Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Google Maps - offline?

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by Ken73, May 19, 2016.

1. Ken73

I realize you can get offline maps by being online and swiping around (seen the video) but Google just recently re-introduced "offline maps" where you can actually download an area (limited of course.) Anyone know if DJI will be utilizing this capability in their next release? I checked and apparently they're not (I downloaded a fairly large area but it doesn't show in the DJI app.) Would be nice if I could utilize it within DJI as well as Google Maps app on my wi-fi only tablet.

2. Ariel@Hivemapper

We (Hivemapper) recently introduced proper offline 3D maps for the DJI Phantom / Inspire. It works exactly like Google Maps offline maps experience, except you get 3D map data in many areas throughout the US.

You have to fly with the Hivemapper app (3rd party app) - Fly with Hivemapper for DJI - Android Apps on Google Play -- which has most of the photo and video capabilities that the Go App has plus 3D map data so you know your true height above ground (YouTube demo).

[​IMG]

3. Mark The Droner

Description:

CURRENTLY SUPPORTED AREAS
    California
    Florida

konidair likes this.
  4. DonaldictTrumperbatch

I thought DJI Go uses the google maps API, so why can't it access the offline maps? Pokemon Go can do that.
    Someone please tell DJI to add this feature, even if I had a tablet with mobile internet I would want to turn it off to reduce signal interference, so offline maps are really a must have.

5. gsweig

Also Hivemapper does not say for P3S

6. Ariel@Hivemapper

That is only for object data (buildings, trees)

For elevation terrain data, no-fly, satellite view, etc. Hivemapper supports 100% of the US.

7. Ariel@Hivemapper

We now do support the P3 Standard with maps offline mode. We just launched the offline maps mode so we have updated the Play Store listing.

8. Mark The Droner

Ok Thanks. I have a P2V so I guess I will have to wait until it crashes and burns or something...