GoPro Hero 4 - New info

V1 H3-3D won't work with Gopro Hero 4. You must buy the V2 H3-3D which is a scam because its the same part with the same name and they sold us the preproduction models. "Bait and switch" foreshadowing the Hero 4 and Gopro not giving the same "30 pin" connector on the back to connect to the V1 H3-3D…. look at the V2 gimbal on the DJI site is shows a branded back of the gimbal with H3-3D and without the 30 pin connector and the new usb plug in

called 5 different DJI resellers in socal and was turned away from every shop without any help…. makes me want to switch to a different brand or something custom if this is how we are treated

laselvasurf said:
Here is something I shot this morning. I just flew one battery as I didn't have much time and I didn't have any FPV feed since I have a V1 gimbal that doesn't pass any video through. I uploaded it to youtube in full 4K, so definitely watch it as high of a resolution as your monitor can support.

I've been editing it on a new mac pro in premiere and using a 65" 4K LED TV as a preview and I can tell you the footage is stunning. Leagues above the old GoPro in terms of quality, latitude and overall look and feel. I'm quite impressed! Now if only they could get the output working with the V1 Zenmuse, I'd be really stoked!

Hope you enjoy the video!
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_RAVgtYXgc[/youtube]

Fantastic Video

Infidel said:
Okay, I have the answer to the V1 Zenmuse H3-3D problem with the new GoPro 4's and you aren't going to like it. A GoPro representative called me back, yeah they are that cool, and he said he's a hobbiest too and ran into this same issue trying to plug his new GoPro4 into his Phantom's gimbal (the V1 with the backplate plug-in) and found out it was not compatible. He switched to the V2 gimbal (with the mini usb stripe) and it worked fine.

Per GoPro it is an issue with the design of the V1 gimbals and since DJI basically rigged the V1 backplate plug-in to work outside of the design of the previous GoPro's that it's their issue and not a GoPro problem. So the only answer is to sell your V1 Gimbal (they go for a decent price because they are in great demand) and get a V2 one or simply keep flying the GoPro3's.

Has anybody in this thread done the mod to their H3-3D described with photos in pages 8 and 11 of this thread? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22798&start=70

Basically there is a mod using this part from Goodluckbuy to modify the H3-3D (I assume V2 from what I'm reading here) with the USB connector, BACK to the rear/hero port connector and using the Zenmuse ribbon cable. Effectively you're just replacing the USB connector with a Hero port connector and it goes into the Zenmuse gimbal and acts totally normal. Like I said before I assume it's a "v2" H3-3D since it did originally come with the USB connector.

I personally have this setup, and a Hero4 on order but I won't be installing the Hero4 until about October 17-18. Trying to look ahead to forsee if I'm going to have this same problem you guys are describing with the "v1" H3-3D or not.

laselvasurf said:
Here is something I shot this morning. I just flew one battery as I didn't have much time and I didn't have any FPV feed since I have a V1 gimbal that doesn't pass any video through. I uploaded it to youtube in full 4K, so definitely watch it as high of a resolution as your monitor can support.

I've been editing it on a new mac pro in premiere and using a 65" 4K LED TV as a preview and I can tell you the footage is stunning. Leagues above the old GoPro in terms of quality, latitude and overall look and feel. I'm quite impressed! Now if only they could get the output working with the V1 Zenmuse, I'd be really stoked!

That looks really great! Can I ask how you removed the fisheye and what other post editing you did?

arizeda said:
laselvasurf said:

That looks really great! Can I ask how you removed the fisheye and what other post editing you did?

Thanks! I actually did zero post touchup to this. It's 100% straight out of the camera, no color correction or removal of the fisheye effect. I think this is something that GoPro has really improved upon with the new camera, before when shooting in "ultra wide" I would have massive horizon distortion, now it's almost perfect.

laselvasurf said:
Thanks! I actually did zero post touchup to this. It's 100% straight out of the camera, no color correction or removal of the fisheye effect. I think this is something that GoPro has really improved upon with the new camera, before when shooting in "ultra wide" I would have massive horizon distortion, now it's almost perfect.

