Good description of which filter to use when please ...

Reaction score
I have recently bought a set of 4 filters for the camera lens ...

ND 4, ND 8, CPL Polorising Lens

Would someone like to detail which each is best designed for in terms of lighting / environment conditions ?

Nigel

IMG_1481475001.970704.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Tks

With respect to the ND (neutral density) filters, they reduce the light intensity admitted to the imaging system providing a means to get your shutter speed at or close to the frame rate in use. The result being the nasty jello effect often encountered with shutter speed being significantly above frame rate is eliminated. The recommended use applications in the table posted above seem, with respect to ND filters, to assume a frame rate of 60FPS. If shooting at 24 FPS simply use the ND8 where you would use ND4.

The polariser will remove reflections and increase apparent colour saturation in bright conditions. Be careful if you have large expanses of sky in the frame as the wide FOV of the lens can reveal significant difference in brightness and colour intensity across the sky and usually isn't pleasing (looks off).

To add to what With the Birds said. Since the current Phantoms are a fixed focal length, the only way to control exposure is with the shutter speed or ISO. The generally accepted convention for video shootings is to use a shutter speed that is twice the frame rate. This provides natural, expected motion blur that everyone expects to see. Using a high shutter speed appears unnatural, and harsh. Ok back to the ND Filters. The chart you provided lists the amount of stops each filter provides. If you have a shutter speed of 500 and you want a shutter speed of 250 you would use a filter that provides 1 stop. Most video in the US is shot @ 30FPS so we would like a shutter speed around 1/60 of a second. I believe that DJI GO just calls this 60. So, until you get a feel for the current conditions, you would take an average measurement without a filter and note the Shutter speed (keeping the ISO @ 100) For example if the shutter speed is 500 you would need 3 stops. 500,-250 is 1 stop, 250-125 is 1 stop 125 -62.5 is one stop. you would use an ND8. Also remember to shoot in Manual mode. I hope this helps.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj