Good techniques to learn

Reaction score
Hi

I'm interested to know what are good techniques to learn for a new flyer.

Currently I have a pre and post flight checklist that I go through. I have done close to 20 flights all in beginner mode.

I have been practicing flying to a specific point in an open field, I'm working on slowly flying in a circle and keeping myself oriented properly.

A lot of the tips I'm finding online are more related towards the camera angles, etc

What you are doing is the right thing. Keep up flying patterns while keeping your orientation and flight level until you feel confident. I'm quite certain you are ready to exit beginner mode after 20 flights.Just thrust the bird and train flying FPV at higher altitudes and longer range for each time. She is not gonna fly away. When you feel you can master the bird, let her loose to learn when RTH kicks in. It may be scary the first time, but the sooner you learn her limits, the better. It will make you a lot more confident and relaxed when you know you can thrust the RTH technology and safety features. Also, alot of people keep practicing at low altitudes as it feels more safe then flying way up there. It isn't! You will end up crashing in a three or house before you know. Height is your friend, just remember to follow the regulations for max. altitude at your location. Happy flying!

What you are doing is the right thing. Keep up flying patterns while keeping your orientation and flight level until you feel confident. I'm quite certain you are ready to exit beginner mode after 20 flights.Just thrust the bird and train flying FPV at higher altitudes and longer range for each time. She is not gonna fly away. When you feel you can master the bird, let her loose to learn when RTH kicks in. It may be scary the first time, but the sooner you learn her limits, the better. It will make you a lot more confident and relaxed when you know you can thrust the RTH technology and safety features. Also, alot of people keep practicing at low altitudes as it feels more safe then flying way up there. It isn't! You will end up crashing in a three or house before you know. Height is your friend, just remember to follow the regulations for max. altitude at your location. Happy flying!

Thanks. I have tried the rth on my maiden flight out on the beach and it worked well (was 10m out from the home point) - was slightly terrifying since my rth height was 30m and I was hovering around 10m. It shot up but I remained calm and trusted it.

I have found that even with a good signal the home point is not 100% accurate . I tried it at a nature reserve and landed close to 7m away from the take off point. Had it been 7m left instead of right then it would have fallen off a cliff. Since then I have been practicing manual landing.

I always check my surroundings and like to stay high up away from things. I was coming in and the drone was drifting towards a clothing line. My orientation was off so instead of trying to adjust as I got closer to the line I just pushed up higher and then found my bearings and then resumed landing

Reactions: Tommy Iversen
"alot of people keep practicing at low altitudes as it feels more safe then flying way up there. It isn't!"
^^^+1. "There is nothing more worthless than sky above you or runway behind you." Told to me by my friend and flying mentor Tom Oatman

Tobby

(snip)I have found that even with a good signal the home point is not 100% accurate . I tried it at a nature reserve and landed close to 7m away from the take off point. Had it been 7m left instead of right then it would have fallen off a cliff. Since then I have been practicing manual landing.

During RTH you can still use the right stick to adjust the exact landing spot. Sort of a combination of RTH auto-landing, and manual landing.

Reactions: shaun nadan
Keep practicing those maneuvers to help orientation. But i hate to say, the days of doing manual maneuvers are over. The 3 axis cameras are so stable that you can tell the difference between jerky stick movements and programmed flights. A drone videographer will notice these movements and it will make the difference pro and amateurish looking.

I still do manual flights, but rarely involve any yaw stick input.
I find simple minimalistic movements in videos the best.
Basic hovering - yes just hovering.
Hyper slow fwd or reverse.
Reveal shots are nice - where you slowly pan up or go from a large opening and fly backwards into a tight area to reveal more.
Use orbit mode to circle an object.

..."There is nothing more worthless than sky above you or runway behind you."...

That's a good, I like it. A hang glider told me once "only fly as high as you're willing to fall"

if I had to come up with my own drone quote it'd be... "fly higher, there's far less trees and buildings at 200ft"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1