GoPro Hero 4 Black Wifi not to be used on P2 in flight?

Reaction score
I was just reading and advertisement for a "package deal" and it stated that the Go Pro Hero 4 Black should never have its wifi on while in use on the P2 as it can interfere with the control signal to the P2.
I don't normally turn the wifi on on my GPH4B, but I have used it occasionally. I think I've always turned it off again straight away and never flown with it on, but not sure for certain.
Is the wifi connection on the camera going to interfere with the controls on a P2

Ezookiel said:
I was just reading and advertisement for a "package deal" and it stated that the Go Pro Hero 4 Black should never have its wifi on while in use on the P2 as it can interfere with the control signal to the P2.
I don't normally turn the wifi on on my GPH4B, but I have used it occasionally. I think I've always turned it off again straight away and never flown with it on, but not sure for certain.
Is the wifi connection on the camera going to interfere with the controls on a P2

Yes, it will. Both GoPro's WiFi and your P2 controller uses 2.4 GHz. It can lower your controlling range and even get you a flyaway.
Maybe, nothing could happen at all. But why to risk it?

Wow. Thanks. I'm not sure if I left it on the other day or not, but ironically it was the first time I ever got crystal clear video from the FPV system right out to 750m, and I have a horrible feeling that the wifi would still have been on. Damned lucky by the sound of it. I'll make sure not to be so lazy as to turn it on just to empty the memory card next time. I did it that way as I didn't want to disturb the gimbal too much as it was powered up while I was waiting for GPS locks, so thought I'd turn wifi on and use that to empty and setup the camera.
Good information to know. I wonder if anyone else having flyaways etc ever thought whether they had the wifi on on their GoPro's?

So, if you don't have the wifi on the camera, how can you see "pictures" of when it's flying? Or how do I connect it to my tablet then to see while it's flying? Does anyone know if there's anywhere in MO where's there's a dealer or someone who could help me get everything set up?

I had the gopro hero 4 black setup on my fc40
and used the fc40 battery door with Velcro to hold the fc40 cam for fpv
while the gopro recorded below on the gimbal but it was a hit or a miss on
what it captured lol

"Interfere" is a general term. What happens is that the Hero WiFi and the P2 R/C are both on the 2.4 GHz band. As you get further from the controller the control signal gets progressively weaker. But inches away is a transmitter on the same frequency (the GoPro WiFi). The Phantom can't "hear" the R/C transmitter hundreds of feet away because of the much stronger signals from the GoPro WiFi just inches away.

All that will happen is that the Phantom will think it's lost the control signal and initiate a RTH.

Reactions: kenundrum
"Interfere" is a general term. ... The Phantom can't "hear" the R/C transmitter hundreds of feet away because of the much stronger signals from the GoPro WiFi just inches away.

All that will happen is that the Phantom will think it's lost the control signal and initiate a RTH.

I agree with Steve. It is almost impossible for any other signals on the 2.4G band to be interpreted by the receiver as valid commands for the flight controller. It can't cause a flyaway, only a return to home.
If you started flying without gps lock and and a valid home point set, then yes that could become a flyaway as it tries to return to home somewhere over the atlantic ocean; but that wouldn't be the gopro's fault.

So, if you don't have the wifi on the camera, how can you see "pictures" of when it's flying? Or how do I connect it to my tablet then to see while it's flying? Does anyone know if there's anywhere in MO where's there's a dealer or someone who could help me get everything set up?

You need to install a transmitter on your Phantom, and have a receiver/monitor like the Black Pearl on the ground. The video comes from the GoPro, through the mainboard, into the transmitter, then the receiver on the ground gets the video signal and BAM! You get a picture... :)

There are a lot of posts here about setting up FPV and the parts needed. I think I posted one a few weeks ago with the parts list I have, and it's in my signature too. And you should also search YouTube for videos, there are some good ones out there...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.