Gold ring on antenna board fell off while removing for mod; how do I know if these are ok?

Reaction score
So I just modded my controller for distance. Of course, you have to remove the old cables and insert new ones for the new wifi modules. In doing so, you have to remove the silicon from the ports. When I started to remove the silicon from the top port, I got a little overconfident and the the gold ring surrounding the pin on fell off board off. I would think that this would not affect the mod, as long as the pin is still in contact, and yes, the pin was still intact. Because of this, I am paranoid about the mod being ok or not. I completed the mod and went for a test run. I did not receive any errors when doing the test run. Am I just stressing for no reason, or just I pretty much screw myself?

that has to be connected how did you put it back on

that has to be connected how did you put it back on
Well what I left out is that when I connected the new cable to the port, the cable moved and the gold ring is stuck on the connector of the new cable. So yes, it did fall off, but, since the gold ring is stuck inside of the new cable, I put it back on like that. So did I mess things up? Also, when I did the test run, the video was a bit choppy at times.

how did you put the ring back on the board

how did you put the ring back on the board
232017o1iytr6va681dtet.jpg

The gold ring was stuck inside of that thing but the gold pin was still on the board. I just put in on like that.

so you got it to snap on

should find someone to solder it back on hot glue isn't really a answer for that problem

just the ring back to the board then snap in connector then hot glue over top of it

Does not need to be soldered. It snaps on.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Does not need to be soldered. It snaps on.

are you reading the thread he is talking about ring coming off read before you answer

Here is my school of thought on mods: When you do a mod, you want to make sure it is ROCK SOLID. Then and only then do you move on to the next mod. That's because if you do a inferior job on a mod somewhere in the middle of those mods, you'll never know for sure why you're losing signal.

You broke the male ufl part. This is a classic mistake of noobs doing mods. No offense. I did the same thing. The ring has broken off and nothing remains but the stem sticking up out of the board. Yes, you can jam the female ufl cable end back down onto the stem, and maybe you'll get it right and maybe it'll be okay, but weeks or months from now when you're having signal problems you will never be quite sure if the problem isn't from the broken male ufl part.

In summary, yeah you can "jerry-rig" it as they say, and it might be okay, but you might be happier replacing the board, the controller, or having the part professionally repaired.

Good luck!

Reactions: flpholt
are you reading the thread he is talking about ring coming off read before you answer
The ring coming off the board? Ok. Got it. Thought it was just the cable, because I knocked the connectors off my gimbal, not on the board. Thought it was the same

the ring

should find someone to solder it back on hot glue isn't really a answer for that problem
Yep, that connection will fail at some point. If you are not comfortable soldering the ring to the board, find someone with experience manually soldering surface mount components. It's not the easiest thing to do.
Cheers,
Shawn

To everyone saying that I should solder it back, I agree but the thing is that the ring is stuck inside of the male cable. I guess the next best thing would do you buy a new board and go from there. Any other ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you so much guys!

Here is my school of thought on mods: When you do a mod, you want to make sure it is ROCK SOLID. Then and only then do you move on to the next mod. That's because if you do a inferior job on a mod somewhere in the middle of those mods, you'll never know for sure why you're losing signal.

You broke the male ufl part. This is a classic mistake of noobs doing mods. No offense. I did the same thing. The ring has broken off and nothing remains but the stem sticking up out of the board. Yes, you can jam the female ufl cable end back down onto the stem, and maybe you'll get it right and maybe it'll be okay, but weeks or months from now when you're having signal problems you will never be quite sure if the problem isn't from the broken male ufl part.

In summary, yeah you can "jerry-rig" it as they say, and it might be okay, but you might be happier replacing the board, the controller, or having the part professionally repaired.

Good luck!
Seeing as you have made the same mistake before, what did you do to fix the issue?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31