GoPro Dedicated External Antenna - CUSTOM JOB - Feedback?

Reaction score
I originally posted this in the FC40 forum, but thought it would make more sense here...

After trying just about everything to boost the range of my Wi-Fi connection with the GoPro (Amped Wireless repeater- SR10000 on the ground, & even tried mounting another AP on my Phantom & trying to bridge the connection), I am now working with a vendor that specializes in working with the GoPro's camera bus interface to develop a solution for mounting a battery powered RP-SMA style antenna that directly interfaces with the GoPro's bus to boost the range of Wi-Fi connection by many orders of magnitude.

I am curious to see how many people out there would jump on the chance to get a true external antenna that would increase their Wi-Fi range for the GoPro, without having to buy a complicated FPV setup, with transmitter, receiver, display, etc? Before anyone makes the comment that there's a delay in the FPV camera feed from the GoPro, I understand that. This would be a fit for the type of person that really likes using their $4-500 GoPro & doesn't want to add additional weight & complication & $$$$ by doing a dedicated FPV setup on top of their GoPro.

Please share any thoughts you have on something like this.

Thank you!

Re: GoPro Dedicated External Antenna - CUSTOM JOB - Feedback

Don't you think that GoPro wifi will interfere with the flight control of a P2 as its the same frequently? Proved many times with bad consequences. I don't see the point with lag and the huge risk of control loss. Sorry not for me.

Oh, maybe I should have clarified, it would be for Phantom's running on 5.8Ghz, not P2's.

IrishSights said:
Don't you think that GoPro wifi will interfere with the flight control of a P2 as its the same frequently? Proved many times with bad consequences. I don't see the point with lag and the huge risk of control loss. Sorry not for me.
+1

Maybe I'm mistaken, but how would the 2.4Ghz from a GoPro interfere with 5.8Ghz for the drone itself?

A P2's control frequency is 2.4Ghz not 5.8

This is for FC40/P1 quads running on 5.8Ghz for control...

Indeed.. the P1 and P2 (non vision) run on 2.4Ghz.. so this would be a very bad idea for them.

On the other hand, the FC40 and the P2 Vision models run on 5.8Ghz and this would work a treat!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20