Gopro distance perception

Reaction score
Just started flying the Phantom 2 with my Gopro and find it hard to judge the distance whilst flying FPV. I find that when I think I am coming to the edge of a field for example I am literally miles away. I have my camera set on wide so do any of you think its just a learning problem or should I set the camera on medium or narrow view?

That's why some people use 2 cameras and a switcher.

Maybe if we can superimpose a smaller box in the middle of the screen as guidance, it would help. Or project the wide angle image to an extra wide screen that wraps around our head; then the extra angles will correlate to our peripheral vision.

LeoS said:
That's why some people use 2 cameras and a switcher.

Maybe if we can superimpose a smaller box in the middle of the screen as guidance, it would help. Or project the wide angle image to an extra wide screen that wraps around our head; then the extra angles will correlate to our peripheral vision.

fpv-safe-zone.jpg

The Lilliput monitor has this as a feature. You can overlay "safe" margins and a center crosshair. Note curiously that the artificial horizon of the OSD is slightly off-center. Neither have helped much with my collision avoidance but it does help with framing your shots.

Personally, I find GoPro medium and narrow are the only usable modes for filming. Wide has way too much fisheye.

glennbalsam said:
Just started flying the Phantom 2 with my Gopro and find it hard to judge the distance whilst flying FPV. I find that when I think I am coming to the edge of a field for example I am literally miles away. I have my camera set on wide so do any of you think its just a learning problem or should I set the camera on medium or narrow view?

I am having the same issue getting used to FPV, next flight I am going to try a narrow fov and see how it goes.

ianwood said:
The Lilliput monitor has this as a feature. You can overlay "safe" margins and a center crosshair. Note curiously that the artificial horizon of the OSD is slightly off-center. Neither have helped much with my collision avoidance but it does help with framing your shots.

Personally, I find GoPro medium and narrow are the only usable modes for filming. Wide has way too much fisheye.

Wish I had read about that model before I ordered my Black Pearl 7"!
Btw, what kind of range have you gotten between that and the 250mw vex?

LeoS said:
ianwood said:

Wish I had read about that model before I ordered my Black Pearl 7"!
Btw, what kind of range have you gotten between that and the 250mw vex?

It's not a diversity set up so it might not be as strong but I can't say for sure. I've only had the cajones to get it out to about 500m so far. No issues at that distance. We'll see how long it takes me to push it further. I'm mostly in or around Los Angeles so not exactly ideal conditions for going too far away.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers