GoPro Hero 3 Black terminated recording

Reaction score
Since getting my GoPro Hero 3 Black along with my Phantom in September it has worked fine. I have done about 16 films from the Phantom when it was mounted in its waterproof case without issues. Recording lasting about 8/9 mins each. Today I tried it out on my new AeroXcraft gimbal for the first time. The first flight no problem and a full 7 mins plus recording. My second flight which lasted about 8 mins or so had the recording stopped at 2 mins 21 secs. The camera had not frozen and there was about 22 mins left on the card and two bars on the battery. I did try out the tilt option on this flight but I think that was actually after the recording had already stopped. Since them I have done a number of 11 min plus recordings off the Phantom and no issues. Searching the net there does seem to be a possible issue with either the GoPro stopping the recording or freezing. Hopefully it was a one off but it would be annoying if you shot something really important or risky and find that the recording had stopped. The card I used is a Samsung 32GB Class 10 UHS-1 Grade 1 48MB/s MicroSDHC Plus. The firmware on the camera is v02.39. The recordings are 1080p 50fps Protune off. Could the gimbal interfere with the camera (unlikely) Any other areas I need to look at?

cheers

bill

Have you reformatted your SD card recently? That solved a similar problem for me. I'd been deleting files from my computer after import, but now I use the GoPro's Delete function to format - frequently!

I assume thats the Sandisk Ultra card, these have been the main cause of camera issues. If you update your camera to the latest firmware version then this will improve stability when using these cards but will set max bitrate at 35Mbps. I would highly recommend doing the firmware upgrade and also doing an in camera format before your first use each day. Doing this should avoid any lockup issues but you may also want to look at getting an sd card on the current supported list as the sd ultras were dropped from being supported as they were found to not even meet c10 rating in many cases.

Another thing to avoid is powering your gopro from the quadcopter as if the power source has any spikes or other issues this can lock up a gopro. There have even been a few reports of gopro's being killed when being fed power from a gimbal sucjh as the dji h3 2d, but that is more at risk because its using the rear port to feed power which is much riskier then from the USB port that has more over current protection built in.

I just want to add here, I've experienced the gopro locking up and stop recording mid flight (I lost video feed too). I had updated the gopro to the latest firmware and I was also using a 16gb sandisk ultra card, I usually use a 32gb, but for that day I had swapped the 32 and 16 from a hero3 silver I was using that day too to help avoid any issues . . .

It happened while I was recording at the Mazda Car Club of Australia annual meet at lake Merrium. In the end I just I edited the usable sections from that flight into the part 2 video that I uploaded on YouTube.

Thanks.
I will try formating the card again in the camera. And may well do this each time I have a flying/filming session. The card I use is Samsung not Sandisk. Though from reviews I had read prior to getting this card it seemed like a good one for the GoPro. My aeroXcraft gimbal does not power the GoPro. It seems an odd idea with the zenmuse gimbal that you would wamt to lose even more flight time powering the GoPro as well!

Until yesterday I had not had any freezes/ or recording terminating. So will need to do a few more flights and see how it goes. When I left it running yesterday off the Phantom I got over 11 minutes till the card filled up. My first though was the gimbal somehow physically knocked the record button- but can't see that it could.

I had similar issues until a friend who works in the BBC advised the following;

Remove card and insert in computer and copy files yo hard drive.

Once happy files have been copied format the card.

Eject the card properly by using the eject function - do not simply pull the card out.

Since doing the above I've not had a problem.

MKheng said:
I had similar issues until a friend who works in the BBC advised the following;

Remove card and insert in computer and copy files yo hard drive.

Once happy files have been copied format the card.

Eject the card properly by using the eject function - do not simply pull the card out.

Since doing the above I've not had a problem.

Since I don't think my computers card reader can take a microSD I have been copying the files from the camera itself via the USB. So the card has not yet been removed from the camera since fitted a few weeks ago.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie