Going high. Wanting to go 1500 ft up

No offense, but anyone who questions whether a 2.5 pound Phantom 3 could bring down a 747 obviously knows nothing about aircraft. Don't think of it as a drone hitting a plane and bringing it down. Think of it going through a jet engine. It will WRECK a jet engine in about 1/1,000'th of a second. Done Done deal. Remember the airliner that went down in the Hudson? Geese in the engine's will do it every time.

[QUOTE="Gary M, My concern with VRS is that I understand what it is, but I have never seen anything firm about what kind of descent speed will cause it.
Just don't descend straight down. Put a little horizontal motion and sprial down and you won't cause the vortex to form underneath the drone

I think you guys have convinced me to wait until I can have a spotter. I will go to Best Buy then and get some binoculars.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Hey Tony, go ahead buddy. I have my binoculars, I'll spot ya from here in Ohio. I just looked and the sky is clear.;)

Reactions: Tony Cowan
I kinda find it hard to believe that a 2.5 lbs drone can bring , say, a Boeing 747 down.. or even a smaller aircraft. Whats gonna happen is probably your drone gonna get blown outta the sky if hit by an aircraft flying over 200 mph... i dont think many phantom pilots constantly fly over 1000' high. But im sure most of us will go up at least once to test the height limits. I have.. Highest Altitude: 1,007 ft was up there for about 1 a min, hovered, then went back down to below 400'.

If i have any mid air impact, I'm required to land ASAP, and have the aircraft inspected by an FAA or TC AME before it can be flown again.

That is if the impact doesn't kill everyone onboard old enough to die.

The point was that small things like birds or a drone can have a big impact on a plane travelling over 100 knots. It was directed towards the person suggesting that a drone won't do much harm. Its all fun and games for us but lives are at stake for the pilots up there.

Reactions: Squirrel!
I dont want to turn this into an argument... is it possible to bring down a plane? Maybe, i dont know for sure.. is it likely to happen? Probably not. Even if a P3 happens to get into one of the planes engines, it can continue to fly and land with just one working engine.. Is it a good idea to constantly fly over the height limit? no, it is not. FAA doesnt want to take any chances, i get that. But for some to say that occasional flying over 400' will start bringing planes down left and right? not likely., Sure, when i get on a plane with my family, would i want to collide with a drone flying over the height limit? Hell no!.. But thats why there is a no-fly zone near airports, where planes land and take off at low altitude. Out of my 40 flights i went over 400' maybe 2-3 times, just to try it out.. BTW the Hudson plane had both engines taken out by a bunch of fat 10-15 pound birds, flying right over the airport... Small planes are more at risk. But i guess some folks are going to believe that impact with a drone will kill everyone on board no matter what...

I'm not saying not to try it, I've done it afterall, just saying that some ways are better than others. I mean with all due respect the guy didn't think airplanes even went lower than 5000 or something feet. Could you imagine if he never figured out that they regularly do? He might have been buzzing around 1000+ feet regularly greatly increasing the chances for a problem. And his latest comment kinda shrugging it off with "its a big sky up there" just make it look bad for him.

It's not like I will be lounging around at 1500ft sight seeing. However brief I will for sure go up. And do it as safe manner. Back down in less than 2 mins. Then that is it. In other places. Mountainous terrain. I will need to go over 400. But it's all in safety. Of course here in USA we have high volume of air traffic. But that is not world wide. In less developed countries hence the need to go high. I will not know how to do it without practice. And that is the main reason. Also will do it in atti mode if I feel confident. I'm
Not sure what they mean when no gps available. Shouldn't it be available world wide from anywhere ?

Reactions: Bob8619
I've had my P3P maxed out as far as altitude...1641 ft. I was in the mountains here in San diego and I never got further than 300 feet from the mountain terrain.....I always turn around at 60% battery on my distance flights.

I just want to see how many people will admit to going high. I at least want to test and get a quick picture or video and come back down in a minute or two. Please advice.

winds aloft vs winds on the ground - Bing video this is a good example of winds aloft. I didn't listen to the vid, and I don't know what kind of plane it is, but I'm positive its not running on 4 tiny electric motors. :eek:

Reactions: jointeffort
I don't think you need worry about vortex ring state. The P3 descent rate is not quick enough that the AC is affected by its own turbulence. I believe that is half the reason they govened it - so people could not enter VRS by descending too fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: N017RW
You don't have a P3S do you? The pro and the adv are souped up in a couple of ways, but how the bird flies isn't one of em. It could even be that they aren't as nimbal or fast as the standard because they carry the extra weight of Lightbridge.

No offense, but anyone who questions whether a 2.5 pound Phantom 3 could bring down a 747 obviously knows nothing about aircraft. Don't think of it as a drone hitting a plane and bringing it down. Think of it going through a jet engine. It will WRECK a jet engine in about 1/1,000'th of a second. Done Done deal. Remember the airliner that went down in the Hudson? Geese in the engine's will do it every time.
I don't understand, with the airports where passenger jets take off and land, why do some guys want to fly close to them? Is there something I haven't seen from the air? Is it the old moth and flame thing?

I have taken it up to 1600 feet over water. The main problem I see is wind speed at altitude. The Litchie report said I was seeing 45 mph gust at that height, and at the time it was going away. It was pretty well calm at the surface. Best not to rely on forecasts, Try stopping at 500 ft intervals and switch to ATTI for a short while see it it drifts much. About coming down to fast, if its starts turning on its own that's VRS then slow up or put some foreword stick on.

I'm sure a drone won't bring a 747 down - but neither would a 747 be flying at 1500ft unless landing/taking off - , however a light aircraft flying at 120kts could have severe consequences hitting the windscreen or prop. If drone operators have not flown in a light aircraft they may not appreciate the lower/forward visibility limitations of some cockpits and a drone ascending fast may not be visible for avoidance until too late, plus a tiny drone will be almost impossible to pick out against ground clutter. Finally, as pilots, we have temporary distraction due to navigation duties and also need to sweep the skies for other aircraft in uncontrolled airspace, so we're not looking dead ahead all the time, making it even more risky for drones to be in the same space.

Reactions: Bob8619
I agree it is not good for small aircraft. However they don't ascend so fast. I think max is 5ms. Only s bonehead will fly where known low flying aircraft are. Even in small
Aircraft you will not have a altitude of 1500 ft constant unless descending for s landing. What I mean is 50 miles from
Airport you will not be at 1500ft unless there is an issue. Hence why I will go over the ocean.

You're clueless to think that small planes only go that low when landing. And by water I think you mean going to the coast and flying it up from there? I don't know about where you are but around here , there are always low planes doing scenic flights over the water by the beaches

Yes. I live 3 miles from
Small airport. And I see planes at 300 ft all day long. But when you go out to the Gulf of Mexico. Very few planes. As a matter of fact. Very few small boats. No. I'm not clueless. I'm not in your area period. I'm in central Florida. What they do in your area is a not what they do everywhere.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20