Good $50-ish quadcopter for 12 year old?

Reaction score
My boys are interested in flying my Phantom...I'd like to get them small, reliable indoor/outdoor quads for Christmas.

A search of Amazon lists quite a collection of 4-star or better rated quads in the sub-$50 range.

I'm just wondering if any of you have purchased and recommend one?

jthorstad said:
My boys are interested in flying my Phantom...I'd like to get them small, reliable indoor/outdoor quads for Christmas.

A search of Amazon lists quite a collection of 4-star or better rated quads in the sub-$50 range.

I'm just wondering if any of you have purchased and recommend one?

This was my first trainer, and it still works great after too many crashes to count. Spare parts are available, and MassiveRC has been very good to deal with in the US. It shows as out of stock, but they usually get them in regularly. They specialize in mini quads.

http://www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/en/25-v202.html

I got my 7 yo an air hogs helix x4. Protected props and great for indoor. My 2 yo even swats at it and I don't worry about her getting hurt. **** near indestructible.

As for me, I trained on the Syma X1 for quite a while before getting a Phantom. The great thing is that you can toggle the controller between mode 1 and mode 2 with the push of a button.

myvrodrocks said:
Also check out the Hubsan X4.

I have an X4 and it's great. Very durable but parts are easy to find.
I've lost count of the times it's smashed in to walls, ceiling, furniture etc and it just keep on going.

I second the air hogs. I was at Marshall's yesterday and they had an air hog quad for $12.95. I'd check there.

I LOVE my Syma X-1. It is virtually indestructible and tons of fun to fly. It is a very competent flier I might add, both inside and out (in calm weather). $35 ish dollars on Amazon.

PF

rilot said:
myvrodrocks said:
Also check out the Hubsan X4.

I have an X4 and it's great. Very durable but parts are easy to find.
I've lost count of the times it's smashed in to walls, ceiling, furniture etc and it just keep on going.

I agree- I have had my x4 for over a week now and it took about 6 flights before I could make willful and responsive laps- I was unprepared for how slight the adjustments were to fly it- I am inexperienced and while this thing is forgiving in the durability factor- it is very sensitive to input, and knowing 12 yr olds, I have to wonder if attention span and initiative is matched to this specific offering?

I also should acknowledge that since I know little to nothing about other models, I could be speaking out of my *** and probably am... but I know kids; spent many years raising and working with them, and to be honest? ...am still one myself.

The Syma X-1 has a high and low setting so sensitivity to the sticks can be changed with a push of a button on the tx.

PF

I picked up a "proto-X" by estes today.

I have to say- it is about as smooth and easy to fly as anything I have ever seen.... and small? Holy shyte! So **** cute you could make a keychain out of it.

I ended up ordering a Syma X1 - on the truck for delivery today!

I almost want to cheat and let them open it early.

PhantomFan said:
The Syma X-1 has a high and low setting so sensitivity to the sticks can be changed with a push of a button on the tx.

PF
I have a different view, I own 2 syma X1s, they are junk, I gave both to my Son 38yo, unstable, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, we are both unhappy.

go for the Hubsan x4

Isn't the symax, traxxas, and hubsan all the same product under different names?

I have 2 Syma X1's I love it, it is a great little quad and indestructible. Once out of 20 turn ups it gets off balance at turn up but you just pull the batt and power up again. I am training my 10 yr old daughter with it. just ensure you lay it flat asap after battery hook up. They will love em. Hope you got extra batts

definitely Syma-X1. Impossible to break. I went up 20 meters once and wind flipped it over. It went down straight down and all what I was not able to do anything about it (except lowering the throttle). It hit the ground (grass). I've picked it up, pushed back battery to the slot and was able to fly again with no issues. Amazing how good it is.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj