GoPro Hero3 Black vs. 3+ Silver

Reaction score
Do not have a need for the remote control, so I am comparing the GoPro Hero3 Black vs. 3+ Silver.

Anyone have experience with both?

From what I have gathered the 3+ is a little sharper close up, but blurrier further away.

Price wise a new 3+ Silver is the same as a used 3 Black.

I don't have personal experience with both, but I did a similar comparison before getting the 3+ Silver. The difference boil down to:

- Different lens on the 3+, I believe it's better.
- Longer battery life out of the box both because of a higher capacity battery and a software tweaks.
- Wifi mode. I don't need/want this on my Phantom, but the GoPro is for other things too and I wanted the wifi and App for that.

krb said:
I don't have personal experience with both, but I did a similar comparison before getting the 3+ Silver. The difference boil down to:

- Different lens on the 3+, I believe it's better.
- Longer battery life out of the box both because of a higher capacity battery and a software tweaks.
- Wifi mode. I don't need/want this on my Phantom, but the GoPro is for other things too and I wanted the wifi and App for that.

You made the wrong choice.

The silver+ is worse than the 3 Black in every way apart from the battery life.
3 Black lens is better than 3+ due to the + near focus issue that's still not sorted (most + out there still have the issue from what I'm reading)
3 Black has WiFi and can use the app.

As Phantasmic says, 3 black has a bigger sensor, protune, 4k video etc etc.

Get the 3 black. It's better than the 3+ silver by miles.

I don't mean to hijack this discussion but it seems like a natural extension: have the focus at infinity issues been solved with the 3+ black? If so, I would think it would be the clear winner here. I'm assembling the components for my first build and will be purchasing either a 3 black or a 3+ black within the next month so this is of particular interest to me.

If the focus issue is sorted then yes, the 3+B is the clear winner compared to the 3B. My understanding is that GoPro have sorted it and that all new shipments will be fine, however you can't be sure of getting one that's OK as it might be old stock. GoPro will swap it out for you though if you do end up with an older one.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl