GoPro buying DJI?

Reaction score
Anyone see the CNBC interview last week with Nick Woodmen? Is GoPro buying DJI? Anyone have any info on this?

I missed that interview... this would be amazing if true though.

low&slow said:
Anyone see the CNBC interview last week with Nick Woodmen? Is GoPro buying DJI? Anyone have any info on this?

This is what Woodman said...

Woodman highlighted the synergies between GoPro cameras and drones, which could help drive growth both domestically and internationally.

"I obviously can't comment on potential future product introductions, but what I can say is that the drone market is fabulous for GoPro, and GoPro is fabulous for it," he said.

And where is the dji connection inferred in this statement? This is boundless speculation hopping.

No one mentioned DJI at all. I thought I heard him say they were in negotiations with a company. I wish I could find the entire interview.

I really hope it's true.

It does bother me at some visceral level that I'm flying around a $1300 piece of Chinese engineering. Doesn't make me feel good that I contributed to a country that doesn't respect human rights or the core values of democracy that America and many other Western nations fought and died for. China is one the biggest hackers of American databases.

I almost feel like a traitor for flying this **** bird! :oops:

TimmyG94 said:
I really hope it's true.

It does bother me at some visceral level that I'm flying around a $1300 piece of Chinese engineering. Doesn't make me feel good that I contributed to a country that doesn't respect human rights or the core values of democracy that America and many other Western nations fought and died for. China is one the biggest hackers of American databases.

I'm with you on this

TimmyG94 said:
I really hope it's true.

The GoPro is made in China too.

This a a Phantom forum, politics are best kept to other appropriate places. All it takes now is some one to accuse the US of something. Come guys, if you dont like the Phantom becauses its Chinese why buy it...could go on but its going off topic and heading into choppy waters.

smole said:
Yes but just like Apple, GoPro designs and engineers their products inside the USA using American engineers and designers! DJI is 100% Chinese from top to bottom.

I'm not as bothered that these products are made by cheap Chinese labor because that's a no-brainer for any company worried about the bottom line. I'm more bothered that China is "out-innovating" the U.S. when it comes to drones. The Chinese are primarily known for being trademark-stealers and copyright-infringers .... so how are they kickin' our American asses when it comes to a burgeoning UAS industry? We need to hang our American heads in shame over this!

:oops: :oops: :oops:

IrishSights said:
This a a Phantom forum, politics are best kept to other appropriate places. All it takes now is some one to accuse the US of something. Come guys, if you dont like the Phantom becauses its Chinese why buy it...could go on but its going off topic and heading into choppy waters.
+4

TimmyG94 said:
I'm more bothered that China is "out-innovating" the U.S. when it comes to drones. The Chinese are primarily known for being trademark-stealers and copyright-infringers .... so how are they kickin' our American asses when it comes to a burgeoning UAS industry? We need to hang our American heads in shame over this!
:oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm not sure the Chinese are out-innovating the US when it comes to drones. If you want to qualify that statement and limit it to consumer drones, I would agree.

The US leads in the most sophisticated of technical products. These tend to be in the realm of aerospace and defense. Clearly, US drones are second to none in terms of capability and innovation.

Captain Obvious said:
TimmyG94 said:
DJI is 100% Chinese from top to bottom.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3E4CPPz32c[/youtube]

So DJI hires a few white guys in their PR marketing dept. and that suddenly makes them an American company?

Sheesh, you should be teaching economics at the local college.

smole said:
TimmyG94 said:
I really hope it's true.

So are Apple products but at least they're are both American owned companies.

TimmyG94 said:

Get used to it. You can thank the FAA as it has effectively made it impossible to innovate in the drone space in the US right now.

As for DJI getting bought by GoPro, it's not impossible but I doubt Chinese regulators would like it. It's one of a few occasions where the industry's flagship innovator is Chinese. I also think there are a lot of business units that aren't compatible with GoPro's primary focus.

Some newer GoPro models have terrible reputations draining the batteries in the units when the blue tooth mode is on. The Blue tooth mode can be on even When the camera is turned off. It is a huge hassle turning Blue Tooth off every time you turn the camera off or taking the battery out every time. In other words GOPro has some huge problems and I do not know if their corporation would be a plus to any drone manufacturer.

Yes it is a hassle when the camera is used 10-15 times a day. Any decent soft ware would turn off everything at one time. This is not the 1990's and their software is extremely basic for a $400 unit. The $400 package also does not come with a SIM card.
Go figure.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31