Gopro Hero 3+ Setup Problems ???

Reaction score
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this one. Ok here goes  I want to take a still image from a gopro video using Gopro Studio latest version.
It seems when I do this-the image size is only 789 KB (807,980 bytes) I didn’t think that this file size was good enough to blow it up for a picture you hang up inside the house...

Any ideas would be great ???

are you using the "export still" function in GoPro studio? that should let you save the picture in the highest resolution available, if thats not good enough then you need to raise the resolution you film in

p fandango said:
are you using the "export still" function in GoPro studio? that should let you save the picture in the highest resolution available, if thats not good enough then you need to raise the resolution you film in

The setting i have the Gopro on is 1080 s-48. I didnt think this file size was good enough to get it enlarged to 10"x8" ??

File size is less important of a factor than actual pixel dimensions and pixel density (pixels per inch) of the image. File size is based on compression, which is heavily influenced by the content of your image, and can vary pretty widely.

In my experience, images printed at 200 pixels per inch are acceptable, and depending on the subject matter, you might be able to go as low as 150 ppi before it gets either too mushy, or you start seeing pixels in the printed image.

If you shot the video at 1080, then your image is 1920 pixels wide by 1080 pixels high. At 200 ppi, the biggest acceptable printed image from a 1080 frame grab would be roughly 5" x 9" (1080 pixels high / 200ppi = 5.4", 1920 pixels wide / 200 ppi = 9.6"). Not quite 8" x 10", but close (although you'll obviously have a different aspect ratio of 16:9, as opposed to the 5:4 ratio of the print).

Generally, frame grabs from video aren't nearly as good as actual still photos, even from the same camera, mostly because of the number of pixels captured, but also because of the way it handles and compresses the data. If you can get stills using the same GoPro, you'll get a much better print. If you shoot video at 2K or 4K on the 3+, you'll also get a slightly bigger image to work with, but still not as good as a still.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Cary

hi

thanks for the replys everyone

Cary

When i do it in the setting 1080 S-48 the dpi is only 144dpi this woudnt be good enough to get sized up for the wall ?
have you any ideas HELP ??

Alan

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20