GoPro Camera Mic Off

Reaction score
Maybe this is not new to you old P1/P2 salts.

I decided to turn off the camera microphone so I don't have to edit out the flying noise later. After-market microphone adapters that plug into the P2 USB jack are not made to also turn off the on-camera microphone...at least the 3 different ones I tried. Good that they only cost a few dollars each.

The GoPro brand adapter does turn the on-camera microphone off. The downside is, it's a straight jack adapter that is too long to clear the P2 left gear leg when rotating/pivoting in any direction. A right angle jack would have solved the clearance issue.

With some modification the straight jack from GoPro will clear the gear leg.

1. Cut off the cord about half way between both jack end.

2. Carefully shave the black soft square rubber/vinyl USB covering down to expose the braided shield. Trim the black to a length at about the 2nd 'o' in GoPro that is raise molded in to the black covering. That will be plenty enough to clear the gear leg, and still leave enough of the jack to grip for installation & removal from the side of the camera.

3. Use an ice pick, knife blade, small screwdriver to seperate the braided the length of the exposed braided wire cluster.

4. Twist the braided shield wires into its own wire. The shield is connected in the USB.

5. Remove the foil covering to expose the white & red wires.

6. Lay the 3 wires over the end and on to the depression area of the black covering (on top of the word 'GoPro'. Cut the ends of the 3 wires to a slightly different lengths so they lay flat in the depression without the ends touching each other.

7. A short piece of 1/2" shrink tubing will secure the 3 wires tight to the black jack covering.

8. A dab of silicone seal on the end will cover the exposed wires. Next time I'll use black sealer instead of clear for a nicer finish.

9. Done. The weight is about 3 grams.

Yes, I could have just cut the wires and braid off flush with the end, but I didn't want any chance of the wire ends or braid making contact with each other.

It doesn't turn off the microphone. It only turns off the beeping of button inputs.

Gary E said:
Maybe this is not new to you old P1/P2 salts.

I decided to turn off the camera microphone so I don't have to edit out the flying noise later.

What editor are you using?

It is one mouse click to remove audio for me in PPCS6. Heck, even GoPro's free app will remove audio.

This is a simple software "problem" that has attracted a hardware "solution" that is totally unnecessary.

I use the 3+. It doesn't have a mic turn off option. And I don't use smartphones with apps. So editing software has to be used on the PC.

Gary E said:
So editing software has to be used on the PC.

PPCS6 and GoPro Studio are both PC software. I am sure that other NLEs offer the same functionality as well. It's REALLY BASIC stuff.

PPCS6 and GoPro Studio are both PC software. I am sure that other NLEs offer the same functionality as well. It's REALLY BASIC stuff.

I'm nipping it at the source. One less thing to do during editing. Reads like you have something against simple hardware modifications.

The weight is about 2.8 grams (0.1 oz.). Very insignificant.

Gary E said:
I'm nipping it at the source. One less thing to do during editing. Reads like to have something against simple hardware modifications.

Deleting an audio track in post takes less than a second. Unless you are a really slow mouse clicker. In that case it might take two seconds.

You are offering a solution to a "problem" that doesn't exist.

Yes, the problem does exist. Try turning off the microphone on a 3+. Hardware way: no software editing is needed. 1 click, two clicks, one second, two seconds, or whatever.

I don't even know what PPCS6 or NLE's are. Talk English to us ignorants.

Gary E said:
Yes, the problem does exist. Try turning off the microphone on a 3+. Hardware way: no software editing is needed. 1 click, two clicks, one second, two seconds, or whatever.

Your "problem" has been addressed by video editing software for over 20 years. Selective muting or lowering the audio gain on a source track is basic stuff.

By all means rock on with your ghetto hardware "fix" while everyone else just toggles off the audio track from the GoPro in their video editing software.

Gary,
Try not to take offense to chim chim, he seems to know everything about everything and has been blasting his supremacy all over the board since he joined this afternoon.

gecarey said:
Gary,
Try not to take offense to chim chim, he seems to know everything about everything and has been blasting his supremacy all over the board since he joined this afternoon.

Why do you find the truth so troubling?

I don't know everything (never claimed to despite your idiotic claim) but muting an audio track in post is an incredibly basic action. Much easier and more effective than kludging some redneck hardware "fix" because someone (the OP) doesn't understand the basic capabilities of video editing software.

gecarey said:
Gary,
Thanks for the heads up. I'll continue my forum contributions for those interested in contributing positive feedback. Like others, I'm new at multirotors, having only been with it for about a year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues