resolution."

So is this just their standard response or are the 3's actually better than the 3+'s for aerial photography?

Thanks!

I would sell my 3+ today just to get my money back I'm not impressed.

Can you expand on that? My finger is hovering over BIN on Ebay for a Hero 3+Silver..

Is it solely because of the focus point?

CJ31 said:
So is this just their standard response or are the 3's actually better than the 3+'s for aerial photography?

Thanks!
The early models of the 3+ were focused closer although GoPro never really admitted to this being intentional. The ones released later, after many people complained, seem to be fine. There are other improvements which make the 3+ a better choice.
If you were to get one that did not focus well at long distance, you can easily fix it yourself or send it back to be fixed or exchanged.

It depends what your goal is. I would get the Hero3Black before I'd get the Hero3Silver +. I have 2x Blacks and a Black + and the biggest difference is the option to shoot at 2.7K Medium on the +. For getting usable aerial footage without a massive amount of horizon distortion, that is extremely key.

I spent a lot of time going over the threads- but my photography jargon and understanding are limited and very base.

I believe that the issue between the hero 3 and the hero 3+ (black editions) surrounds the depth of field- on the older hero 3 models it is unlimited, where as on the hero 3+ it is fixed at a much closer range for selfie ****.

I have both black editions- the hero 3 and 3+ and I use the hero 3+ for closeup work and fisheye type shots. I use the hero 3 for the aerial, but have not had a chance to experiment to see the differences. I have in addition, a hero 3+ silver, which is strictly for mounting to the Harley and getting motion shots from the frame and engine case near the road. I do not know what the differences in the silver and the black are as all video is identical from my amateur eye.

As for the Hero 3 Black... I think I may have snagged one of the last available online... they are going fast, and the prices are increasing on what is left- I watched one vendor move it up from 329 to 429 in the last week and it still sold!I was going to post here where I got mine, but before I could log in after I popped on it, the last 3 went (I paid 299)

I also believe there is a way to correct the limited depth of field or view (if that is the right terminology and issue) by making a somewhat simple adjustment to the lens? Again, I gave up on the research and just got the **** hero 3 as a safety measure in case I came across issues down the road. I also needed to be able to set a 4 cam scenery deal for a project I am working on.

that is standard response, i got that EXACT same line of garbage personally in an email which I was corresponding back and forth with their support team.

Buy the regular black, save 75 dollars. Use 75 dollars to buy 2 more batteries for the black since battery time is abysmal. Sure the new plus series have more features, features that an amateur photographer like you or me will never realistically use. And if you have to ask about them, then yes you are an amateur photographer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31