Well that is just brilliant then! Very exciting news. Shame I just crashed my H3-3D and GoPro hero 3 black, so getting new ones of both is going to be expensive... But I may just be able to repair the gimble, and if so I will get the 4 :D

Infidel said:
Okay, I have the answer to the V1 Zenmuse H3-3D problem with the new GoPro 4's and you aren't going to like it. A GoPro representative called me back, yeah they are that cool, and he said he's a hobbiest too and ran into this same issue trying to plug his new GoPro4 into his Phantom's gimbal (the V1 with the backplate plug-in) and found out it was not compatible. He switched to the V2 gimbal (with the mini usb stripe) and it worked fine.

Per GoPro it is an issue with the design of the V1 gimbals and since DJI basically rigged the V1 backplate plug-in to work outside of the design of the previous GoPro's that it's their issue and not a GoPro problem. So the only answer is to sell your V1 Gimbal (they go for a decent price because they are in great demand) and get a V2 one or simply keep flying the GoPro3's.

Hmmm... something not quite right here. GoPro state that existing accessories will work with the Hero 4. This means that the LCD touch screen will work with the GP4 via the 30pin interface. GoPro have used the same configuration since the interface appeared (to keep compatibility)
The rear GoPro interface plug can quite happily provide HD video out via pins 1 thru 3.
It is able to supply composite video by pulling pins 20 and 21 low or Component (HD) video by just pulling pin 20 low.
Also pins 5 and 6 double up the +5 volt USB bus to provide extra current capability while charging and in use at the same time.
Since the LCD touch screen gets a composite feed the pin outs must be the same.

Of course we will not know for sure what's going on via the bus until someone gets a Hero 4 and rips it apart and gets a scope on some of those data pins.

QYV said:
Has anybody in this thread done the mod to their H3-3D described with photos in pages 8 and 11 of this thread? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22798&start=70

I have done the mod to the V2 (it's easy to do and undo) and hope to pick up the new GoPro this weekend. If I have luck finding one, I will reply back to this thread on how it works with the mod.

mcopete said:
I have done the mod to the V2 (it's easy to do and undo) and hope to pick up the new GoPro this weekend. If I have luck finding one, I will reply back to this thread on how it works with the mod.

cool thanks. yep I know it's easy to do/undo I'm just hoping I don't have to :)

mcopete said:
QYV said:

Picked up the Hero 4 Black today and was NOT able to get it to work with Version 2 H3-3D with mod. So guess I'm going back to ribbon cable.

I have a feeling however, that the issue is in the power coming through the back connector. So I might try the tape method of blocking power leads, only allowing the video, to see if that will work. But that is a weekend project...

Cheers,
Pete

Not sure if I'm beating a dead horse right now with the v1 H3-3D compatibility, but I might've found a solution.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnMpoH5ip58[/youtube]

Everything I've read here and on other forums makes me believe that cutting the 5v line from coming into the hero4 (and adding a switch if you wanted to delay it, since that seems to work as well) is the best option. Someone with the goodluckbuy cable should take a look at the best place to do that.

any way you slice it you're patching some cables

hqcariello said:
UrAwFuL said:
Not sure if I'm beating a dead horse right now with the v1 H3-3D compatibility, but I might've found a solution.

wonder if this cable is as good as helipal's cable to solve this issue

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-AV-Video ... OC:US:1120

Not so sure yet... I'm still trying to figure out of it's compatible with my AVL58 with hub setup without any soldering/splicing.

UrAwFuL said:
hqcariello said:
UrAwFuL said:

wonder if this cable is as good as helipal's cable to solve this issue

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-AV-Video ... OC:US:1120

Not so sure yet... I'm still trying to figure out of it's compatible with my AVL58 with hub setup without any soldering/splicing.

well...I've tested my hero4 with my H3-3D v.1 - NO VIDEO.;( I'm switching to H3-3D v w/ribbon cable to test next.

hqcariello said:
swapped zenmuse to latest version(ribbon cable ) and it worked right away.
Same here. Only thing was the new zenmuse has the yaw twitch problem so bad I couldn't even hover for more than a couple seconds without it ruining the shot. That one is on it's way back... Hopefully the next V1.1 will work as good as my original V1.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj