Going to New Zealand on holiday

Reaction score
So I am going on holiday in a bout 6 months to New Zealand for 3 and a bit weeks and I'm really tempted to take my drone, I'm just wondering what the deal is with flying over there, I'm going to look over the rules etc but has anyone got experience from the country.
Thanks
Peter

If you search I think there are some posts on this .Sometimes it's hard to find/refine what you are after though.
The rules there seem pretty restrictive I gather possibly because they have so many low flying aircraft ie heli skiing / hunting sightseeing Ag operations etc
I'm sure someone from NZ will tell you .Still it's a fantastic place I think you will have a great time with or without your Phantom

I don't have any advice about drones.
But, when I went, I wish I had brought American catsup.
Fish and chips is a common meal down there.
They have catsup, but it is just tomato paste, lol.

The other thing that I wished I brought, was bug repellent. I couldn't find any for sale.
We made the local recipes for homemade repellent.
Ingredients included 2-stroke motor oil, baby oil and antiseptic.
The Sandflys were terrible.
When they bite, they only bite in a blood vein and itches for at least 2 weeks.
I got bit 1,000's of times, while camping and as a result, got sick.
This was on the south island.

Had a blast down there though, can't wait to return.

Last edited:
Sorry it's taken so long to reply work has been getting in the way of life.

Thanks for the replies, I'll have a hunt through the boards and see if I can find anything, I hadn't thought much about the low level flying, I'm hoping there won't Ben much skiing or hunting in March/April but we'll see.
Thanks for the heads up about the bugs, I'll invest in a Mosquito net and good repellent or do as you did and make some.
Should be fun even without the phantom (or possibly Mavic if it turns out to be any good lol)

I went down there Feb.- April, about 10 years ago.
It should be summertime down there, similar to summers in N. California or S. Oregon, but a little milder temps.

I wouldn't expect much skiing, but maybe on a glacier.

I know that non residents can pay to hunt, but it was out of my budget.
But to my surprise, I had no problem borrowing a 30-06 and a ..22 from the local farmers.
Invited to shoot all the pigs, goats and wild deer that I wanted.
Illegal, yes, but everybody is really laid back and didn't care.

I wanted to get a pig, but they moved through the underbrush so quickly, I could never get a shot off.
I had opportunities to get goat, but the ones I saw were just common, (wild), farm goats, naaa.
I didn't see any deer.
But I wasn't really hunting, I was gold mining.

No joke about the bugs, I had birds landing on my socks to eat the bugs that were eating me.
It's shorts and short sleeve weather most of the time, during Feb.-April.
A bug net might be useless. But something close to 100% DEET would be very handy.

When I went, I was lucky enough to be blessed with a jeep, boat, house, mining dredge and claims to use.
Super nice!

0871667-R1-042-19A.JPG
0871668-R1-024-10A.JPG

0871667-R1-048-22A.JPG

Last edited:
Ok so really good bug repellent is now top of my lift to get.
Don't think I'll be shooting anything, not a pastime that's too common here in the UK.
Those photos look great, it's making me look forward to going even more, we're getting a campervan for the majority of the trip and are going to spend a few days on north island before heading down to south for the remainder

Reactions: auen1
This is what we use in Alaska, there is nothing better on the market.
Almost 100% DEET.

BEN125SPR.jpg

So I am going on holiday in a bout 6 months to New Zealand for 3 and a bit weeks and I'm really tempted to take my drone, I'm just wondering what the deal is with flying over there, I'm going to look over the rules etc but has anyone got experience from the country.
Let me google that for you

Yes I have done that, but there is one thing between looking at the rules and actually doing something as there might be a very anti 'drone' attitude among the people.
Thanks for your reply however

Yes I have done that, but there is one thing between looking at the rules and actually doing something as there might be a very anti 'drone' attitude among the people.
Thanks for your reply however
I doubt anyone will give you any trouble.
Everyone I met was VERY, VERY cool.
Laid back people,
So cool down there!
When I was there, people and life were like I'd imagine it was in the 1950's.
Sure like to retire there.

Just remember change all your "e" s to "i"s thus Wendy becomes Windy for example and you'll blend in just fine .

I am traveling there in February and have done some research.
The CAA guys were helpful and friendly.
The airshare link will help a lot.
The CAA told me that I will be flying under the 101 rules. They are similar to our rules but don,t differentiate between hobby and commercial like in the US so are easier to fly by.

A.good resource with online drone maps and information
New Zealand Maps for Planning Drone Flights | airshare NZ hub for drones and UAVs

Their FAA - Contact Us

Having spent 6+ months in NZ myself, I would highly recommend bringing the drone. Regardless of where you'll be based there's great access to incredible scenery in rural areas, where restrictions on flying will be a little more lax. Auckland is the most populated area, but a quick hour outside of the city you'll find mountains/plains/beach/volcanoes or any other droneable sight you like.

Enjoy!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr