Gopro film settings

Reaction score
Hello fellas, i have a P2 non vision and the h33d. What are your reccomendation on what are the best settings for the gopro. Is there any way to avoid seeing the props or I just need to crop it when editing?

TIA

Re: Gopro film settings

Eltrochaphantom said:
Hello fellas, i have a P2 non vision and the h33d. What are your reccomendation on what are the best settings for the gopro. Is there any way to avoid seeing the props or I just need to crop it when editing?

TIA
1) What GoPro do you have?
2) Try medium FOV and an ND filter

See this active thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34810

I'll check it out but for the mean time I have a 3+ black

The highest settings you can set your gopro at is usually the best setting. For the props, use an ND or you can crop it. If you're going for filmic you'd have to set Protune on and color grade the footage.

When I said film I meant like regular video

ThePhantom said:
The highest settings you can set your gopro at is usually the best setting. For the props, use an ND or you can crop it. If you're going for filmic you'd have to set Protune on and color grade the footage.
Okay, but define highest. The 3+ Black can do 4k, but only at 15fps. Is this what you define as the highest settings? If so, I disagree that is the best setting.

I shoot 1080p @ 60fps with medium FOV.

Reactions: Hammer

Sorry, I was thinking about the Hero 4 Black which is what I use mostly now.

My h4 black came set up on the quad at 1080 and 25fps and "wide"
I've not changed it except to turn protune on, and set the default start up at video, plus one still shot every 5 sec.
I'd also like to know if there's a better setting.

Ezookiel said:
My h4 black came set up on the quad at 1080 and 25fps and "wide"
I've not changed it except to turn protune on, and set the default start up at video, plus one still shot every 5 sec.
I'd also like to know if there's a better setting.

Yes me too.
In particular, is it better to go to a higher resolution and crop, or, just go to a lower resolution in order to get rid of ATTI props in the shot.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34810

Eltrochaphantom said:
I'll check it out but for the mean time I have a 3+ black

I like to shoot with my H3+ Black at 2.7K 30fps Medium FOV with an ND filter. Most of the time, I can't see the props themselves and the ND filter slows the shutter so that you don't get prop shadows across the lens making for the venician blind effect at certain angles.

At 2.7K, I can zoom a bit and still maintain a 1080 resolution on my output. I always convert the videos at native resolution and then export at the desired output resolution.

Video is such a huge new field for me, and one I really don't understand a lot about, so I'm on TWO huge learning curves; one the whole field of modding a quad, and the other learning about video settings, video editing (just finding my way around Premiere Pro CC), and shooting in video. A lot of stuff translates ok across from my usual hobby of photography, but not all of it.
Keeping the brain active and learning new stuff apparently helps stave off Alzheimer's, so I should be plenty safe after this.

I couldn't find where he'd written about the 4, so I read all his stuff about the 3 black assuming the 4 black I have can't be too different. I'll go have a read of that now (it's either that or mow the lawn, so this is a great excuse not to mow)

So good to be able to talk to people here that know more about video. I really appreciate the help. You've been fantastic.

On that site, he seems to recommend 4K, and specifically suggests it for quadcopters if you don't need slow motion. His main proviso is data flow rates, but I bought an 80mbps sd card for mine, so the data flow rate shouldn't be a problem - it should manage the 60mbps data flow just fine.

However, I normally fly with the GoPro taking a still shot every 5 seconds while also filming the video.
It's the stills I'm more after than the video, the video is just a nice bonus, so I'd love to use 4K if I can get good quality stills out of it later. And to be honest, a still every 5 seconds was way overkill, it was just my solution to not being able to physically set off a still shot when I wanted one, from 600m away down on the ground.
I'd love 4K videos, and if I can then extract a good enough still from that using Premiere Pro, then I may do it that way. But the extracted shots will need to be approximately as good as the 12mp stills it takes when I fly it in 1080. Any idea on whether that will be the case, or will extracted stills be noticeably lower quality?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You should be able to set the horizontal limits for the gimbal in the sw to keep from getting the props and arms in the picture (but I'm not 100% sure about this)

4K at 25fps seemed very "jerky" when I tried both yesterday and today. But in the final edit, they seem to come out ok. I suspect it's just that editing videos this large on a Surface Pro 3, isn't really the best machine for the job.

If you want smooth video flow then shoot in 30fps or 60fps and post process in a 30fps timeline. The 60fps will give you the ability to slow down the footage 50% and have smooth slow motion. A 24fps shoot will match up well with other 24fps footage that is shot on say a DSLR for the "cinematic look". Whether it is the look that you want in your final production is up to you. Personally, I'm not a fan of GoPro footage in a 24fps wrapper. The camera is geared towards "action" footage and the 30fps timelines in post fit action footage better in terms of smooth feel and a more realistic look. The sensor in the GoPro just does not allow the 24fps footage to match up visually IMO with DSLR footage without a ton of manipulation in post.

As far as 1080 vs 720 vs 2k vs 4k ... In reality for most people this will matter little. Where 2k and especially 4k will shine is for the person wanting to use a frame grab at a still photo. Or the person wanting to zoom in very tight in post.

I shoot video professionally and shoot most everything in 1080. However I do the bulk of my post production in 720 by scaling down my 1080 footage. This is generally fine for anything youtube and even broadcast material. The bulk of my clients want something on a DVD that they can pop in their DVD player, so the footage gets scaled back to SD anyway. In the case of BluRay, 720 is more than sufficient as it matches with the bulk of broadcast HD here in the States. There is no reason for me to produce video in 4k. So few people have 4k TV's (I don't even own one) or monitors. It is overkill at this point in time and eats up tons of hard drive space.

I've found flying my GoPro's on a H3-3D gimbal at 1080 60fps, ProTune, Automatic WB, 400 ISO, and either a ND4 or ND8 (depending on lighting) works excellent. It produces great footage that is very smooth in post with just the right amount of motion blur from the slower shutter speed thanks to the ND filter. Now if I want quality still photos then I send it up without the ND filter because I want a fast shutter speed for the crisp details. With the ND filter you will get soft edges on your photo subjects.

Unfortunately, it seems that 25fps is the best you can do at 4K with a GP4B.
I really only want the best stills from it, so the slightly jerky motion I sometimes get on the vid, I'll live with. The vids are just a bonus anyway.. I mostly want stills, and until I can afford something that will lug my DSLR up there, and let me control it, the GP is my only real option, so the best resolution I can manage to get the best possible stills, will have to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic