GoPro 3+ Black Wifi Question

Reaction score
I have looked around and haven't really found a definitive answer so hopefully someone here with a GoPro 3+ Black can help me.

I have what may be an odd question but I have an FC40 and have been trying to use that camera. It is probably the worst camera made as far as reliability. If I start recording and wifi drops, the recording stops.

I already have a GoPro HD Hero without wifi and am pretty happy with the quality but I want to be able to frame my shots when i'm in range.

Now for the question... if I start recording with the GoPro 3+ Black and wifi drops out, does the recording continue?=

Part 2 of the quesion (or maybe it's another one :D ) can you reconnect to the wifi preview while it is recording when it gets back into range?

Thanks in advance.
Tommy

I'm a little confused what you're asking but if you are talking about the GoPro's wifi i suggest you never use it near your phantom or it could crash. Interference is a common issue. Anyways my GoPro's wifi distance is very limited and wouldn't be a good solution for your problem. To answer your question, yes if you start recording and your phone looses the wifi signal the camera will still record.

tmartin62 said:
I have looked around and haven't really found a definitive answer so hopefully someone here with a GoPro 3+ Black can help me.

I have what may be an odd question but I have an FC40 and have been trying to use that camera. It is probably the worst camera made as far as reliability. If I start recording and wifi drops, the recording stops.

I already have a GoPro HD Hero without wifi and am pretty happy with the quality but I want to be able to frame my shots when i'm in range.

Now for the question... if I start recording with the GoPro 3+ Black and wifi drops out, does the recording continue?=

Part 2 of the quesion (or maybe it's another one :D ) can you reconnect to the wifi preview while it is recording when it gets back into range?

Thanks in advance.
Tommy

Yes the GoPro Hero 3+ will continue to record even if you loose the WiFi downlink. Since you fly a FC40 phantom which is remote controlled on 5.8gHz, and uses a FC40 camera which already operates on the 2.4 gHz band, it should be safe to use the GoPro Hero 3+ with WiFi (2.4 gHz) enabled.

I only want to be able to frame my shots, not really use it for navigation.

Also, I realize the range is poor. I setup a wifi repeater from my old linksys router with dd-wrt firmware. It helps the fc40 camera range but that camera is still crap.

That sounds great. Can you describe how you setup your linksys with DD-WRT to use with the FC40 camera? There is a 14 year old kid at my RC club who flies a FC40 who would love the extended range on the FC40 :) (I plan to use the TP-Link TL-WR702N)

DKDarkness said:
That sounds great. Can you describe how you setup your linksys with DD-WRT to use with the FC40 camera? There is a 14 year old kid at my RC club who flies a FC40 who would love the extended range on the FC40 :) (I plan to use the TP-Link TL-WR702N)

There are a few long threads about that in the fc40 forum. I believe I have a post detailing how to do it with the linksys as well as the new portable TP-link router.

search for MR3040 or TP-link and you should find it.
Also search for WRT54G (for the linksys version)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers