Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

GOPro 3 Black with new firmware ADATA SDHC Data Test

Discussion in 'Firmware' started by CameraGuy, Aug 2, 2013.

1. CameraGuy

Hello all,

I was on the road when the new GoPro 3 firmware came out, and so this morning, I got a chance to update one of my two cameras and do a quick test.

I have been using ADATA 32GB Class 10 MicroSDHC cards in my Gopros and since most of my clips are about 8 minutes, I have no issues to report.

Today I did the upgrade, and tested the 2.7K protune setting to see whether my data rate would be stepped down, or be maintained at 45mbps.

I can report, I shot about 30 seconds of video on a close to empty card, and it worked just fine. The throughput was 46mbps in both 2.7k and 1080p60.

The card regularly sells in Canada for about $30.00 or less. About 30% of the Lexar card recommended by GoPro.

Hope this helps someone out there.

D

2. ArshadR

Thanks Darren! Yeah I just picked one of these up from Canada Computers. Hadn't tried the 2.7k or 4k tests yet but sounds like I should pick up some more...

3. CameraGuy

They have the higher quality card on sale this weekend for only $49.95

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=058667

I might buy one of those.

I suppose the right way to do this is to fill a card with a video. That might change things, but I suspect not.

The GoPro Fanatics website is down. I was hoping to report this on that sight too.

D

4. martcerv

Thanks by the look of it so far its only the Sandisk cards that have reduced max bitrates, I wonder if anyone here has a card that is not Sandisk but is writting at only 35Mbps in the high res or frame rate protune modes.

A good way to test stability of any card is to run it in protune 720p120 or 1440p48 for a full battery cycle, if it runs to the end the card should be able to handle it. It seems a bit odd that only Sandisk cards have been crippled as some people also had issues with other cards in the past failing in the high bitrate modes.

5. CameraGuy

I did do a 25 minute recording at 720p120 and it still recorded over 45mbps. Now, it did break the file into a couple of pieces, which I guess is a file size limitation of the camera/formatting, but still, it was fine. Footage looked OK.

Guess my cheap little card is AOK

D

6. martcerv

The gopro splits in 4GB chunks which is a limitation of fat32 formatted cards which is pretty much all sdhc 32GB or smaller, larger cards are exfat but the camera still splits files. Passing 25 min isnt a guarantee but its a good sign as most under spec cards will stop before that.

In theory all c10 cards should easily handle the gopro with a max write speed of 50Mbps as 10MB/s is 80Mbps and c10 spec is meant to be always above 10MB/s. Sandisk and a few others got caught out with some poor batches of cards that caused the majority of issues in the 3 black and the new firmware has hopefully addressed this issue.

Your card looks ok but also flash memory degrades over time and I have seen cheaper cards that start out great but get worse after a bit of use. Sandisk used to be the best and gave a lifetime guarantee but this issue has hurt their reputation pretty badly and why gopro is so pissed with them as it also made then look pretty bad.