GoPro 3+ FPV

Reaction score
Good morning all,

Just after a little advice/some recommendations.

I have a phantom one fitted with a gimbal that I attach my GoPro 3+ to. It works wel and gets to great footage. However, I use the GoPro and my iPad to see the live footage and there is a lag of about 2 seconds which makes it difficult to fly accurately. Can anyone suggest ways/setups to stop this lag? Wanting to do this in the most clean and cheap way.

Thanks a lot,
Josh

Hi LagoonJosh

Well the GoPro 3 + does create a lot of Lag anyway, you just have to look at the lag in the GoPro app to see that. Also you are very limited in range only using the Gopro WiFi..
You would be better off with a Black-pearl monitor check this out:-

Black Pearl 7" FPV No Blue Screen LCD Monitor Built in Diversity Receiver 40ch 5.8GHz inc Raceband - Quadcopters.co.uk

And an immesrsionRc tx unit like this:-

ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz Audio/Video Transmitter - FatShark compatible (600mw)

I know its not cheap, but it will give you very good FPV with only milliseconds of lag, and you could use FatShark goggles with the ImmersionRC transmitter.

Regards
Waylander

I agree with Waylander, WiFi range is really short compared to the set-up he recommends. There are cheaper alternatives out there and you will need to mount the video Tx somewhere on the P1 but most people seem to get away with velcro so no need to worry about drilling holes everywhere! Personally, goggles of any kind need to be tested before you buy. It's totally immersive using them but it also means that you can easily miss people coming into your flight area unless you have a spotter with you. Screens like the Black Pearl obviate this issue to a large extent, just like using your iPad

Personally I don't have experience of this specific kit although I have used a Boscam 25Mw video Tx on a 250 sized quad without any issues at all, they seem pretty popular at the budget end of the market here in the UK where technically that is our maximum legal power limit. As this kit comes supplied with connecting lead for the GoPro it should be pretty simple to install and use with more or less any video Rx and screen. Not sure about the market where you are, but it may be possible to source a cheap monitor with separate Rx to keep the price lower than a Black Pearl with in-built receiver? As long as you look for a 'Non Blue Screen' type you should be alright, depends on your budget I guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.