GOPro 3 Black with new firmware ADATA SDHC Data Test

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was on the road when the new GoPro 3 firmware came out, and so this morning, I got a chance to update one of my two cameras and do a quick test.

I have been using ADATA 32GB Class 10 MicroSDHC cards in my Gopros and since most of my clips are about 8 minutes, I have no issues to report.

Today I did the upgrade, and tested the 2.7K protune setting to see whether my data rate would be stepped down, or be maintained at 45mbps.

I can report, I shot about 30 seconds of video on a close to empty card, and it worked just fine. The throughput was 46mbps in both 2.7k and 1080p60.

The card regularly sells in Canada for about $30.00 or less. About 30% of the Lexar card recommended by GoPro.

Hope this helps someone out there.

D

Thanks Darren! Yeah I just picked one of these up from Canada Computers. Hadn't tried the 2.7k or 4k tests yet but sounds like I should pick up some more...

Thanks by the look of it so far its only the Sandisk cards that have reduced max bitrates, I wonder if anyone here has a card that is not Sandisk but is writting at only 35Mbps in the high res or frame rate protune modes.

A good way to test stability of any card is to run it in protune 720p120 or 1440p48 for a full battery cycle, if it runs to the end the card should be able to handle it. It seems a bit odd that only Sandisk cards have been crippled as some people also had issues with other cards in the past failing in the high bitrate modes.

I did do a 25 minute recording at 720p120 and it still recorded over 45mbps. Now, it did break the file into a couple of pieces, which I guess is a file size limitation of the camera/formatting, but still, it was fine. Footage looked OK.

Guess my cheap little card is AOK

D

The gopro splits in 4GB chunks which is a limitation of fat32 formatted cards which is pretty much all sdhc 32GB or smaller, larger cards are exfat but the camera still splits files. Passing 25 min isnt a guarantee but its a good sign as most under spec cards will stop before that.

In theory all c10 cards should easily handle the gopro with a max write speed of 50Mbps as 10MB/s is 80Mbps and c10 spec is meant to be always above 10MB/s. Sandisk and a few others got caught out with some poor batches of cards that caused the majority of issues in the 3 black and the new firmware has hopefully addressed this issue.

Your card looks ok but also flash memory degrades over time and I have seen cheaper cards that start out great but get worse after a bit of use. Sandisk used to be the best and gave a lifetime guarantee but this issue has hurt their reputation pretty badly and why gopro is so pissed with them as it also made then look pretty bad.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub