Going Rates for Hiring Drone And Pilot

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, so my apologies for not knowing where to place this. I'm looking for some advice on the general per hour rates for hiring a drone and pilot. My interest is specifically around the Phantom 2 with the GoPro attached. Any insights would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.
If you look around I am sure you will find lots of info on how getting paid is not legal.

For the moment, it is still LEGAL to get paid for aerial work with a drone.
That may change next year though.

Umm.. hang on guys.. not real helpful replies.
I don't see it becoming illegal for licensed operators.

To the OP, it would be helpful to say where you are. I imagine wildly differing hire fees depending on country.
I'm planning to get into it too - working on my license at the moment.

Here in Australia, if you already have your pilot's license, it's **** hard to find someone who will certify you on type.
They all want to put you through a pilot's course for almost $5000. I may have to look interstate.

Jeez, not everyone is American? Just kidding. I am in America and thought the post were pretty funny.

To the OP .. Don't worry about some of the above. Aerial work is not illegal in some countries and if you are in the US, there are plenty of operators that fly below the radar - since the restrictions there are so stupid and not applied.

Suwaneeguy said:

Why do you say that? I saw you posted above on Nov 22. Surely you saw the ruling from the appeal on the Pirker case where pilot was fine $10,000?

Here:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/ ... its-rules/

and here

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorymcne ... -aircraft/

and here

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... ges-ruling

and here

http://online.wsj.com/articles/ntsb-rul ... 1416326767

Why do you think it is still legal? And if so, how is that different from the Pirker case listed in the 2 article above? I am trying to get a clarification and a better understanding.

yawnalot29 said:
Why do you say that? I saw you posted above on Nov 22. Surely you saw the ruling from the appeal on the Pirker case where pilot was fine $10,000?

The decision of the NTSB appeal has little if any bearing on the legality of commercial drone operations. Furthermore, the appeal sends the decision back to the judge for reconsideration. And it might not even portend an expanded definition of flying contrivance as it was said to be only in respect to the Pirker case.

Beyondcreative, your question is difficult to answer because it is so broad. Establishing a fair rate depends to a great extent on the nature of the job, as well as the person (or business) hiring you, your skill level, as well as the value you place on your own time.

I know of pilots who get $400-500 a day and a lucky few who charge quite a lot more. Will it include post-processing of the video or stills. Is it hazardous? (A geologist wanted me to film deep in a narrow canyon and I declined.)

Okay, now I'm confused! I thought it was illegal in the USA for commercial drone operations for pay. My understanding was everything was on hold while the FAA tries to figure out what to do with us!

Please enlighten me..

PhantomFanatic said:
Okay, now I'm confused! I thought it was illegal in the USA for commercial drone operations for pay. My understanding was everything was on hold while the FAA tries to figure out what to do with us!

Please enlighten me..

It's against the rules, but since there is no "law" baring you from commercial operations, it can't really be "illegal". This won't stop you from getting into some serious hot water with the FAA.

If you have seizable assets (and I'm thinking by their actions some of our members don't) you should avoid commercial work until the FAA lays out a path for certification.

Don't Charge For Photos Or Videos, However Charge For The Post Production Which Is Required.

No cybercitizen ... that might be repeated often enough on forums but won't carry any weight at all if you ever have to explain yourself. Despite some indications the FAA etc aren't that dumb.

Meta4 said:
No cybercitizen ... that might be repeated often enough on forums but won't carry any weight at all if you ever have to explain yourself. Despite some indications the FAA etc aren't that dumb.
Private pilots have been trying that ruse for years, and they always lose.

That's The Problem Though Your Contracted To Edit Photos And Videos Doesn't Matter What The Source Was.

However In Australia You Can't Use It For Any Commercial Purpose (Even If Supplying The Video Or Photos For Free). If You Want To Use It For Commercial Use You Need To Jump Though A Bunch A Hoops And Pay A Fortune.

CyberCitizen said:
However In Australia You Can't Use It For Any Commercial Purpose (Even If Supplying The Video Or Photos For Free). If You Want To Use It For Commercial Use You Need To Jump Though A Bunch A Hoops And Pay A Fortune.
In Oz, if you want to do it commercially, you just need to get a license.

If you have your PPL already, all you need is type certification and 5 hrs logged.
If you don't have your PPL, the course is around $4500 and includes type certification.

Honestly, if you're doing it as a business, the cost of entry isn't that terrible and it means fewer cowboys.

Narrator said:
If you have your PPL already, all you need is type certification and 5 hrs logged.
If you don't have your PPL, the course is around $4500 and includes type certification.

Honestly, if you're doing it as a business, the cost of entry isn't that terrible and it means fewer cowboys.
It's ridiculous overkill to require a private pilot's license to shoot a few real estate photography pics from treetop height with a 1.3kg Phantom. The sooner CASA get around to finalising their sub 2kg rule, the better.

Meta4 said:
It's ridiculous overkill to require a private pilot's license to shoot a few real estate photography pics from treetop height with a 1.3kg Phantom. The sooner CASA get around to finalising their sub 2kg rule, the better.
While I tend to agree, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence why they need to regulate even sub 2kg for safety. Real estate pics would be an ideal business, but all it would take is one house fire from LiPo batteries, or one aircraft incursion, or one more sports person hit by a UAV, or something else, to bring the whole industry under more scrutiny. At least with rules in place (like 30m from built-up areas), when something like this does happen, people will be able to point their finger at the unlicensed user and not vilify the industry as a whole.

p.s. Love your Glasshouse Mountains pics!

Suwaneeguy said:

Duh, can't you read.
Obviously illegal to operate a drone for hire.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues