GoPro 3 BLACK the best video settings without Gimbal

Reaction score
I just bought GoPro3+ Black and was wondering what would be the best settings for shooting video with Phantom. There's a thread about why you shouldnt buy GoPro3+ for aerial footage (due to focus issues etc.) but so far I have been pleased with mine.

The biggest issues with GoPro is the jello-effect, otherwise I havent had any problems with jittering/shaking or anything like that. At the moment I'm flying without a gimbal and as far as I know gimbal would be helpful when it comes to jello effect.

My question:
What are the best settings when shooting video with GoPro without a Gimbal?
-Resolution?
-Framerate?
-Field of view?
-Protune on/off?

My observations so far:
Shooting in 2,7k causes a lot of jello, but 1080p works better, otherwise I'm unaware what kind of a difference comes with framerates/protune etc. And yes I'm going to test these on my own, but it would be really helpful if you would share your own experiences.

Thanks!

I film at 1080p 60fps Protune on and WB set to RAW. This gives me the most flexibility when editing the video in AP. The RAW footage looks like crap though.

It all depends on what you want to get out of your videos. If you want good quality footage, straight out of the camera then 1080p 60fps Protune off will give good results. If you want to do some editing then turn on Protune.

I found that adding a ND or Polarising filter to my H3 transformed the footage. It slows the shutter down, giving a small amount of blur between frames, thus accentuating the feeling of movement.

Thanks for the reply!

If I want good footage right out of the GoPro should I also use something else than RAW in WB? I'm interested on how you can colorgrade GoPro stuff, but I believe that I'm going to shoot a lot of footage for just for the fun of it. When thats the case I would really like to get the footage straight out and watch it without doing anykind of grading afterwards.

Have you had problems with the jello before u had the filters?

No jello issues at all, but I have balanced props and motors and my GoPro is mounted on a vibration isolated plate.

If you want great footage straight out of the GoPro then just turn Protune off and let the camera do it's stuff. You can't change the white balance with Protune off.

All depends on what you want to do with your video, its good to experiment with a few different modes.

Here is a test video I shot a while back showing all modes in the black on a phantom which may give you a bit of an idea of what you may want.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztjLeJXNLd4[/youtube]

The black + also has the superview mode which is something I experimented a bit with in the past as its something Abe from GoPro has been doing for a very long time, here is an older video of me doing this in the black manually. This can be easily done shooting in 1440p and then doing this dynamic stretching in cineform, it gives you complete control unlike how the + does it just one way in camera.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rffsMqwuMOs[/youtube]

I tend to always shoot with protune and cam raw, mostly in 30p but with balanced motors and props, anti jellp mount and also use ND filters in the SRP adapter to help reduce jello in bright light. If you dont want to mess with the image and use it straight out of the cam stick to regular modes but if you want the best image quality turn on pt and also possible cam raw then do all the image grading in post for a better result. In camera image settings look much better in the + then the regular black but I still prefer to do this all myself.

For FPV use I prefer using 1440p modes but if I want best video quality I will shoot in 2.7k or sometimes 1080p medium modes.

martcerv you seem to have somekind of a filter in your gopro or is it just part of your GoPro case?

My biggest issue is the jello effect. I'm gonna try the different settings this weekend. BTW did u have any problems with your Phantoms RC as it works in the same frequency as the GoPro wi-fi?

Miika said:
martcerv you seem to have somekind of a filter in your gopro or is it just part of your GoPro case?

My biggest issue is the jello effect. I'm gonna try the different settings this weekend. BTW did u have any problems with your Phantoms RC as it works in the same frequency as the GoPro wi-fi?

I do use the filter adapter from Snake River Prototyping, I use this for a few reason mostly to control shutter speeds with nd filters. This gives smoother motion to video and also helps reduce jello effect. It also protects the lens when flying the naked camera as I do now. Back then I was still flying in the housing but now use the naked gopro and a smaller srp adapter with filters.

I didnt get wifi interferance on that flight but I was verh close to it within 20m which is about the limit of the gopro wifi video on the regular black. I wouldn't recommend using the gopro with wifi on as the benefits for normal videos is very little with added risk as its in the same frequency range as the phantoms radio. At short range your unlikely to get a full lockout but range will be cut and the further you go the weaker the radio signal will be but the camera will keep broadcasting as loud as it does when close. This is the main reason to avoid using the wifi on your gopro if also using 2.4g radio.

That video I shot with all the modes I took the calculated risk as it made it much easier to go through all modes very quickly in a couple flights. For fpv I use the gopro but only for the video feed using the dji avl58 setup to transmit the video over 5.8g video link.

Jello was my main issue but I have pretty much eliminated it on my setup, its no one aspect that avoids it but a combination of all. Mostly balancing props first then an anti jello mount and also using nd filters to avoid the very high shutter speeds that cause the most jello.

I just ordered a VGE mount similiar to this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DJI-Phantom-V ... 20d644adfc

The winter is coming and I'm not so keen on flying with a gimbal&naked go pro here at finland. I'm not going to fly with Phantom&GoPro if the weather gets really bad, but I'm surely going to fly in winter time. When flying at winter, I believe having the GoPro case is more than a good idea.

Some say that VGE mount eliminates a lot of jello, so I'm keeping my thumbs up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers