Going to Europe in September need information

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Mid September i will go to Europe. Frst one week in Germany, then 4 weeks in the South of France. I am planning to bring my P3P for this trip to do get some practice. I am flying into and out of Paris CDG and will have a rental car for the whole time.

In France I can see the TGV (high speed train) being something interesting in a hilly landscape where the tracks winding at large curves. Somewhere on the highway South there must also be a newer large bridge that might be worth some video.

Anyone has any experiences about the local regulations and the kind of acceptance or resistance I could expect flying my drone during a picknick stop in the countryside?
I will not even attempt anything in Paris, although I know how beautifully the city is, but I am sure that would be asking for trouble. I guess the same would be true for the nice medieval city fo Carcassonne... in the South?

Still, the Canal-du-midi should allow for some nice shots.

Also, if someone is in the Languedoc-Roussillon area the first 3 weeks of September I will be there as well (meetup?)

I am lookimg forward to some informative replies.

Hi! Here you have the regulations for France: http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/Effectuer-des-activites

Although it is in French, you might figure it out with Google Translate. If you are travelling to other European countries, you can find the links to regualtions here: http://flysafe.dji.com/#regulatory

Anyway, it is very restrictive and you might need to have a drone pilot license (not cheap) AND a special permit to fly in urban or semi-urban areas (not easy).

Good luck!

I'm French so if you need help, contact me. I know how are the French regulations and it's not easy if you are a stranger. Your drone needs some approval from the DGAC (French Regulation). And you need at last a microlight/ultra light theoretical flying licence.

With tons of papers, authorizations... You need to be professional with a real company's brand and have what they call a MAP... and then a DNC (it's like a Drone's licence).

When it's done, the police (Gendarmerie) will look, and check if your drone and papers/licences are ok.

It took me 2 months to get everything's okay...

If you don't have this, you can only fly on a small specific area... Flying wide empty area doesn't matter. You simply can't do it. If you have a control, you will lose your drone and have a big fine...

Last edited:
I'm French so if you need help, contact me. I know how are the French regulations and it's not easy if you are a stranger. Your drone needs some approval from the DGAC (French Regulation). And you need at last a microlight/ultra light theoretical flying licence.

With tons of papers, authorizations... You need to be professional with a real company's brand and have what they call a MAP... and then a DNC (it's like a Drone's licence).

When it's done, the police (Gendarmerie) will look, and check if your drone and papers/licences are ok.

It took me 2 months to get everything's okay...

Thank you for that info. Are these rules applied to hobbyist AND commercial operations? Many countries allow hobby/sport/non commercial flying while applying rules and regulations in case the multicopter is used commercially in any way.
Should this papertrail be neccessary even for recreational flying the Phantom will stay home.

Thank you for that info. Are these rules applied to hobbyist AND commercial operations? Many countries allow hobby/sport/non commercial flying while applying rules and regulations in case the multicopter is used commercially in any way.
Should this papertrail be neccessary even for recreational flying the Phantom will stay home.

With Phantom 3 you can't... You can use a drone for hobby without a camera... If you have a camera without any licence, you need to go on a specific area.

please read : (translated in English)
https://translate.google.fr/transla...ttp://www.droneshop.com/reglementation-drones

Thats to complicated , if i am going for vacation 15 or 20 days i have to spend it preparing for the documents that allow me to fly,?!?! You can go and fly it in an empty clear areas fas and not dangerous for others,

Or you can do this at your own risks. I use drones for many years now and I never been controlled... I was only controlled during the registration process of the Phantom 3.

Don't fly over people/animals and city and that should be enough I guess.

Reactions: omarkatwe
I'm going to be in France and Germany as well in September. Looks like France is out of the question, I was actually planning on flying near the Eiffel tower, but that sounds like a horrible idea now (although there are youtube videos of people doing it).

Did you find out anything about Germany? Sounds like the rules are similar to US

Hi everyone

Mid September i will go to Europe. Frst one week in Germany, then 4 weeks in the South of France. I am planning to bring my P3P for this trip to do get some practice. I am flying into and out of Paris CDG and will have a rental car for the whole time.

In France I can see the TGV (high speed train) being something interesting in a hilly landscape where the tracks winding at large curves. Somewhere on the highway South there must also be a newer large bridge that might be worth some video.

Anyone has any experiences about the local regulations and the kind of acceptance or resistance I could expect flying my drone during a picknick stop in the countryside?
I will not even attempt anything in Paris, although I know how beautifully the city is, but I am sure that would be asking for trouble. I guess the same would be true for the nice medieval city fo Carcassonne... in the South?

Still, the Canal-du-midi should allow for some nice shots.

Also, if someone is in the Languedoc-Roussillon area the first 3 weeks of September I will be there as well (meetup?)

I am lookimg forward to some informative replies.

I am also travelling to Europe in September and was hoping to bring my Phantom 3. I have a GoProfessional Backpack that I was going to take as a carry on with extra batteries (not fully charged), however it seems like the regulations will make it not worthwhile.

I will be in Lithuania, Latvia, and Norway during my trip. I'm really the most concerned about being able to fly in Norway, as we were planning on doing some hiking to some good views, etc. Anyone have any idea, seems like information is hard to come by.

I am also travelling to Europe in September and was hoping to bring my Phantom 3. I have a GoProfessional Backpack that I was going to take as a carry on with extra batteries (not fully charged), however it seems like the regulations will make it not worthwhile.

I will be in Lithuania, Latvia, and Norway during my trip. I'm really the most concerned about being able to fly in Norway, as we were planning on doing some hiking to some good views, etc. Anyone have any idea, seems like information is hard to come by.

I've read the Norwegian rules, both at the source and at http://www.riot.ch/en/legal-information-about-flying-multicopter-drones-commercial/

My conclusion is: for recreation non commercial flying/photographing you need no permits. However you may not share pictures of military installation.
Use your head and you'll be clear. Flying over people is a nono off course, as well as intruding into controlled airspaces.

This page http://3dairspace.org.uk/airspace.html lets you download KMZ-files that you open in Google earth and it visualizes the controlled airspace. Please take in account that these files may have errors or may be outdated.

Be aware of choppers, never seen so many as I have in norway!

Last edited:
I flew to Greece a few days ago and they didn't even check the drone bag. They did, however, bomb test my laptop.

I c many videos for drones on Barcelona, in the city - i am asking if that was legal or they just fly there with no permissions ?!?! Ill be in Barcelona after 24 hours i wanna know of i can fly over the Barcelona city with my p3p

Flying in Barcelona is absolutely illegal. The Spanish law forbids flying drones in urban areas unless one obtains the required permit. Also flying at the beach is illegal due to the large number of people.

If you want to fly in Spain you can do so with the same rules as in the US (that is, 400 feet and line of sight up to 500m). But it is also strictly forbidden to fly in urban areas and other places where there might be people.

So, basically in Spain you can fly in natural areas (national parks are ok for flying as far as know). Or maybe at the beach but in small towns where the risk of crashing over people is very limited.

I hope it helps

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic