Goodluckbuy VISION gimbals

Reaction score
It looks like GoodLuckBuy has new gimbals for phantom 2 vision, although it looks like they are for swapping out the vision camera for use with a GoPro. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about these gimbals, and what (if anything) makes these gimbals specifically designed for Phantom 2 Vision...

I'm mostly interested because they are three axis, they can be powered by their own battery, and have their own controllers built in... Thus making it 100% plug and play. This is important to me because I'd like to maintain the ability to still use my VISION camera for the most part, particularly for photos. But with this gimbal I'd also be able to do short range highly stabalized video on my gopro... I'm also kind of interested in making my own handheld mount for this gimbal for on the ground gopro shots...

The downside to this setup would be loss of FPV, extra weight causing reduced flight time, and need for extended landing gear. Am I missing anything?

Looks like they offer two versions in plug and play. One with a generic gimbal controller for $120, and one with a "BGC" Gimbal Controller for $184. Does anyone know anything about these and the differences, software needed? Easy to calibrate?

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-phantom- ... 3-fpv.html

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-phantom- ... 3-fpv.html

That's more like BUILD and play. Neither one of them come assembled and if you search the threads here you'll find more than one frustrated GLB owner. Re: easy to calibrate - NO some of the BGC stuff is pretty reliable but as posted on the BGC site, GLB does not use, or sell REAL BGC boards they're all pirated. GLB is also very notorius for not including instructions

Personally, I'd let the dust settle on 3 axis gimbals until start seeing reviews.

If you're going for a 2-axis gimbal, spend a bit more money and get a Tarot. period. works great and has lots of support online.
if you're going for a cheap 3-axis gimbal, look into the DYS.

those Goodluckbuy gimbals are not for newbies, and while some people do have good-luck with them, others don't. - as they lack technical support.

I am not sure about "australian made". This is one hundred bucks chinese gimbal you can buy on ebay.

USD 99 FC200 2-axis Brushless Gimbal (Goodluckbuy)

Not wanting to put lots of dollars in an aftermarket gimbal I went for the FC200 Special 2-axis Brushless Gimbal Set w/Motors at USD 99.00.

sku_105105_1.jpg

Its not “plug and play” in that you have to do some soldering when installing it.

After some test flights I’m extremely pleased with the outcome :p .
You can view the gimbal and some flights I made here:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbb9JVA9qiY[/youtube]

The actual hardware installation is pretty straightforward if you know your way with a soldering iron and a volt meter.
You will need to replace the camera’s “audio” cable with a more flexible one.
Cost is pretty close to 0.00 if you make it yourself. See pictures below.
Then you need to connect the pitch wires to the Phantom.
You’ll need to solder or crimp the wires (brown and black) to a servo connector that will plug into the NAZA.
Cost: maybe USD 2 for the servo connector if you don’t have one lying around.
Finally you need to solder the power wires from the Gimbal’s controller board to the main board of the phantom.
I also added some deans plug so that I can unplug the power when calibrating the Phantom.

You’ll need a remote controller transmitter pitch control lever
Cost: USD 6.56 for example here:
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-phantom- ... lever.html

You’ll need 4 screws and spacers to screw the FC200 to the gimbal plate. I did not try the ones provided as the threads are slightly thicker than that of the camera. (I want to be able to get back to the original setup if the need arises).
Cost: negligible - hardest part will be finding the right thread size and length.
You’ll need to extend the landing gear – I use some plastic tubing per this link:
http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php? ... start=4180
You’ll need some earplugs :)
Some pictures of my setup:

2%20in%20one.jpg

I still have some vibration/jello at times, especially when flying sidways or against the wind – but that seems to be the case with many of the other gimbals.

Pros: great price, a sturdy and quality build, light weight compared to other gimbals at 192 grams and a tiny controller board.
Cons: Delivery can take a while (close to 4 weeks), finding screws and (making) spacers for the camera, not plug n play.

Rant on
I wonder why the thread I started on this particular gimbal was moved to this one without even a notificatin as to why?
Could it be that a gimbal at usd 99 that works poses some problems to a mod?
This gimbal is sold by other shops as well. So do not understand why its been placed in this thread.
Anyway rant off
Flight time is approx 5 minutes less than usual.

You’ll need to solder or crimp the wires (brown and black) to a servo connector that will plug into the NAZA.

The old camera servo wires are already connected to F2 in the NAZA through the shell - could you not use those ?
If so which ones - you have Red/Orange & Brown.

Do you know where you can get the plug that fits into the gimbal pitch control (4 pin) or know what it is called ?

PhantomKid said:
The old camera servo wires are already connected to F2 in the NAZA through the shell - could you not use those ?
If so which ones - you have Red/Orange & Brown.

Do you know where you can get the plug that fits into the gimbal pitch control (4 pin) or know what it is called ?

Yes you could use the old camera servo wires - but you'd need an extension with a plug that fits into it(or cut it off).
Can't remember how they connect to NAZA - I'd have to open the shell up and can't do it right now.

No I don't know what the plug is called but it seems to be pretty standard on gimbals on the IMU side so should be easy to find out.

Actually it would be easy to make a plug an play kit for this gimbal.
Ues a female 3 pin audio adapter flexible extension cable that would plug in the standard audio cable pin and back into the camera.
From that cable also create a Y cable that would power the gimbal.
Create a pitch cable extension from the servo plug to the pitch/roll gimbal plug.
Have some correct screws and spacers for the camera.
This would make it unnecessary to open the phantom or do any soldering.
I wonder why the Gimbal maker's do not offer this - would not cost more than USD 10 - 20 and they would have a plug n play gimbal for +-USD 130!

Looking good :!:

Yes you could use the old camera servo wires - but you'd need an extension with a plug that fits into it(or cut it off).
Can't remember how they connect to NAZA - I'd have to open the shell up and can't do it right now.

A standard servo cable (with a little trimming) fits into the Vision socket.I presume that the red and brown are for power and that the orange one is for signal - so no need to open her up again. Maybe the red and brown could be used to power the gimbal - makes for a tidy set up . . .

No I don't know what the plug is called but it seems to be pretty standard on gimbals on the IMU side so should be easy to find out.

Now, there's the rub. I'm having great difficulty finding anything to go into the gimbal socket - I might just solder directly to the board if I can't find anything :cry:

Not sure why you are looking for the plug. both plugs -cables are included as per picture above its the pitch cable and imu cable.

Mine didn't come with the extra pitch cable :(

I've since identified it as the JST SH (1mm) type - hopefully I can move on now . .. ...

I have the 2nd half of the cable with the plug I dont use. Send me a pm and ill send it to you if you are interested

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers