Gopro 3+ remote controlling video

Ash

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I have 1001 questions I would like to ask but for now can someone tell me if I can use my remote control fob which came with the Gopro 3+ black and 3 axis gimbal to start and stop the video recording whilst the phantom is in flight. My concern is that there may be some interference and cause the Phantom to malfunction or flyaway. Thanks to all that read

No! Dont use it! Gopro wifi needs to be on to do it and that operates on the same frequency as the phantom flight control. There have been many disasters from having it enabled.

Hi . Glad you have confirmed my worries. Its a shame would have been so handy because I want lots of small clips. Wonder if there is any pother way of doing this? Thank you

Ash said:
Its a shame would have been so handy because I want lots of small clips. Wonder if there is any pother way of doing this? Thank you

I'm using 5.8Ghz RC transmitter/receiver so gopro doesnt interfere with it but trust me the range of it is so small its unusable anyway.

Sorry I assumed it was Phantom 2 you were using which uses 2.4Ghz for RC control. There is no way to start/stop video in flight.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

I personally turn the wifi on and use the iPhone app to change settings easily on the gopro, such as resolution, framerate, etc. but of course I turn it back off before I fly... you should never fly your Phantom with the GP's wifi turned on. That wifi and your Phantom's Remote Control (for non-Vision) operate on similar frequencies and can interfere, it's just not worth the risk.
Also like z10 stated the range on those little wifi remote controls is so short it won't be any use to you anyway once you fly off any distance... so indeed all of us with Phantom+GoPro press record before we take off and record the entire flight until you return back and press stop... or the SD card runs out of space I guess. then edit the videos down on a computer later... I'm still just using the GoPro Studio program (free)

I suggest getting several SD cards for the GoPro and just swapping them. I usually record at 1080p 60fps so I can use the Medium FOV feature and not have super fisheye-curved videos. At those settings I find that I can record several like at least 5 or more full flights before one 16GB SD card gets full.
32GB SD cards are so cheap now, like $20 each or less.
Here's one for $15: http://slickdeals.net/f/7206356-32gb-sa ... e-shipping
and here's a super high speed one for $20 http://slickdeals.net/f/7204610-32gb-sa ... e-shipping

I'd say with a pair of 32GB cards to play with there's no way you can fill cards before you're pulling the videos off to your computer for editing/storage.

I agree using good quality SD cards is essential, I would include Samsung in the "good" category they aren't exactly cheap knockoff memory :)

Thanks great advice! Yes I do use the Phantom 2 and I use sandisk sd cards as I believe they are very good. I haven't actually had the chance to go out and film with my phantom kit yet so I am just getting as much advice as possible. I have the Gopro software on my laptop now, it seems nice and easy, this is what I want. I will have to see if i can split the video into many sections then edit each section at a time. Thanks guys

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20