GoPro Hero 3 fell off

Reaction score
Hello guys.

I have no idea how this could've happened, would appreciate any ideas and/or explanations.

So I was flying the Phantom today, and at an altitude of around 30-40 meters weird thing happened. The GoPro cam (locked inside the waterproof casing) somehow unmounted itself and fell off. I landed the copter immediately afterwards, the standard screw (GoPro was mounted to the copter via standard screw) was in its place. I have no idea how it happened, as the only way to unmount the camera is to unscrew the bolt.

What I know for sure is that waterproof casing's backdoor opened somehow midair, releasing the camera. But then how the hell did the casing got itself unmounted?

Did anyone experience this sort of failure? I'm absolutely puzzled...

pic(s) of the housing?

Chances are you didn't thread the bolt through on the Gopro housing side, and it's just been sitting there under friction/pressure. It finally vibrated enough to come loose today. Hope you were able to find the GoPro!

EMCSQUAR said:
pic(s) of the housing?

Housing:
nozJmGQ.jpg

Damaged side:
ohBUwOO.jpg

Few shots of the damaged camera:
5E7HhuK.jpg

rZkbOUh.jpg

Take a look at final 4 shots taken by GoPro.

Just before before detaching:
kAposzq.jpg

Saying bye-bye to the copter (notice that the screw is in its place!)
l4TlgYb.jpg

Falling:
0cxEfrE.jpg

And the final shot:
GjwtgTS.jpg

The camera seems to kind of working after the crash. However the card slot is broken, the body is cracked.

Ouch... looks like GoPro housing itself gave out which is rare. I've had mine mounted on front bumper at track doing 130mph+ and hit with debris and never suffered case failure like that. Might take that up with GoPro & "kindly" ask for support they're pretty good with customer service issues. (Kindly is the key word)

netphreak said:
It looks like the bolt that mounts to the gopro housing is missing. Did you just push the camera into place, or did you use the bolt? I'm not talking about the two screws that mount the adapter to the phantom.

No, look at the 6th pic - in the top left corner, you can see the big fat aluminum bolt in-frame.

I don't think the mount or the bolt or the nut failed. The GoPro's mount seems to have taken damage on impact with the ground, but the ring is clearly still intact. Most likely, OP did not actually thread the bolt through the holes in the mount on the waterproof case, and the camera was being held in place solely by pressure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers