GoPro Drain on P2 Battery

Reaction score
Hey, maybe this has already been covered on another thread, but as I understand it the Phantom battery is being used to charge the GoPro when it is connected through the Zenmuse. I see the red light is illuminated when the camera is off and the Phantom is powered on so I guess its true. There probably is minimal current flow when the GoPro is fully charged, however I want to Maximize main battery (flight) time and am not concerned with the GoPro going dead while flying. Has anyone looked into "hacking" the power wiring to eliminate the charging of the GoPro battery from the Phantom battery ??

If you really want to maximise the flight time then take off the Zenmuse.

Thanks,

Kev

Someone did the math a while back, 11 seconds is what you'd gain. Meanwhile you may have times where you run out of battery while airborne, have the hassle of replacing the GoPro battery which means taking it out of the zenmuse, and also wiring the GoPro to something to charge it.

Not worth it, move on to something else.

mcmax20 said:
Someone did the math a while back, 11 seconds is what you'd gain. Meanwhile you may have times where you run out of battery while airborne, have the hassle of replacing the GoPro battery which means taking it out of the zenmuse, and also wiring the GoPro to something to charge it.

Not worth it, move on to something else.

I guess I'am not following your logic. Why would you take the GP out of the zenmuse to charge it? I charge it by plugging in a mini USB before each use. But what if I forgot, and the GP battery was nearly dead. Then it is draining the Phantom battery the entire time it is powered up and flying. So maybe even in this scenario I only gain 11 seconds. To me it goes along with why I cut the extra wires on my transmitter harness. Extra weight, don't need it, only makes flight time that much shorter. All adds up man.

I Emailed DJI about getting the wiring diagram for the ribbon cable for the Gimbal they just got back to me yesterday they want me to call them I won't have time till the end of the week . I do not want the gimbal charging my gopros I just don't want any of my gopros getting fried (has been reported) and gain little flight time more about messing up my gopro I use my gopros other than the phantoms my first phantom was just a nother mount for the cam not like most here that got a gopro for the phantom .
After I talk with DJI I will post back .

Just charge your GoPro before flying. You will find the power to the Zenmuse is probably the same as what is powering the GoPro so you will need to dissect the Zenmuse if you want to disable power between it and the GoPro. Not worth the effort and you won't get a schematic so you'll have to scope it to figure it out.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4