Good Location To Fly?

Reaction score
I'll be in Cleveland next week visiting family. I'd like to film some of the ships/boats on the Cuyahoga River ("the gritty part") as my wife calls it. Specifically I'm thinking about up and down river from the Collision Bend area (shown here).

I'd like to get opinions on any problems I may run into. As you can see from the satellite view, this is a heavily industrialized area with who knows what left behind and (somewhat down river) large piles of steel making stuff (iron ore, I assume?). I'm worried about potential interference with the compass. Any thoughts on this? Laws and common sense aside, is it safe to fly close to this kind of thing (let's say within 100' to throw out a number).

This area is also down in a bit of a 75-100' valley but it is fairly wide open. My brother-in-law scouted around for me and found that his handheld GPS was able to get 14-17 satellites in the entire area. So, I'm not worried about that.

As an aside - if you are ever in the area, bypass some of the typical tourist stuff (Rock Hall) and spend an afternoon hanging around Collision Bend. Watching a 700' freighter navigate this turns is a treat. A six-pack, lunch and some music is a great way to pass the afternoon.

I'm worried about potential interference with the compass. Any thoughts on this?
You should be fine if your Phantom is 10+ feet away from all metal objects.

Just be sure to calibrate your compass some place AWAY from all that steel. I would then want to do a test flight.

Just be sure to calibrate your compass some place AWAY from all that steel.
Better yet -- don't attempt to calibrate the compass in a location like that.

Chances are you wont be able to launch. That's right by cavs stadium and the baseball field... Last time I went up I had issues (I'm from the area)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

d6f3a5cfa5abb3abe18e5394cdc32d2a.jpg

9b2c79179ecf2bc79e98bd74b1631a3b.jpg

Don't worry so much about the light purples it's the pink/red that's the issue

Chances are you wont be able to launch. That's right by cavs stadium and the baseball field... Last time I went up I had issues (I'm from the area)

I think I'll be OK. If needed I'll just go south down river (or is it north? **** twistie river) a ways and go from there. I've found the NFZ launch restrictions to be pretty dodgy. As an example, I took off from a parking lot within spitting distance of O'Hare (just an experiment folks, the flight reached maybe 20' and last 30 seconds) and also was able to do the same when a TFR was in place for a Cardinals game. We'll see, no plans to go down there during an Indians or Cavaliers game.

Better yet -- don't attempt to calibrate the compass in a location like that.

Right. I'm a recent convert from the "calibrate early and often camp". I'll calibrate everything properly when we arrive in town and won't recalibrate again until we get home.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

ill be interested to hear your success. I haven't tried to relaunch in that area after my last failed attempt

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic