GoPro Hero 3 Black - Video file sizes @ various settings

Reaction score
Need some feedback from GoPro Hero 3 Black camera users:

I found some video file size data on another website that claims to summarize how large file sizes become for a variety of this camera's settings given a certain recording time. I imported it into an Excel file and provided the user the option to choose any recording time to see how large their video file would be for each of the noted camera settings.

To help validate this source data, I'd like to ask any owner of this camera to comment on how accurate predicted files sizes are for the 8 minute recording time I chose. I would have uploaded the more useful spreadsheet file but was blocked from doing so by this websites uploading protocols. If the data turns out to be accurate, anyone using this camera for extended periods of time (vacation, travel, etc.), can then get a feeling for the amount of memory required for their particular trip. If sufficient feedback indicates the data is reasonably accurate, I''l try to find a way to make the spreadsheet available to interested users. Otherwise, feel free to extrapolate portions of this data for your particular situation but note that I can't yet vouch for its accuracy.

Attachments

• GoPro Hero 3 Black - sample file sizes.xlsx_2013-11-29_09-44-34.png
    GoPro Hero 3 Black - sample file sizes.xlsx_2013-11-29_09-44-34.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 3,062
I didn' t look at your spreadsheet very carefully because........I do NOT store anything on the mini-sd card. I use the highest quality recording format and I download to my computer after each outing and erase the card, recharge the battery (the H3 runs down the battery so quickly that you will run out of batteries as fast or faster than you might fill up memory...depending on your card size) and am ready to go. My card will hold 5-6 7 minute flights. That's all I need. If I had 20 batteries and needed to get hours of flight at one time...I would buy another mini-sd card.

My point is....the quality of the video I am recording takes all precedent.

If you can't/don't want to be taking a computer with you for daily downloading there are lots of smaller memory storage devices. But, tailoring my shooting quality to fit my memory card??? Never done it and never will.

I'm finding my flights are ranging from about 1.25-1.6GB for video at 1080. Lately I've been shooting stills as well, at full res. Those images range from 3-6MB.

I have a dedicated media drive which I dump all my GoPro video and photos onto, then nuke the card before the next session/flight.

I do have a 64 gig card ordered... :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj