GoPro HERO3+: Black Edition

rilot said:
2g won't throw off the balance. It's the difference between having an SD card in the camera or not.

That makes me a happy man.... My FO-OSD lens ring is only 2g so it might be fine on a Zenmuse with an H3 (just the panning is the issue). :D

I wonder what the weight difference is of the new higher capacity batter then. You'd think it must be heavier (and hence potentially cause issue with a Zenmuse, Hero3 (not Hero3+), and the new batt inside it?

He is saying that the gopro itself is the exact same weight. The only thing that is lighter is the waterproof case. For the sake of flying and the gimbal, the H3+ and the H3 weigh exactly the same amount.

Hero3+ is 2gr lighter than Hero3, Read in another forum that a guy removed the lateral cover (usb-Hdmi) and he has been using a ND fiter with Hero3 and ZenMuse without any issue neither hot motors, etc. So it is safe...

Picked up my new GoPro Hero3 + at Best Buy for $399.99 (or was it $399.98?). When I went to pick it up, though, all the paperwork and computer records showed that I had bought a 3 + but when the clerk brought it out, it was the older Hero3 Black. He immediately exchanged it for the correct product- but be aware- if you're ordering on-line or by phone (my order was placed by phone), make sure you get the right product; many clerks don't seem to realize the difference.

Now I might have to go back and take advantage of the REI deal described in the post above. Aargh.

Based on avg of 10 measures of each combination of camera plus supplied battery:

H3 with 1050 mAh battery = 74.6 g

H3+ with 1180 mAh battery = 73.8 g

Note this is using scale that only displays to the nearest gram. And to confirm the obvious by now, size and case layout are identical. Haven't flown the H3+ in the Zen yet, but these data suggest, as DJI has indicated, that there will be no issues raised by using the new GoPro Hero 3+ in the Zenmuse H3(+)-2D.

Steve

dsrphotography said:
yalag said:
dsrphotography said:
DJI confirmed finally in facebook comments that the 3+ does in fact work with the zenmuse. Which means the dimensions and weight of the camera are functionally identical to the hero 3.

Great news.

Where do you see this? How can this be? They said specifically that the Hero 3+ is lighter than the 3??

DJI Innovations posted on their facebook.

Quick update - We can confirm the new GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition camera will work with our DJI Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal.

The actual camera is reportedly only 2g lighter than the previous model. The weight savings is in the housing. Blame marketing speak from GoPro for the lack of clarity.

Interesting stuff thanks for that Steve.

I'd be interested if you can do the same test on just the battery all by itself. That way we can tell how much extra the H3 will weigh with the new batt if we buy one.

I have been watching the GoPro 3 auctions on Ebay. Apparently people would rather pay more for a used and older model camera than they would for the new + model cameras. I have seen bidding go around $40 above what it would cost to get a brand new + model camera. It is just flat out stupid.

Hmmmmm.... this is all very interesting that DJI jump straight in and say that the new Hero 3+ will work in the Zenmuse without a problem etc etc..... BUT WAIT :shock: The new GPH3+ is quoted as circa 2g different weight than the original GPH3.

We have been taught and brainwashed by DJI that if we so much as breathe on the Zenmuse or place a single piece of goose down on the GoPro we will invalidate the warranty, put undue stress on the gimbal motors, place the country to DEFCON 5, rupture our lipo's and generally cause more damage than someone with WMD in a bad mood!

Oh, but it's ok to put a lighter camera on the Zenmuse all of a sudden because DJI said so ! :lol:

The Editor said:
Hmmmmm.... this is all very interesting that DJI jump straight in and say that the new Hero 3+ will work in the Zenmuse without a problem etc etc..... BUT WAIT :shock: The new GPH3+ is quoted as circa 2g different weight than the original GPH3.

We have been taught and brainwashed by DJI that if we so much as breathe on the Zenmuse or place a single piece of goose down on the GoPro we will invalidate the warranty, put undue stress on the gimbal motors, place the country to DEFCON 5, rupture our lipo's and generally cause more damage than someone with WMD in a bad mood!

Oh, but it's ok to put a lighter camera on the Zenmuse all of a sudden because DJI said so ! :lol:

:lol: lets not forget this is a company that had 1100gram as max weight on the Phantom at release.... Then just upped it to 1200grams randomly. It of course had nothing to do with the Zenmuse being announced. ;) .... Anyway i'm off to build my fall out shelter.

Does anyone know what would happen if there is indeed an issue with the weight different? Does the zenmuse just completely stops working or does it work but with problems balancing? I'm going to try my Hero3+ but I'm not even sure what to look for while testing?

yalag said:
Does anyone know what would happen if there is indeed an issue with the weight different? Does the zenmuse just completely stops working or does it work but with problems balancing? I'm going to try my Hero3+ but I'm not even sure what to look for while testing?

Best case... balance is off and there are visible jitters in your shots while the motors try to compensate.

Worst case.... motors can't cope with the inbalance, the camera over tilts and the motor burns out trying to right it. DJI aren't exactly wonderful but I VERY much doubt they would endorse the Hero3+ for Zenmuse use on facebook if there was any risk of this happening. I also suspect/hope there will be inbuilt protection circuit that prevents that from happening and shuts the motors off totally before damage can be done.

DeweyAXD said:
yalag said:

Best case... balance is off and there are visible jitters in your shots while the motors try to compensate.

Worst case.... motors can't cope with the inbalance, the camera over tilts and the motor burns out trying to right it. DJI aren't exactly wonderful but I VERY much doubt they would endorse the Hero3+ for Zenmuse use on facebook if there was any risk of this happening. I also suspect/hope there will be inbuilt protection circuit that prevents that from happening and shuts the motors off totally before damage can be done.

Thanks just the info I needed. What kind of jitter would I see, small bounces up and down? Rapidly?

yalag said:
DeweyAXD said:
yalag said:

Thanks just the info I needed. What kind of jitter would I see, small bounces up and down? Rapidly?

That is hard to say. I don't have a Zenmuse but I am well versed on the principals of Brushless gimbals. They have to be balanced properly so the motors are only compensating for the motion of the craft... they are not designed to be physically holding/moving the weight of the camera around. If it is not balanced the camera will fall towards its heaviest side and hence the motor will bounce it back up. The amount of bounce and severity will depend on the mis-balance amount. I'd not expect it to be much at all and it may simply be that the added 2g is in the cameras centre of gravity, which, in theory would mean it will stay balanced anyway.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl