GoPro 4 - It's here!

ianwood said:
Jaybee said:
The only reason I will be upgrading to this right now is for 2.7k at 50fps.

Should tide me over nicely until I move forward to a new GH4 capable multicopter.

2.7K 50 will be my go to shooting mode as well. Should make for some nice slow motion and less stuttering. And don't forget, double the processor speed means half the rolling shutter so it should be a winner on all fronts. This may delay my jump to the S900/GH4 if I can get myself to accept the lens limitations.

Alib said:
phillip bloom has already tested the GP4 black with phantom and lightbridge... so all is good on compatability front

2.7K 50 for me too... I've been waiting for this!

Thanks for sharing that!

Good to know. I'd suggest positioning a shop vac hose next to the Dremel as you grind the aluminum to catch all the shavings.

Anyone have any success with using the Hero4 with the V1 gimbal that doesn't have the side cable. I am unable to get FPV through the Hero4.

May have to buy a new gimbal or something.

Finally got the Hero4 Black. Still fiddling with it. Will put it all together tomorrow time permitting (working 12-hr shifts) and give it a test flight.

This is a huge upgrade from my HERO HD.

It gets plenty hot and I think that is affecting the SD card. Occasionally it'll say SD ERR. But it's an old SD card too that I had problems with before and crashed a lot in my Hubsan X4.

Does anyone have problem with the GoPro App not showing video preview on ANDROID? Sure this won't be a problem when flying because Wi-Fi will be off but I got the GoPro for multi use.

Also, I don't know why they claim Bluetooth. There is no option for it in the menus or manual.

gword256 said:
Finally got the Hero4 Black. Still fiddling with it. Will put it all together tomorrow time permitting (working 12-hr shifts) and give it a test flight.

This is a huge upgrade from my HERO HD.

It gets plenty hot and I think that is affecting the SD card. Occasionally it'll say SD ERR. But it's an old SD card too that I had problems with before and crashed a lot in my Hubsan X4.

Does anyone have problem with the GoPro App not showing video preview on ANDROID? Sure this won't be a problem when flying because Wi-Fi will be off but I got the GoPro for multi use.

Also, I don't know why they claim Bluetooth. There is no option for it in the menus or manual.

It gets hot because the card is too slow. Get an Ultra and you shouldn't have any problems. The video preview on the Android only goes to 1080. Anything higher and you will get the preview not supported.

badbrad97 said:
Anyone have any success with using the Hero4 with the V1 gimbal that doesn't have the side cable. I am unable to get FPV through the Hero4.

May have to buy a new gimbal or something.

that's being discussed heavily in the latest pages of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=26398

basically there's some sort of issue with the H3-3D v1 and hero4's. one of the guys in that other thread has even been in touch with GoPro directly about it and they're kind of pissed.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to have the same issue with my V2 H3-3D that I modded back to having a rear/Hero port. I won't know for sure until I put my Hero4 on sometime in the Oct 17-19 timeframe

Question to those who have installed the hero4 on a Phantom already, does the extra weight have any effect on its performance? I know it's not much (12 g I believe), but I also know these things are quite finicky. Does the gimbal appear to be strained at all or does it perform the exact same as with the 3/3+?

badbrad97 said:
It gets hot because the card is too slow. Get an Ultra and you shouldn't have any problems. The video preview on the Android only goes to 1080. Anything higher and you will get the preview not supported.

I'll get a new 32 stick soon to replace the old one. But the HERO4 gets hot when just charging. Is that also normal? By hot I I don't mean burning but hotter than I think electronics should get.

I don't get any video feed on my Android at any res but I'll keep trying. I sent in a ticket to GoPro to see whats up.

gruvpix said:
Question to those who have installed the hero4 on a Phantom already, does the extra weight have any effect on its performance? I know it's not much (12 g I believe), but I also know these things are quite finicky. Does the gimbal appear to be strained at all or does it perform the exact same as with the 3/3+?

I never had a H3+ but I installed my H4 without the gimbal trimming and I am seeing no problems. Unfortunately I don't know what abnormal would be.

Picked up a Hero 4 black today. Mounted it to the H3-3D (ribbon cable version). Had to redo the counterweights to get it to a neutral balance with the Polar Pro ND. The side button doesn't seem to be at risk of being pressed while in the gimbal. FPV looks normal. First flight in the morning.

h3-3d-h4b.jpeg

ianwood said:
Picked up a Hero 4 black today. Mounted it to the H3-3D (ribbon cable version). Had to redo the counterweights to get it to a neutral balance with the Polar Pro ND. The side button doesn't seem to be at risk of being pressed while in the gimbal. FPV looks normal. First flight in the morning.

h3-3d-h4b.jpeg

Can you explin or link to neutral balance? Thanks.

gword256 said:
Can you explin or link to neutral balance? Thanks.

Tape some coins to the side and back of the gimbal to counter-weigh the neutral density filter. Some claim that not attempting to balance it out will put extra strain on the gimbal motors, others say they've been doing it to no ill effect.

I think he was asking for an even more basic explanation...
gword with everything connected properly and the Phantom powered OFF, you should be able to position the Gopro/gimbal let's just say facing perfectly forward... and when you let go of the gopro/gimbal it should basically stay right where it is because it's supposed to be balanced.
Here is an example of the gimbal NOT being neutral balanced.. you can see when I release the gopro it falls to one side hard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JalsB-N5QP0

After I took that video, I made another video soon after with my solution... I basically just added some weight to the opposide side of the gopro and when I was done, you'll see that when I release the gopro it barely moves at all. If you don't want to listen to me explain just skip to 40 seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5J_CCL62UE

the "add weight to the opposite side until it's balanced" applies to any of the axis. for example in the case mentioned a few posts ago in this thread, adding a different filter or lens can throw the balance off on a completely different axis (rotate up/down) because now the gopro is heavier on it's front

QYV said:
I think he was asking for an even more basic explanation...

Yes, the video's in particular were helpful. With my H4 it does quickly come to a rest on one side when unpowered but I've never took note of a motor noise. So I may use a penny to counterbalance.

FYI love the ghetto-fabulous balancing table!

Just a quick update: The H3-3D is very noisy and sometimes will twitch/vibrate unless you balance it perfectly. Any excessive motor noise means it's not balanced. Noise = vibration. Pitch balance in particular is very tricky. The balance will change as the pitch changes depending on how you've positioned the the counterweight.

Some of our 3D printer friends need to get on this and design a snap on counterbalance. One for a naked Hero 4 black and one for a Hero 4 black with a Polar Pro. If it is perfectly balanced in all axes, uses less weight (and more fulcrum), and doesn't get tangled up in landing gear, etc., you'll make a mint!

More tests today, weather permitting as I am in Chicago.

jkohut said:
This might be worth wild looking at for the h3-3d https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8jplqLcmek

there's been several version of this process posted here in the last week, but other people saying it's not an issue and their button isn't in the way.
very curious as to what the difference is between the folks hitting that button and folks saying it doesn't hit the button.

looking forward to getting my 4 in a week!

As above. Also thinking that a bit of card cut out to size of the rear of the plate and inserted into the plate would sit the whole GoPro forward a bit and still be able to secure it with the bracket and screws. Gotta be better than grinding a section out. IMHO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers