GoPro 3 Black settings?

Reaction score
What settings are everyone using on their GoPro. I use wide, 1080p, 60 fps and wonder if this is the best for P2 videos? I am looking for the highest quality, smoothest video. GoPro experts please chime in.

Bill_Burkert said:
What settings are everyone using on their GoPro. I use wide, 1080p, 60 fps and wonder if this is the best for P2 videos? I am looking for the highest quality, smoothest video. GoPro experts please chime in.

Do 1080p, 60fps then slow it down to 30fps, you'll get smoother video.

If you don't mind 720p 120fps, slow it down to 30fps and your vids will look extra smooth!

I use protune on, 1080p 50 PAL, medium angle of view (wide always gets the prop blades in shot) Medium is still wide enough. I switch of OSD so it doesn't overlap the iOSD mini output. The footage needs grading but holds the most dynamic range and data. 1hr of recording time on 32Gb. I hope this helps.

I use 1080 50fps protune,

this way i have a way of slowing the footage down if its all getting a bit windy (really useful)
adjust the colour and brightness
i can output at 720 and have the ability to crop without losing quality
plus... in fcpX i can use the stabilise filter and allow it to crop my image slightly

oh yeh - i use a ragecams 5.4mm flat lens so i dont get the horrible blurring at the edges of the image that i used to get when i was trying to get rid of fisheye

lets hope the gopro4 has 2.7k at 50fps - so i could confidently do the same as above but with 1080 output

CunningStuntFlyer said:
2k/30, protune on, CAM RAW WB or 1080/60, protune on, CAM RAW WB(medium or wide FOV, depending).

Sometimes a CP or ND filter depending on light and desired look.

Nice settings. ;)

Do you use ND filter with the zenmuse?

Ah that's how they do it, I guess I'll give it a go, thanks and cheers.

thongbong said:
Bill_Burkert said:

Do 1080p, 60fps then slow it down to 30fps, you'll get smoother video.

If you don't mind 720p 120fps, slow it down to 30fps and your vids will look extra smooth!

GhostMaster said:
So it works with zenmuse? Or not?

Works for me so far: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7913

The counterbalance is important. The gimbal may work without it but it was designed to work with a balanced weight. In my opinion, an ND is pretty important to shooting with a Phantom in bright light.

As for optimal GP3 settings, shoot with the highest resolution you can. You can down-res and digitally zoom as needed. Always shoot in ProTune. It doubles the bit rate which means you're actually capturing a lot more information. It also does not grade or sharpen in camera so you have to do this afterwards. If you care about such things, shooting in 24/48p will give you a more film-like experience whereas 30/60p which has a more immediate TV (think Mexican telenovela) feel to it. Keep in mind, the lower the frame rate, the slower your panning must be.

More important to all of this is what you're filming, how you're framing it and pacing/sequencing your edits. Great work is done with inferior equipment all the time. The opposite is true as well.

I'm a huge fan of 1080p60 medium FOV.
It gives a much more film like field of view.

1080p 60 fps is the the most used, but it doesn't allow you to take video and pictures simultaneously, as well as protune (possible at 1080p 30 fps (NTSC)- or 24 (PAL)-, always without protune)...a nice feature, I always use video/pics together (best setting every 10 or 5 sec.) , so every flight I have a nice video and several good pictures!

Ravecreative said:
oh yeh - i use a ragecams 5.4mm flat lens so i dont get the horrible blurring at the edges of the image that i used to get when i was trying to get rid of fisheye

I didn't know about these ragecam lenses. How do you like it? Was hard is it to install? Does it work with Zenmuse?

Rudel23 said:
1080p 60 fps is the the most used, but it doesn't allow you to take video and pictures simultaneously, as well as protune (possible at 1080p 30 fps (NTSC)- or 24 (PAL)-, always without protune)...a nice feature, I always use video/pics together (best setting every 10 or 5 sec.) , so every flight I have a nice video and several good pictures!

You can use protune with 1080p 60fps now. Came out in a firmware update a while ago.

FlyingHigh said:
Rudel23 said:

You can use protune with 1080p 60fps now. Came out in a firmware update a while ago.

You kidding? You mean that I can use 1080p, 60 fps ( with or without protune) and use the simultaneous photo/video feature? That would be great, I look at once for the update....thanks!

LandYachtMedia said:
I use ProTune, 2.7k-cine, Camera RAW WB.

That gives me the best image once I remove the lens distortion.

And which sofware do you use for editing? I've got GoPro Studio, iMovie and Final Cut Pro X, it woud be quite interesting to know if you found standard good settings for all your protune videos (with small variations for each video), or you choose them according to each video. I give up to use protune since my videos were unactractive, no contrast, no saturation...Just lazyness :) But I was wondering since I always take pictures with my Canon EOS camera always in Raw ( and I'm good in Adobe Camera Raw), why shouldn't I make the same with my videos...so your advice could be interesting.
Question: what do you "reproach" to not-protune videos? Your final result is so better using protune? Because my feeling when I tried protune was that---after several correction, I was obtaining a nice video exactly as shooted without protune :), so I wondered: is it really worth the (editing) effort?

Rudel23 said:
FlyingHigh said:
Rudel23 said:

You kidding? You mean that I can use 1080p, 60 fps ( with or without protune) and use the simultaneous photo/video feature? That would be great, I look at once for the update....thanks!
Ah ok, I had downloaded the update months ago.... Yes, i can use protune but still I can use the feature video/Photo together only with 30 fps and without protune....that didn' t change. Thanks anyway!

Rudel23 said:
LandYachtMedia said:
I use ProTune, 2.7k-cine, Camera RAW WB.

That gives me the best image once I remove the lens distortion.

And which sofware do you use for editing? I've got GoPro Studio, iMovie and Final Cut Pro X, it woud be quite interesting to know if you found standard good settings for all your protune videos (with small variations for each video), or you choose them according to each video. I give up to use protune since my videos were unactractive, no contrast, no saturation...Just lazyness :) But I was wondering since I always take pictures with my Canon EOS camera always in Raw ( and I'm good in Adobe Camera Raw), why shouldn't I make the same with my videos...so your advice could be interesting.
Question: what do you "reproach" to not-protune videos? Your final result is so better using protune? Because my feeling when I tried protune was that---after several correction, I was obtaining a nice video exactly as shooted without protune :), so I wondered: is it really worth the (editing) effort?

The idea behind Protune is that it captures roughly twice as much detail (less compression) and doesn't apply any color or sharpening so you have more control of it in the post process. But out of the camera, Protune will look horrible. You need to adjust exposure, saturation and color as well as apply sharpening. Easiest thing to do is to take the Protune videos and put them through GoPro Studio and then export to FCPX. That is as close as you can get to a standard treatment. I find they still need adjustment after GoPro Studio but that is usually small by comparison. The results are much better than the non Protune modes.

spanktimonious said:
ianwood said:
The idea behind Protune is that it captures roughly twice as much detail (less compression)

That would be great if we could capture at roughly 66-101mbps but sadly we're limited to roughly 45 mbps in Protune.
ianwood said:
The idea behind Protune is that it captures roughly twice as much detail (less compression)
And bit rate to detail is not necessarily 1:1 when it comes to compression levels. More to the point, the exact amount is not the point but rather that it is more.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik