GoPro battery needed?

Reaction score
Bit of a rookie question but I see the Zenmuse seems to power the GoPro. Is the battery still meant to be in the camera, or should it be removed?

wat17 said:
Bit of a rookie question but I see the Zenmuse seems to power the GoPro. Is the battery still meant to be in the camera, or should it be removed?

Yup.
You need for balance as the gimbal is designed/balanced specifically with the battery intact.
What gopro btw?

Thought so. Was looking at ways to reduce weight.

Using a 3+ Black on a H3-3D

You don't want to reduce weight on the gimbal.
You want dead centre of gravity/neutral balance to reduce motor stress, especially in the roll motor.
To find the sweet spot, leave the phantom off and flip her over on a perfectly levelled surface and make sure the camera "floats" and does not drop/flop to one side. If it does, get some coins to counter balance.

I know that the H3-3D was built specifically for the Gopro3 and NOT the Black 3+. The 3+ BE lops to one side on mine.

The GP3B and the GP3B+ cameras are the same weight.

Same weight or not, the center of balance between the two is different. Using the same battery, my Hero 3 Black is perfectly balanced with the H3-3D and my Hero 3+ Black is not. My gimbal requires counterweighting for the Hero 3+ Black to balance.

Your Friendly Canard said:
dptcalvin said:
The GP3B and the GP3B+ cameras are the same weight.

Same weight or not, the center of balance between the two is different. Using the same battery, my Hero 3 Black is perfectly balanced with the H3-3D and my Hero 3+ Black is not. My gimbal requires counterweighting for the Hero 3+ Black to balance.

My H3-3D running my GP3B/GP3B+/GP4B with or without ND filters do not require counterweights to capture buttery smooth video.
That doesn't mean they're perfectly balanced.

One thing I've noticed is there seems to be some variation between gimbals. My H3-3D freaks out with the 3+ Black and no counter balancing. The motors screech in pain. But using the same battery, the Hero 3 Black works just fine without counter balancing.

But others, like you, seem to report no issues.

Did some testing today. With battery on my 3+ black it is not balanced. Removed the battery and added ND filter then coin to balance. No difference in the quality of footage.

Only down side being is that you have to fight gimbal trying to turn on and start gopro.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic