GoPro and GPS interference

Reaction score
I have never had a problem P1 or P2 most use a gimbal so no case .

Test it yourself. Downland an app called GPS Test. Put it close to your GoPro when it is off. Let sit until the app gets all the satellites. Note the strength and how many. Then turn on your GoPro and see if there is any less strength showing. I have seen a video on this forum of this very test. There was no difference. Best to satisfy yourself though. I have had no problems getting 10+ satellites and have had no reason to do the test.

IrishSights, great suggestion. I tried this.

With the app running (I am indoors) I can get 8 satellites in use in the app within 30 or 40 seconds.
If I put the GoPro next to the phone (obviously not in the gimbal), the total drops to 0 satellites in use.

So it is a noisy little camera alright.

I wonder if the reason it seems to work OK in the Phantom is that the gimbal acts as a screen - perhaps the gimbal is connected to the 0v line too.

Thoughts?

I am not buying it. With the 2.4GHz radio turned off, what else inside the GoPro would generate enough RF noise to interfere with something on the other side of the quad?

Yep - distance might be the only thing stopping it being a problem.
The camera is quite a long way from the GPS sensor on the Phantom when it is in the gimbal.

i've used GoPro Hero 3 & 3+'s & never had an issue, my Phantoms never done anything thats not been expected

Put any electronics too close to a GPS antenna and it will interfere with the signal. Instead of wrapping your GoPro, you'll get much better results putting shielding copper tape under the GPS antenna on the inside of the top half of the shell.

Thanks ianwood I have already done this mod. No noticeable difference however.
Possibly means it was as good as it can be.

Hughie said:
Yes I agree, I may be looking for a problem which is not there.

Still interesting to discover the camera is so RF noisy.

This is exactly what I am seeing (from 40s) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cMESqwBz9U

In his demonstration he would achieve the same results with the GoPro switched off as all he's doing is blocking the GPS signals with the metal body of the Gopro.

To qualify this I have checked my GH3B with a spectrum analyser and I see no emissions in the GPS allocation.

Regards

Nidge

Thanks.

Edit : It could have been more of a problem with the hero 2.
This is hardly scientific, but this could be a proximity issue here, rather than a blanket block as was suggested for sitting a gopro on top of a satellite reciever
http://www.yourepeat.com/watch/?v=ojY4csnbMi0

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic