GoPro Hero 4 - New info

Would be great! I didn't see anything there about Image Stabilisaton as I believe is a new feature of the GoPro. Combining H3-3D and stabiliser, in 2.7K @ 50fps would be unbelievable. 4K is great but doesn't like much moving too fast... (referring to my GH4 tests)

I am hoping it still has the back connector as shown for my H3-3D. Seems a bit odd they would still have it with the built in LCD. I guess the battery back pac would still work as long as you can still navigate menu options from the front button.

Do you see rolling shutter in the 4K GH4 tests? I'd like to see that. First I've heard of any rolling shutter issues on the GH4. The GH4 really needs a 2K mode.

PhantomPhreak said:
I am hoping it still has the back connector as shown for my H3-3D. Seems a bit odd they would still have it with the built in LCD. I guess the battery back pac would still work as long as you can still navigate menu options from the front button.

me too... aka the "Hero port". it would be ironic (and suck) if they ditched the hero port and all of us modding our H3-3D's to the hero port have to mod BACK to the USB connector heh

but I Don't see how they could claim compatibility with prior hardware if they killed that port so... yea

ianwood said:
Do you see rolling shutter in the 4K GH4 tests? I'd like to see that. First I've heard of any rolling shutter issues on the GH4. The GH4 really needs a 2K mode.
I've seen some examples of rolling shutter on the GH4, but you really have to shake it hard for that, (filming "Bourne Identity "style maybe...)
The 2K Modes however are great, from 1080i interlaced to 1080p at 200 mbps! not mentioning the 1080p 50mbps at 96fps that does serious slo mo preserving the quality....
Tomorrow I plan to go to the London Zoo with the 35/100 to try the 4K cine 4096X2160, at 24fps. Will see what we get! :)

As long as there is no 3-axis rotation controlled gimbal available for the GoPro series I will stick to the GH4 Zenmuse.

Engan01 said:
As long as there is no 3-axis rotation controlled gimbal available for the GoPro series I will stick to the GH4 Zenmuse.

There is. It's called a Phantom in Course Lock mode. Works a treat!

That said, I am about to pull the trigger on a GH4/S900 for many other a reason.

ianwood said:
Engan01 said:

There is. It's called a Phantom in Course Lock mode. Works a treat!

That said, I am about to pull the trigger on a GH4/S900 for many other a reason.

Course Lock is not practical when doing complex shots on a daily basic. I have tried since I have a Phantom as well. In order to get the work perfect every time you need a remote controlled gimbal and dual operators.

ianwood said:
I am about to pull the trigger on a GH4/S900 for many other a reason.

I did! this is the main reason why I got a GH4! However the S900 is slower to come. A shortage on GH4 gimbals I was told... I'm not in the rush and I have plenty to organise before using it so it's ok, I can wait a bit...

sergekouper said:
ianwood said:
1080p 50mbps at 96fps that does serious slo mo preserving the quality....
My GH4 supports variable frame rates (VFR) up to 96 FPS in 100Mbps mode, but not in 50Mbps mode.

I haven't tested it yet, but the reviews I have read and watched say that VFR mode is good quality, but not as good as the standard 24 FPS mode.

InterMurph said:
sergekouper said:
ianwood said:
1080p 50mbps at 96fps that does serious slo mo preserving the quality....
My GH4 supports variable frame rates (VFR) up to 96 FPS in 100Mbps mode, but not in 50Mbps mode.

I haven't tested it yet, but the reviews I have read and watched say that VFR mode is good quality, but not as good as the standard 24 FPS mode.
You're right it is 100mbps, not 50, I didn't read correctly. My bad. However 96fps quality is truly fantastic. I have seen this review comparing all modes of VFR. The difference exists, but it's really minimal if you ask me. and doesn't prove much, obviously, one cannot do a clean slo-mo with a 24fps sequence. So what's the point to compare? Let's be practical this kind of review is just plain stupid. I see the point of it but I can't help feeling sorry for the guy who spent that time (How much time???) to make this ridiculous comparison... Will it stop you to use VFR? certainly not, in any case! :)

Skypixel post regarding a skyhighmedia instagram post about balancing a H3-3D with a Hero4, doesn't seem too hard just add some counterweight

The new hero 4 doesn't t have the port in the back anymore. Original h3-3D gimbals without that crappy ribbon cable will
No longer be compatible from what I have been reading. Pretty bummed the better gimbal has no way of operating a hero 4.
I guess you ribbon cable people win in the end. What a slap in the face

Kelso Kubat said:
The new hero 4 doesn't t have the port in the back anymore. Original h3-3D gimbals without that crappy ribbon cable will
No longer be compatible from what I have been reading. Pretty bummed the better gimbal has no way of operating a hero 4.

the Silver definitely has it, but I can't find any pictures of the rear of the Black... neither can I find anything mentioning that the Hero port has been removed from the Black... why would they do that? do you have a source you can site ?

Kelso Kubat said:
That wouldnt make sense, they state existing accessories are compatible. There would be no way to add the lcd back pack.

A quick call to Gopro confirmed the Black Gopro 4 does have the back connector. I guess sometimes the Internet is wrong.

PhantomPhreak said:
A quick call to Gopro confirmed the Black Gopro 4 does have the back connector. I guess sometimes the Internet is wrong.

I believe this would be the first and only time.... ??!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31