Gopro Hero+ / DJI camera lag

Reaction score
Hi
I am using now original DJI camera and going to buy gimbal and Gopro Hero+ Silver.
Could you say, what kind is lag on the Hero+ live view. Is it same like DJI camera?

I hear, Gopro Hero has 3-4 sec. lag, but Hero+ has four times faster WIFI. Is the lag also smaller?

I don't know about the DJI cam, but I have a GoPro Hero3+ Black edition. mounted on a Zenmuse H3-2D on my P2.
No lag whatsoever.
I use a basic fpv TS351 + RC305 +10"feelworld monitor.

yes, I know there is now any lag, if you use FPV setup. But using WIFI connection on Gopro Hero+, how is the lag compared to DJI camera?

FCPhantom said:
yes, I know there is now any lag, if you use FPV setup. But using WIFI connection on Gopro Hero+, how is the lag compared to DJI camera?

You can only use Gopro WiFi if you use the 5.8ghz phantom version.

dragonash said:
Assuming he is using an FC40 (since he posted inthe FC40 forums), is there still wifi lag with the gopro + editions?

Yes, not the same as the Hero3, but there is a slight lag.

GhostMaster said:
dragonash said:
Assuming he is using an FC40 (since he posted inthe FC40 forums), is there still wifi lag with the gopro + editions?

Yes, not the same as the Hero3, but there is a slight lag.

If you see the video i posted above, it looks like a huge improvement. Quite possible to FPV with it

Thanks, just what I trying to find out, great video!
So, Hero+ and DJI camera has almost the same lag. 0,5 sec lag is not too much for me.
And yes, I am using 5,8ghz control system in my Phantom, so the Gopro will not interfere it.

there are "rumors" that using a wifi extender to boost your range might actually improve the delay a little bit.
Likely because of the stronger signal.

I dont know this for a fact though. However, I do use an extender myself for the FC40 cam

From first-hand experience with a 3+ Black, I can tell you the wi-fi lag is about 2 sec. In that video that says 0,5 sec the measurement is simply wrong. Also, the wi-fi range is less than the FC40 camera. I also suspect the gopro signal is obscured by the metal in the gimbal, hence the lesser range. So, theoretically, the range may depend on the gimbal model.

FPV flight is almost impossible, because of the lag and the reduced range. Of course you can use the wifi connection to control the gopro camera, but you will need line of sight to fly the Phantom safely.

If you go the gopro route, get an analogue FPV system, that's in real time. If you want to mimic the FC40 setup as closely as possible, here's a sugestion:
- Get a 2,4 GHz FPV tx and rx combo
- Get a 4" LCD car monitor (because a car monitor is much cheaper than an "FPV-type" one, and a monitor is just a monitor)
- (last, but not least, get the necessary cables and connectors)
Why just a 4" monitor? Because you can still use the phone mount of the FC40 tx.

Oh, you'll also need to hang a battery to power the monitor and FPV rx and so your tx setup will get heavier and bulkier.

BladHaund said:
From first-hand experience with a 3+ Black, I can tell you the wi-fi lag is about 2 sec. In that video that says 0,5 sec the measurement is simply wrong. Also, the wi-fi range is less than the FC40 camera. I also suspect the gopro signal is obscured by the metal in the gimbal, hence the lesser range. So, theoretically, the range may depend on the gimbal model.

FPV flight is almost impossible, because of the lag and the reduced range. Of course you can use the wifi connection to control the gopro camera, but you will need line of sight to fly the Phantom safely.

If you go the gopro route, get an analogue FPV system, that's in real time. If you want to mimic the FC40 setup as closely as possible, here's a sugestion:
- Get a 2,4 GHz FPV tx and rx combo
- Get a 4" LCD car monitor (because a car monitor is much cheaper than an "FPV-type" one, and a monitor is just a monitor)
- (last, but not least, get the necessary cables and connectors)
Why just a 4" monitor? Because you can still use the phone mount of the FC40 tx.

Oh, you'll also need to hang a battery to power the monitor and FPV rx and so your tx setup will get heavier and bulkier.

WiFi lag is dependent on a lot of things. Just because you were not able to get it down to half a second lag, doesn't mean others won't be able to. Also, you can use a larger monitor. This is mentioned in several threads on here, all you have to do is use a little velcro on a block of wood the size of a phone, velcro on back of your monitor/tablet, and it will mount just fine on the stock FC40 phone mount.

T0Rtur3 said:
WiFi lag is dependent on a lot of things. Just because you were not able to get it down to half a second lag, doesn't mean others won't be able to.
Thanks, T0Rtur3, that's good to know. If you can give me a few pointers on how to reduce lag, that'll be great.

T0Rtur3 said:
Also, you can use a larger monitor. This is mentioned in several threads on here, all you have to do is use a little velcro on a block of wood the size of a phone, velcro on back of your monitor/tablet, and it will mount just fine on the stock FC40 phone mount.
I said a 4" monitor is for those that want to mimic the FC40 setup closely. Of course a 7" monitor gives a better view, but I think pairing it with blocks of wood is kinda messy. Just get a 7" monitor mount, they are not that expensive, and also you'll have more space to hang the battery that powers the monitor. For example, you can tape the battery to the monitor, instead of the wood.

