GoPro extended arm mount

Reaction score
I decided to try mounting my GoPro to an arm attached to the bottom of my Phantom. I wanted to see the Phantom in flight. The first flight, GoPro in its case, was not good. I did a ground loop as there was too much weight on the end of the arm. I adjusted the arm length, by moving it inward and added a little counter balance on the other side. The Phantom sat level on the ground. It took off and flew nicely. It did go slower when flying backwards.

Attachments

• Phantom arm mount.jpg
    Phantom arm mount.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 703
Re: GoPro extended arm mount video

Here is a video from flying with that mount.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrI54MVDpPs[/youtube]

I didn't make a video on putting the mount on. But it is relatively simple.
First, get a carbon fiber driver, take it on the golf course and hack away. When you break the driver, cut it in about the middle.
The rod is just ziptied to where the landing gear and body join. I still had the handle on the club.
My first attempt at mounting the rod, the balance of the copter was way off. When I took off, I did a ground loop and landed upside down.
I moved the club in about 5" to create a counterbalance when the gopro was mounted to the end of the stick. I had to add a little weight(2, 1/2"x1" Bolts) also to that side. The copter should be balanced on a flat surface with everything attached.
My next flight, I'm going to raise the gopro a little higher so the phantom is at the bottom of the frame.
I can take som closer photos if needed.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20