Good tablet under sunlight

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Wondering if anyone has a good suggestion for a small tablet that works good under direct sunlight?

I found the tablet/phone hoods for the P3 not really that great, mostly due to the reflections of the sun on me when I try to use it.

The iPhone 6 plus is almost useless under direct sun. Tried to shoot a video today, gave up. Could not see anything at all on the screen.

Thanks

Sharky
Part 107 remote pilot certified
Phantom 3 Pro

Wondering if anyone has a good suggestion for a small tablet that works good under direct sunlight?
Unless you pay the big $$ for a crystalsky monitor, no screen works well in sunlight.
The best solution is to find a nice shady tree or something else to give you shadow to work in.

Hello everyone.

I found the tablet/phone hoods for the P3 not really that great, mostly due to the reflections of the sun on me when I try to use it.

The iPhone 6 plus is almost useless under direct sun. Tried to shoot a video today, gave up. Could not see anything at all on the screen.

Thanks

Sharky
Phantom 3 Pro
Flysight 9" HD900 Smart Device

Same problem with mine. My solution was to go with VR Gear goggles and my iPhone 6S plus. No glare and it feels like you're up there with the quad.

I've tried that too and it definitely keeps the sun and glare off but I'll feel trapped in there. When I fly I like to look at my screen and look around me at my surroundings

I had to add an anti-glare screen to my Nvidia Shield, and use a deep sunshade. I have a Hoodman Aviator sunshade coming, which covers all 4 sides, instead of just 3. With the extension on it, I would imagine you wouldn't need the anti-glare screen. I'll get it tomorrow and try it Friday. They also make one for the iPhone 6 I believe.

On the other hand, I use my iPhone 7 with no sunshade and it works great...

Hello everyone.

Thanks

Sharky
Phantom 3 Pro

I'm happy to report I've found a great solution to this. I too could never see the screen and shot video in the blind so to speak. Here is my solution:
I bought an inexpensive VR goggle removed the front and gutted the inside. Now, when you wear them you are looking staight through. When you want to look at the phone dip your head close to the screen. It works great and if the sun is in your face hold the phone right up against the goggles. It works extremely well....far better than the MANY sunshades I've bought. Let me know if you give it a try.

About the goggles, being legal. News on that:
Now it looks like the FAA is considering a change to its strict rule that drones only be operated within line of sight of their pilots. First-person-view piloting, where the drone pilot sees what the drone sees as it flies, might be a feasible alternative to line-of-sight flying. That is, if future goggles can give drone pilots better midair situational awareness.
The FAA's proposed technical solution for drones is "sense and avoid," an elaborate and unclear proposed system that has drones inform other aircraft of where they are and automatically steer clear.

Hobbyists have countered that drones piloted through first-person-view headsets bring some of that situational awareness back into play. Jim Williams, manager of Unmanned Aircraft Systems for the FAA, told Gizmodo that future goggles, ones with greater peripheral vision, could work, as they’d provide a more cockpit-esque view for drone pilots.

Approving first-person-view alone wouldn’t be enough for purely automated delivery services, but it would be a great improvement over the current environment, where that’s simply impossible. Letting pilots steer aircraft remotely, without being physically near the drones themselves, would open more tasks to drones and drone operators.
Source: Popular Science: FAA Cautiously Suggests Relaxed 'Line-Of-Sight' Rules For Drones

I'm happy to report I've found a great solution to this. I too could never see the screen and shot video in the blind so to speak. Here is my solution:
I bought an inexpensive VR goggle removed the front and gutted the inside. Now, when you wear them you are looking staight through. When you want to look at the phone dip your head close to the screen. It works great and if the sun is in your face hold the phone right up against the goggles. It works extremely well....far better than the MANY sunshades I've bought. Let me know if you give it a try.
this seems like a great idea. do you still use this solution? any refinements?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20