BladHaund said:
T0Rtur3 said:
WiFi lag is dependent on a lot of things. Just because you were not able to get it down to half a second lag, doesn't mean others won't be able to.
Thanks, T0Rtur3, that's good to know. If you can give me a few pointers on how to reduce lag, that'll be great.

T0Rtur3 said:
Also, you can use a larger monitor. This is mentioned in several threads on here, all you have to do is use a little velcro on a block of wood the size of a phone, velcro on back of your monitor/tablet, and it will mount just fine on the stock FC40 phone mount.
I said a 4" monitor is for those that want to mimic the FC40 setup closely. Of course a 7" monitor gives a better view, but I think pairing it with blocks of wood is kinda messy. Just get a 7" monitor mount, they are not that expensive, and also you'll have more space to hang the battery that powers the monitor. For example, you can tape the battery to the monitor, instead of the wood.

You don't have to use a block of wood. Some say they used a small plastic box, so anything that will fit in the clamp will work.

As far as lag goes, you would be better off doing a google search, since there are a lot of different factors and I don't have the time this morning to go into detail of each of them.

T0Rtur3 said:
As far as lag goes, you would be better off doing a google search, since there are a lot of different factors and I don't have the time this morning to go into detail of each of them.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything useful except use a faster device. I'm using an Iphone 5s, so I guess I'll have to wait for the 6.
I was really hoping you could provide some valuable pointers from your own experience.

BladHaund said:
T0Rtur3 said:
Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything useful except use a faster device. I'm using an Iphone 5s, so I guess I'll have to wait for the 6.
I was really hoping you could provide some valuable pointers from your own experience.

Not all factors will be something you can remedy.

Faster device (which you mentioned already.. keep in mind it doesn't have to be your iphone. If you have a tablet, that would typically be faster)
The area which you are using your wifi connection factors in (signal traffic)
Boosting the wifi signal can help

T0Rtur3 said:
Not all factors will be something you can remedy.Faster device (which you mentioned already.. keep in mind it doesn't have to be your iphone. If you have a tablet, that would typically be faster)
So, basically, you're saying there's actually nothing to do to realistically mitigate signal lag:
- the area is a given, because I want to fly there for some reason
- using a tablet is impractical, since tablets start from 7" and a really powerful one is 9"-10" (Ipad 5 or similar)
- using a wi-fi signal booster is beyond the scope of mitigating lag, since I might as well use an analogue FPV tx+rx combo, it's more straightforward and more reliable.

Am I getting this right, T0Rtur3?

BladHaund said:
T0Rtur3 said:
Not all factors will be something you can remedy.Faster device (which you mentioned already.. keep in mind it doesn't have to be your iphone. If you have a tablet, that would typically be faster)
So, basically, you're saying there's actually nothing to do to realistically mitigate signal lag:
- the area is a given, because I want to fly there for some reason
- using a tablet is impractical, since tablets start from 7" and a really powerful one is 9"-10" (Ipad 5 or similar)
- using a wi-fi signal booster is beyond the scope of mitigating lag, since I might as well use an analogue FPV tx+rx combo, it's more straightforward and more reliable.

Am I getting this right, T0Rtur3?

As I said, not all factors are something you can remedy. I just commented that not everyone will have the same lag issues that you do. Also a 7" tablet is in no way impractical, and it has been shown wifi boosting is quite reliable for fpv flying. So yes, you're getting it perfectly right, BladHaund. Continue with using your FC40 wifi if that's what works for you.

Good, I saw on another thread you've gotten your own GoPro. Now, that we are both beyond theoretical and we can speak from our own experience, let me know how it goes with the lag, and I, in turn, I'll let you know how it goes with the analogue FPV, as soon as I get it installed. :D

BladHaund said:
Good, I saw on another thread you've gotten your own GoPro. Now, that we are both beyond theoretical and we can speak from our own experience, let me know how it goes with the lag, and I, in turn, I'll let you know how it goes with the analogue FPV, as soon as I get it installed. :D

As shown in that guy's video, I'm getting about half second lag straight out of the box. I haven't done any actual distance tests, but it seems to be about on par with the FC40 for me. Keep in mind, I live in a rural area so there isn't tons of wifi traffic around here.

A couple things that I did notice:

If the FC40 camera loses connection, it stops recording. The GoPro does NOT stop recording, and automatically reconnects which the FC40 does not.

If the video freezes, I can just hit back and tap the full screen button again and it will re-establish my stream again. Something I could not do on the FC40.

All that being said, I do remember you saying you had an iPhone, and I have seen a video where someone was testing lag with an iPhone, then they tested with an Android tablet they had. The iPhone had massive amounts of lag, and the tablet barely any. It may be problems with the app itself, rather than hardware.

Edit: Found that video, here it is. http://youtu.be/Cn35pgrPZ8E

Also, the phone I'm using is a Motorola Droid Razr M. So not exactly a beast in terms of hardware, and like I said I get very low lag.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav