Golf Course Virtual Tour

Reaction score
Filmed a golf course virtual tour with my P4 yesterday, what do you guys think? I filmed the entire thing with Litchi waypoints pre-programmed and orbit with Litchi around the greens.

The things I learned:
- Should have made it where the waypoints shouldn't have stopped, should have made it where they kept going.
- Should have filmed the greens at orbit of the lowest setting of 16' so you could see some more detail/slope of the greens.
- Should get a polarizer or filter as the exposure was really bad on some with the lighting.

Let me know any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:
all of your suggestions are the ones I would look into for the next vid. I like it, but some subtle areas for improvement. I would fly manual and fly with the 'grain' of the fairway the way the lawn is mowed. Perhaps lower (I'd test). Another concept... hover over the entire hole and get a 150 meter high view of the entire length including the green, then do a flyby at a slightly lower (never stopping) flyby.

I have also attempted golf course flight. I also used Litchi and learned the following:
  • Always check altitude from ground on Google Earth first (almost hit ground in one shot because of hills and valleys)
  • Fly at fairly fast pace at course and don't attempt to speed up in post editing (birds and carts just don't look natural in the shots at time mapped speed).
  • Allow for enough time to allow for golfers to clear off hole, etc...

I think your doing great for your first attempt man. Your camera angle is pitched down too much imo. Altitude was much better on hole #2 but I would bring it down even more and pitch the camera up a bit. Show a little bit more sky and the angle won't feel crowded and down so much. I just finished our local golf course last month. It was my first as well. It is a challenge especially with as much slope as we have on our course. We have elevation changes of over 70ft. Litchi worked fine on a few holes for me. But there was so much change in elevation on several holes that I had to just fly them manual and follow in a golf cart. In fact, I kind of preferred doing it manual after a while. It was very hard to set and guess the diff altitudes throughout each hole. Certainly wish that Litchi would start building in altitude from ground instead of takeoff alt. to their waypoints. I hate to use DJI for this because it would take twice the battery to fly it to plot each point and then come back to film it with another pass. Def use ND to get your shutter speed where you want it for glassy smooth look. Prob a ND16 or 32 to get you to 60th of a second or so on your shutter. Double your frame rate is what you want. Flying them manually is def more challenging but you can do it. Practice on super smooth yawing your bird when the hole doglegs or turns. You can set your exp settings to change the sensitivity of your left stick which is yaw. 20ft or lower seems to be a pretty good altitude I'm thinking. The challenge is to maintain that throughout the hole. Here is a little diff perspective of a Pete Dye Course I got to shoot a couple of times. More of a higher pretty view instead of documentary of each hole. 2nd vid is of our hole that changes 70 right off the tee. I'm way too high for most of the hole.

Last edited:
Filmed a golf course virtual tour with my P4 yesterday, what do you guys think? I filmed the entire thing with Litchi waypoints pre-programmed and orbit with Litchi around the greens.

The things I learned:
- Should have made it where the waypoints shouldn't have stopped, should have made it where they kept going.
- Should have filmed the greens at orbit of the lowest setting of 16' so you could see some more detail/slope of the greens.
- Should get a polarizer or filter as the exposure was really bad on some with the lighting.

Let me know any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Not sure why you think a polarizer would improve exposure. They do have about a 2 step neutral density value if that's what you're thinking, but in my experience (limited to SLR cameras) when used on wide angle lenses (which the Phantoms certainly have) they will cause very uneven blue skies. Plus, the polarizing effect works only at very limited angles where the sun and lens are aligned just so. On film cameras I found only very limited usefulness at best with wide angle lenses. Maybe somebody else has real world experience using them on Phantoms. HTH.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Interesting comment about flying with elevation issues on the golf course.
I'm in need of mapping the elevation of a area of about 600 Acres remotely. amongst things I'm wanting to chart the elevation and contours. Are you saying that Litchi cannot do this? Are the any other apps that can, I'll be using P4. Any help will be appreciated. Thks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

here's a concept: Have a guy tee up a ball, line up and hit it while you hover just behind him, just after he hits the ball, have him step backwards as you re-create the flight of the ball. Fly low to start, like 6-8 feet off the ground, then raise the drone up on the fairway increasing in altitude as you go, with a final decent onto the green, while craft-fully adjusting the pitch of the camera as you descend onto the green. This sort of mimics the flight of the perfect golf shot.

Just an idea, might be cool.

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback. Does anyone know if there is a way to program flight of say 100 feet and no matter what it would go with the elevation change?

Does anyone know what rates to charge the courses for and 18 hole flyover?? And what about a commercial for the golf course as well using a p4 pro and osmo to shoot the restaurant, gift shop, and other amenities. This will be my first golf course deal so I want to charge a fair price. The course is owned by the county. If anyone could show me a template of packages to offer you would help greatly. Everything has been finalized except these last steps and im stuck on how to close the deal. Thank you

I have no idea on what to charge but, here is a video I put together on my own of a local golf course. It's something to compare your work to....

Does anyone know what rates to charge the courses for and 18 hole flyover?? And what about a commercial for the golf course as well using a p4 pro and osmo to shoot the restaurant, gift shop, and other amenities. This will be my first golf course deal so I want to charge a fair price. The course is owned by the county. If anyone could show me a template of packages to offer you would help greatly. Everything has been finalized except these last steps and im stuck on how to close the deal. Thank you

Also interested in pricing...

How do you go about getting your first golf course gig without sample footage to show? Do you show them footage from other projects?

The 3 to 5K price is if you are shooting 4k I assume. I have a P3S, so do not shoot in 4k. So I would charge slightly less?

Interesting comment about flying with elevation issues on the golf course.
I'm in need of mapping the elevation of a area of about 600 Acres remotely. amongst things I'm wanting to chart the elevation and contours. Are you saying that Litchi cannot do this? Are the any other apps that can, I'll be using P4. Any help will be appreciated. Thks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Use Drone Deploy

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj