GoPro 3 Black settings?

Rudel23 said:
LandYachtMedia said:
I use ProTune, 2.7k-cine, Camera RAW WB.

That gives me the best image once I remove the lens distortion.

And which sofware do you use for editing? I've got GoPro Studio, iMovie and Final Cut Pro X, it woud be quite interesting to know if you found standard good settings for all your protune videos (with small variations for each video), or you choose them according to each video. I give up to use protune since my videos were unactractive, no contrast, no saturation...Just lazyness :) But I was wondering since I always take pictures with my Canon EOS camera always in Raw ( and I'm good in Adobe Camera Raw), why shouldn't I make the same with my videos...so your advice could be interesting.
Question: what do you "reproach" to not-protune videos? Your final result is so better using protune? Because my feeling when I tried protune was that---after several correction, I was obtaining a nice video exactly as shooted without protune :), so I wondered: is it really worth the (editing) effort?

I edit with Avid Media Composer v7 and do color with DaVinci Resolve.

Protune will get you more highlight detail in the image. Camera RAW WB keeps the colors from getting as wacky as you pan the camera around the scene. The higher bitrate reduces compression artifiacts. Even with those improvements I have plenty of work to deal with the auto exposure fluctuations of the camera but I do that in Resolve using keyframes in a color correction node.

With Resolve I have a preset that brings the ProTune image back to a more normal range. I apply that to the first node in the chain. From there I use nodes to correct problem areas then use a final node to sharpen, do shot matching, and set white balance. I do any final polishing of the look in Media Composer since I have the Symphony option.

I do get a better image doing the color manipulation and sharpening in post versus doing it in camera. Where you notice it most is in the lighter areas of an image. I can keep texture in things like clouds where in other recording modes clouds can look like paper cutouts. Fine highlight detail is the kind of thing that helps the video look professional. Clipping highlights is one of those things that screams amateur.

This may be a bit more complicated workflow than the norm here on the forum. I'm not advocating everyone duplicate this workflow. It is just how I do it.

Looks like Pete (CunningStuntFlyer) is back from banishment with a new name!

How do you get raw pics with the gopro?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20