Going The Distance.........

Reaction score
After going back to firmware 1.3.2 on my P3A it was actually usable so I did this to celebrate. In my mind this is the limit as far as the battery is concerned. I came back with it over my head at 11% battery and in a hurry landed and shut down at 10% battery. I was using a non-powered DBS Itelite Antenna.

XUtHirQ.jpg

You were very lucky to make it back on 46% battery. Nice Flight though!

Edit: Btw, how did you manage to make it back?

I tested head and tail winds beforehand with one battery.

Headwind I was getting ~22-24mph going out.
Tailwind I was getting ~40mph coming back.

Rough guesstimates I told myself I would turn around at 45% remaining battery or when I hit 4 miles. I hit 4 miles first then hauled my rear back.

Impressive... more impressive is the preflight logic to make it work. Very basic mathematics keeps these things in the air.

Hey guys, I only got 6000 feet with my DBS mod antenna then I started losing video and RC connection. I thought it was supposed to go double that distance, right?

Hey guys, I only got 6000 feet with my DBS mod antenna then I started losing video and RC connection. I thought it was supposed to go double that distance, right?
Have to make sure that you are on a clear channel-- not other traffic-- and have a good LOS.

Yes... I think basic RF rules still apply, even more importantly, quadratically possibly?, you need to be MORE in tune to decreased degrees you have to work with that far out.... plus your zone will hit the ground.. it's going to be larger. You need to have 65-70% of your zone without interference for best results... but going out that far? who knows.

Yes... I think basic RF rules still apply, even more importantly, quadratically possibly?, you need to be MORE in tune to decreased degrees you have to work with that far out.... plus your zone will hit the ground.. it's going to be larger. You need to have 65-70% of your zone without interference for best results... but going out that far? who knows.
That is the reason that a lot of these record breakers are over water off shore-- the water is a reflector for the signal and there are usually no obstructions or a lot of wifi and radio interference to deal with.

Reactions: AirMan
That is the reason that a lot of these record breakers are over water off shore-- the water is a reflector for the signal and there are usually no obstructions or a lot of wifi and radio interference to deal with.

I LOVE the water. Some think it is scary... but I say.. a drone dropping 400 feet to the ground is just as bad as dropping 400 feet to the water. It behaves like cladding inside fiber optics really... just keeps bouncing on down the line.

I LOVE the water. Some think it is scary... but I say.. a drone dropping 400 feet to the ground is just as bad as dropping 400 feet to the water. It behaves like cladding inside fiber optics really... just keeps bouncing on down the line.

All true, but I think intuitively we believe the quad will fall onto a soft meadow and the battery won't pop out so that it can still transmit its GPS position and we can find it again. In water it will have gone to the locker never to be seen again!

All true, but I think intuitively we believe the quad will fall onto a soft meadow and the battery won't pop out so that it can still transmit its GPS position and we can find it again. In water it will have gone to the locker never to be seen again!
Part of the excitement for some of us... We say goodbye to our friend each time.

So is it easy to go back to the previous firmware? The app and remote don't need anything right?

Sometimes you get it back from water.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: rowdyjim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers