Good cheap starter FPV toy quad?

Reaction score
So I know this is the "Phantom Pilots" forum... [emoji6] Hence posting this in "General Discussion"... Any opinions on a good and cheap starter quad for doing some FPV just for fun? I'm thinking sub-$100 but interested in the advantages of a toy that is $100+.

Just looking for something that'll give me FPV for zipping around for fun. The way I would fly around a toy drone that can bounce off a tree and keep going is very different than I'll fly my P3P. [emoji6]

I've researched the Syma X5SW... The JXD 509G... How about those? Others?

Josh

A lot of the cheap drones don't fly like a Phantom. I often see people recommending the Blade Nano QX (or the FPV version) -- if you're looking for something that's more similar.

Oh sure, my expectations will match my pocketbook output accordingly. It's partly for my nephews for whom I bought some cheap toy quads a year and a half ago, then I bought my P2V+ and P3P but won't let them touch those! [emoji6] Figured this would be a fun next iterative step, and would enjoy it myself too.

The Blade Nano QX seems like the best for toy quads but seems a bit expensive. Even at $149 the QX needs a transmitter and screen to complete the setup. [emoji53]

The 2 I mentioned above are ready to go with FPV at sub-$100. Pretty hard to believe, and I know it'll be toy quality but just wondering if anyone has played with them and what you think.

Thanks for the response msinger.

Josh

A lot of the cheap drones don't fly like a Phantom. I often see people recommending the Blade Nano QX (or the FPV version) -- if you're looking for something that's more similar.
I definitely learned that a lot of drones don't fly like a Phantom. My first quad was an Propel Altitude 2.0 and I couldn't even take off without going sideways and crashing. I was afraid that all drones flew this way. I did some research and saw Youtube videos of people flying their P3's effortlessly. I returned the Propel the same day I purchased it and a week later I purchased my P3P. I haven't looked back since, what a world of difference!

Syma X8C.
It is a bit larger (about the size of a phantom) than most toy drones. It has a camera, and a large battery.
Ebay $70 range

Syma X8C.
It is a bit larger (about the size of a phantom) than most toy drones. It has a camera, and a large battery.
Ebay $70 range
+1 on the Syma. If you get the 'X8HW' version, it has wifi fpv and altitude hold. Similar to flying the Phantom in 'atti' mode. Got one for my grandson and it works well, links to his smart phone.

Reactions: WillZX14R
So I know this is the "Phantom Pilots" forum... [emoji6] Hence posting this in "General Discussion"... Any opinions on a good and cheap starter quad for doing some FPV just for fun? I'm thinking sub-$100 but interested in the advantages of a toy that is $100+.

Just looking for something that'll give me FPV for zipping around for fun. The way I would fly around a toy drone that can bounce off a tree and keep going is very different than I'll fly my P3P. [emoji6]

I've researched the Syma X5SW... The JXD 509G... How about those? Others?

Josh

Look on eBay for a Phantom 1 or 2. I have both, and they are really nice and fly well. I went the toy route and it was frustrating, and a waste of money.
Terry

Reactions: Erised
Look on eBay for a Phantom 1 or 2. I have both, and they are really nice and fly well. I went the toy route and it was frustrating, and a waste of money.
Terry
I would go for and older Phantom, I started with a Syma X5 and it was fun but flight time sucked as you can only stay up about 5 to 6 minutes.

+1 on the Syma. If you get the 'X8HW' version, it has wifi fpv and altitude hold. Similar to flying the Phantom in 'atti' mode. Got one for my grandson and it works well, links to his smart phone.

+1 on this one. My Uncle has it and he let me fly it. Very impressive for a $100ish quad.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4