Goodluckbuy 2-axis Gopro 3 brushless gimbal tutorial/review

Re: Goodluckbuy 2-axis Gopro 3 brushless gimbal tutorial/rev

@Cameraguy
for manual pitch you need to solder a servo wire to A1 and GND such as in this picture
8809655024_9dd7d134fe_z.jpg

@Sac D
to increase the pitch more than 45 degrees hook the gimbal up and using the blg-tool.exe file, adjust the RC min and max on the pitch tab. here is what my settings look like
9353221101_408c80b3d5_z.jpg

windcharger said:
Sac D
to increase the pitch more than 45 degrees hook the gimbal up and using the blg-tool.exe file, adjust the RC min and max on the pitch tab. here is what my settings look like

I've beaten that GUI to death the last couple of days! I think I even had the -90,90,0 at one point, too!
But it just doesn't want to do that range while maintaining a normal behavior in its primary mission.
I'll hit the numbers again tomorrow, and give your values a closer look.

Thanks

windcharger said:
@Cameraguy
for manual pitch you need to solder a servo wire to A1 and GND such as in this picture
8809655024_9dd7d134fe_z.jpg

That's great !!! thanks.

What battery do you recommend, or can I use the aux power from the Phantom to power the gimbal?

D

Cameraguy, read the first page of this thread. Windcharger made a very detailed description what he has done to make it work...

CameraGuy said:
What battery do you recommend, or can I use the aux power from the Phantom to power the gimbal?

D

I recommend using the Aux power just to keep the weight down

Sac D said:
windcharger said:
Sac D

I've beaten that GUI to death the last couple of days! I think I even had the -90,90,0 at one point, too!
But it just doesn't want to do that range while maintaining a normal behavior in its primary mission.
I'll hit the numbers again tomorrow, and give your values a closer look.

Thanks

what firmware are you using? I think mine is at 0.49B_r161? I recall that I had issues with a pure pitch down on one of the older firmwares, but after upgrading to 0.49 firmwares it worked well

I'm on 49B_r161. I'm gonna give it a rest for a while and then come back to it. Right now everything is silky smooth, so I am somewhat reluctant to mess with it, even though I'm only able to make it tilt about 60 degrees.

http://youtu.be/ZIIJjOCiGSI

I installed the Gimbal today. Here is a test I did in the office. What do you think.

I do need to read more of this thread, but I have yet to connect it to the computer, or do any tweaking.

There is a high pitched squeal, which I believe has been reported before.

Also, has anyone found a decent way to extend the legs, cause this puppy is below the legs by at least 1.5 inches. I tried a pool noodle, but it is too close to the gimbal.

I powered it using a battery, but I really feel it would work fine connected to the auxiliary power from the Phantom.

Comments, help and suggestions are always welcomed!

Darren

CameraGuy said:
http://youtu.be/ZIIJjOCiGSI

I installed the Gimbal today. Here is a test I did in the office. What do you think.

I do need to read more of this thread, but I have yet to connect it to the computer, or do any tweaking.

There is a high pitched squeal, which I believe has been reported before.

Also, has anyone found a decent way to extend the legs, cause this puppy is below the legs by at least 1.5 inches. I tried a pool noodle, but it is too close to the gimbal.

I powered it using a battery, but I really feel it would work fine connected to the auxiliary power from the Phantom.

Comments, help and suggestions are always welcomed!

Darren

everything always looks great on the ground, your videos will be a different matter once the phantom is in the air.
as for extending the legs, you can either pickup the leg extensions from simensays at http://www.shapeways.com/model/1019077/dji-phantom-landing-gear-v2.html
or use something along these lines http://www.amazon.com/Phantomount-Phantom-Landing-Strut-Extension/dp/B00D98TODY

send me a PM if your interested in the phantomount phantom extension, I have a set and am willing to part with them for cheap.

http://youtu.be/lLhGdyeVI-k

This is the first flight. The video says it all. There is a mistake with the filter not being on tight enough, but otherwise, I am so impressed.

I could do some tweaking, but right now, I'm just happy to use it as it is right this minute.

Comments, suggestions -

I'm going to be a busy boy this weekend with flights all over the place planned. Finally, this is marketable to my customers - oh, I mean I can now give this away to my friends. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still need leg extenders. Hope my PM worked.

