Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Good cheap starter FPV toy quad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Josh Curtiss, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Josh Curtiss

So I know this is the "Phantom Pilots" forum... Hence posting this in "General Discussion"... Any opinions on a good and cheap starter quad for doing some FPV just for fun? I'm thinking sub-$100 but interested in the advantages of a toy that is $100+.

Just looking for something that'll give me FPV for zipping around for fun. The way I would fly around a toy drone that can bounce off a tree and keep going is very different than I'll fly my P3P.

I've researched the Syma X5SW... The JXD 509G... How about those? Others?

Josh

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

A lot of the cheap drones don't fly like a Phantom. I often see people recommending the Blade Nano QX (or the FPV version) -- if you're looking for something that's more similar.

3. Josh Curtiss

Oh sure, my expectations will match my pocketbook output accordingly. It's partly for my nephews for whom I bought some cheap toy quads a year and a half ago, then I bought my P2V+ and P3P but won't let them touch those! Figured this would be a fun next iterative step, and would enjoy it myself too.

The Blade Nano QX seems like the best for toy quads but seems a bit expensive. Even at $149 the QX needs a transmitter and screen to complete the setup.

The 2 I mentioned above are ready to go with FPV at sub-$100. Pretty hard to believe, and I know it'll be toy quality but just wondering if anyone has played with them and what you think.

Thanks for the response msinger.

Josh

4. rcheing

I definitely learned that a lot of drones don't fly like a Phantom. My first quad was an Propel Altitude 2.0 and I couldn't even take off without going sideways and crashing. I was afraid that all drones flew this way. I did some research and saw Youtube videos of people flying their P3's effortlessly. I returned the Propel the same day I purchased it and a week later I purchased my P3P. I haven't looked back since, what a world of difference!

5. gklugie

Syma X8C.
    It is a bit larger (about the size of a phantom) than most toy drones. It has a camera, and a large battery.
    Ebay $70 range