Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Google Maps "drone" view

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sabalon, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Sabalon

So, Google maps has their satellite view, and then there is the street view. And that's on the Google side.

Then you have the ability for users to add photos and geotag them.

So the idea hit me - do you think Google would add drone shots. I was thinking you could pick a GPS coordinate, go to a given altitude and do a 360 shot. It would be nice if the altitude/gps/direction were integrated with the video to make it easy to map part of the shots with actually coordinates, but alas.

Of course, my other thought on this would be people trying to do some pretty stupid (unsafe) shots.

2. riverphantom3

If they did I think google would have their own drone pilots to take the pictures.

3. yojo182

If you have iOS you should check out photosphere. By Google I believe you can upload those and maybe you could upload your own self created 360 photos to google maps?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

4. tcope

As mentions, you can upload your photos direct to Google Maps. When someone views that area they will be displayed at the bottom of the screen. You can also turn on a feature in Google Earth to place a photo icon on the map of where you took the photo. So yes, this is a cool feature and Google already does this.

5. Skywalker

Has anyone done this? I'd like to see what it looks like...

6. yojo182

*Correction* it is no longer called photo sphere on iOS it is now simply street view from google it allows you to take full 360 up and down photos.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Sabalon likes this.