Good FPV Setup?

Reaction score
Hi all, brand new to FPV and flying, and looking to pick up a new Phantom 2 w/ H3-3D and a solid setup. I've been doing a lot of research and the below seems like a good deal to drop in on that won't require any soldering (fingers crossed).

ImmersionRC 5.8GHz 600mw Tx (SMA)
Black Pearl 7" Monitor with Diversity Receiver (SMA) +battery and wall power supply
DJI iOSD Mini
IBCrazy 5.8 GHz Bluebeam Ultra Antenna Set (one for Rx, one for Tx)
Plug and Play Cable: Phantom 2 to iOSD Mini (from firstpersonview.com)

Does that sound reasonable, or am I missing anything or running into any compatibilities? My biggest question mark is the antennas... are the IBCrazy Bluebeams worth it? Also, if I use one of the Bluebeams for the Rx and one for the Tx, should I keep the stock Black Pearl antenna on the other Rx, or is there another Rx antenna that would create a better combo with the one Bluebeam? I heard mention a 5.8GHz IBCrazy Bluebeam + IBCrazy 9.5dbic Helical would be a good combo?

Would appreciate any thoughts, much thanks!

are you trying to avoid soldering? if you're willing to make 4 little solders I have a really sweet guide for mounting the iOSD internally in the shell and using the gimbal's video feed. the video is for a H3-2D but the only different is the physical mount of the H3-3D which doesn't apply to the iOSD and video feed parts.
but assuming you mean this cable that should work with no soldering needed.

I still think you should check out the video which will show you how to move the CAN-BUS connector from the leg of the Phantom up into the body and put the iOSD mini up there. There are holes at every leg to run cables from inside the body out like to the transmitter so it's tidy.

antennas are super important. I can't speak to the quality of the ones you mention specifically but antennas is an area you don't want to skimp on. Most people will say you want to put a nice pinwheel on the transmitter, and then on the receiver indeed if you're trying to be thorough you want a circular helix antenna which is directional (needs to be pointed at the phantom) but has better range, and then back that up with an additional pinwheel for omnidirectional. Diversity means the screen will show the signal from whichever antenna has better reception at any given time.
You can possibly save a bit of money by getting a nice antenna kit for example this kit at fpvlr.com is popular around here

I'm definitely trying to avoid soldering, but yes, I'd be getting the firstpersonview cable and so should be able to avoid that. Thanks for the video though, took a look and I'll definitely set things up the iOSD that way. Looks nice and compact!

That definitely makes sense with the antenna. I've been unsure about what kind of antenna is what. Is cloverleaf synonymous with pinwheel? If that were the case, it seems like I could use the Bluebeam Ultras on Rx and Tx. I haven't been able to get much clarity on exactly what official kind of antenna those are, but they are omnidirectional. So maybe pair those with a circular helix antenna on the other Rx? Something like this setup:

http://www.getfpv.com/ibcrazy-5-8-ghz-b ... a-set.html
http://www.getfpv.com/circular-wireless ... tenna.html

This looks quite like the kit you mentioned, which might be the way to go as its tried and true? I'd be really interested to hear anyone's thoughts on the effectiveness of that kit, as well as the potential for the above!

Thanks.

My research also pointed me the same directions as far a equipment.
DId you buy yours?
If so, is it working nicely?

GM - does that require another cable for GOPRO output? or is the one pictured all that is needed?

From the kit above all that is needed is just a mount for the screen right? (unless cable Q above)

GhostMaster said:
My FPV setup that i use and is proved to be good and not expensive, and the best is that is very clean no batteries fixed outside, wires, etc.
Video Tx to install on the phantom:
Boscam TS353 400mw: http://j.mp/1gJ6t7s
LCD with Receiver and battery:
Boscam 7" RX-LCD5802 5.8GHz Diversity Receiver: http://j.mp/1lZuham
LCD Battery Charger: http://j.mp/1h3CreQ

dec said:
GM - does that require another cable for GOPRO output? or is the one pictured all that is needed?

From the kit above all that is needed is just a mount for the screen right? (unless cable Q above)

GhostMaster's post isn't a "kit" per se, and I don't see a pictured GoPro cable? Let me see if I can help:
first off, are you still planning on putting in an iOSD Mini?
with the 3 pieces listed by GM (Boscam TX, Boscam RX, and charger) I still see you needing the following items:
-RC mount for the display: admins here that I trust recommend this one
-antennas. antennas are a major factor in performance and the stock antennas that come with these devices are crap. I have and many people here suggest this kit from FPVLR
-the knowledge and ability to do some soldering.
-neck strap (don't underestimate this. adding a 7" LCD display to your remote control makes it heavy, your wrists will get tired)

With a Boscam Tx (like the TS353 he links) there are no pre-made cables I'm aware of to keep you from having to solder (there is with an ImmersionRC 600mW Tx and iOSD Mini). You'll have to make 4 easy solders between the 2-pair colored cable that is (was originally) hanging down the leg of your Phantom, and the cables that come with the TS353. \
The Phantomyellow/brown pair is video (yellow) and video ground (brown) that will have to be patched to the video in and video-in-ground going to your TS353.
Then you'll have to patch the Phantom red/brown pair to the power-in and power-ground of the TS353 (red = power, brown = ground)
again what I just described is if you are NOT installing an iOSD Mini, and patching those cables straight into the TS353.

If you ARE installing an iOSD Mini, I suggest you watch this youtube video. It shows how to install things for a clean, internal, no-cables install that GM mentions. it's not a 1:1 for exactly what you're doing, but it's basically the same as long as you understand where exactly to patch those 2 colored pairs. We can dig deeper into this if you are indeed installing an iosdmini

Like I said before, there IS a cable if you're installing an ImmersionRC 600mW and iOSD mini which connects everything with no soldering needed. The trick with the IRC 600mW is people say it doesn't work well with the Boscam RX-LCD5802, so that's why people going that route have to spend more money on the Black Pearl receiver which supposedly does work well. I say supposedly a lot here because I haven't experienced it personally, just picked it up from my participation on this site.. I get around a fair bit especially here in the FPV forum.

So your choice between ImmersionRC and Boscam is, if you don't mind 4 little solders as demonstrated in my linked video, you can save a bit of money, I'd estimate around $100 by going the Boscam route (iOSD mini doesn't count). If you DON'T want to solder and don't mind spending more money (and are installing iOSD mini), the ImmersionRC setup with the pre-made cable is easier.. no solders.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20