Darren

guys - i apoligize but i am really struggling :(

I have tried to upload firmware using the _048 gui, and the arduino tool, which was the only one that seemed to work uploading - but the gimbal is now in a sort of 'hard locked' mode when powered on.

can someone give me some guidance on getting the firware loaded and at least tested?

I am at the point I'd pay someone a few bucks to call me and walk me through a bit of this -

anyone take pity on me?

I wonder if these current gimbals coming from china are flashed with the hacked Alexmos firmware as opposed to the Open Source Firmware they used to come with. Anyone purchase a chinese gimbal recently and can confirm if it had the alexmos or open source firmware?
If thats the case, I would assume it would be possible to reflash the board back to the open source firmware using the arduino tool.

yes, I can confirm this.
At least this specific carbon fiber gimbal from goodluckbuy (or similar ebay sellers) is flashed with a hacked version of the SimpleBGC (AlexMos) firmware.
Hence the "wrong" sensor placement. SimpleBGC software requires the sensor to placed differently to the BruGi firmware.

Which version of this "nulled" firmware is flashed on the boards is unknown, you can only find out if you try through the GUI software to see which ones work- As far a I know the nulled firmware versions available are 1.2b, 1.3b1 and 2.0b3.

and yes, it is possible to flash the board with the open source BruGi Firmware, but you need to change the sensor orientation.
From my research the SimpleBGC firmware seems to be superior to the BruGi firmware, but it is a "hacked" version so its your ethical choice which way you go.

guys - i just want this thing to WORK.

i dont understand the ethical ins and outs but if you are implying the software that might make it work is pirated... i woud like to prove it and then demand a refund so i can get a working one...

really bummed that it worked (sorta) out of the box for minutes and then after just did crazy stuff when i tried what i thought was the open source solution to these things

this video shows the current behaviour : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6wkVFSnXuo

any guesses as to what to do next?

check the positon of your IMU sensor. for the open source firmware which it looks like you are using, the IMU should be placed so the X-axis is facing forward, components facing down.

*after watching your video I noticed the IMU sensor in the wrong position @1:12, check the first page of this thread. I remember mentioning that I had to fix the position of the IMU in order for the gimbal to work right

hi - ok i will try this - i have some info from the seller:

they sent me the following link and told me to try the instructions therein -
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/images/detai ... %2098390(3).pdf

they say they use the russian software for the V3 board.

the software just says i have a wrong version for the board since i've flashed it many times. I have no idea then which version of any software to flash my board with - how do i get the version they want on to my device? I feel like i get a step ahead and 2 back...

thanks for sticking with me here guys - hope you have a comment on this stuff.

thanks!

just tried changing the position of the sensor a few different ways - but same result as in my video with the 048 firmware flash - that rigid behaviour where it has hard stops - goes loose if i flash the eeprom empty or unplug power - no idea what i need to do :(

Try version 46. I think ithis version worked for me a some point. And check the first page of this thrwad for the IMU placement.
Now i do have V2 of the simplebgc ("russian") firmware running and its works nicely. It just has this high pitch noise squeeking away the whole time. Not sure if this is normal though. But the motors dont get hot so i guess its ok

Stubbz said:
Try version 46. I think ithis version worked for me a some point. And check the first page of this thrwad for the IMU placement.
Now i do have V2 of the simplebgc ("russian") firmware running and its works nicely. It just has this high pitch noise squeeking away the whole time. Not sure if this is normal though. But the motors dont get hot so i guess its ok

i will try and report back as soon as i can - if i wanted to run that same version you were - which is sorta of how it behaved out of the box - where would i get the firmware? I can't find it?

Cheers! thanks you guys - saving my bacon!

fingers crossed - just need about 40 free hours to mess around with this thing

so 046 is a bust :(

I have the orientation matching the photos in the first post in this thread - it's vibrating... still mostly loose but vibrating..

not leveling though - only due to balance which i tried to get perfect..

how can i get the intended BCG firmware on this? The arduino tool seems to only let me flash with the .ino files...

the only thing i can find is a .hex file for the BCG firmware... sorry to be a pain guys - keep feeding me info you're my lifeline! lol

also - regardless of firmware version - it never shows anything on the graphs... just flat lines when i 'start' the tracking... is tehre a chance i have a dud here?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers